Mile High Yoyo presents The Gnome

I have debated putting this write up here as it got rather long and it feels really self-indulgent. However, I decided that I do want to have this information somewhere that people would be able to see the details about this project. Hopefully it will be useful in the future if someone is wondering what the heck “The Gnome” is.

In September of 2022 while I was recovering from a devastating heel injury where I couldn’t walk or even stand for months I had a morning text conversation with my pal Nathan wherein I shared with him the characteristics of a design that I would love to see but surprisingly didn’t seem to exist – an undersized organic D bearing yoyo with schmoove groove in the response, a thumb grind lip and a hub that worked for perfect long fingerspins. In the course of that conversation, I came up with two other requirements – art from John Higby that emulated our club logo and design assistance from Patrick Dressel. By the end of that conversation, I even had the name “The Gnome” and at that point it seemed like a project that was destined to be. I outlined what steps would need to be taken and decided that if I got a “no” at any point that would be the answer to this project. So first to John to ask if he would do the art – YES. Then to Patrick to ask if he would do the design – YES. It seemed we were on the way.

When we received the prototypes I was shocked at how well we nailed the vision. The only thing that needed tweaking was the fingerspin dimple. The first version had no ridge around the dimple, which basically made you spin out immediately and was completely non-functional. A quick little CAD edit to add a tiny ridge and production was ordered!

So here we are with a club yoyo. The Gnome is a slightly undersized organic D-bearing yoyo designed for fun and performance. Crafted from 7068 Aluminum for durability and design, The Gnome features a prominent undercut rim which adds spin time and stability and is perfect for thumb grinds. Other notable features include a response area featuring a stylized schmoove, and a dimple made for fingerspin.

SPECS: 54mm diameter, 44mm width, 4.5mm gap, 62.7g, D bearing, 7068 AL

The first run featured art from John Higby with two different colorways each with their own engraving – this run sold out so fast we immediately started a second run:

Second run features art from @yoyoretro Nathan Bottcher www.nathanbottcher.com with four colorways. The “Forge Gnome” is sold exclusively through PlayForge Games in Littleton, our club home. They were so impressed with the first run they asked if they could get in on the second. Here is the “Forge Gnome”, available in “Fire” and “Water”:

The next colorway from the second run is the “Buddha Gnome” featuring a little Gnome centering himself on Peace and Love. “Om Mani Padme Hum” is a common Buddhist chant which we reference in the art:

Finally, the “Gnometrooper” which pays homage to one of my other major hobbies where I costume as a Stormtrooper in the 501st Legion:

We actually released the second run wide this past weekend. Gnometrooper sold out immediately. Limited supply still available on “Buddha Gnome” and “Forge Gnome”

And there you have it. The story of “The Gnome” - the yoyo nobody asked for!

30 Likes

I am so excited to get mine!! Thank you so much for accommodating me even though I’m a luddite and dont use IG!!

This design looks killer and the community involvement in art/design makes it even sweeter <3

2 Likes

I seen those yoyos a lot around, while is not my style of playing I have to say that the graphics, the idea and the colourways are great and very funny, this is such a good job and congratulations to you and to also transform your time recovering in something great!

2 Likes

Where can I get one of these? I saw someone post a pic on FB and it looked cool, but I really like the story behind it and it makes me “NEED ONE”!!!

2 Likes

You can msg @bobafret. If he has any left he can hook you up.

2 Likes

USPS killing me on this one lol, no update since they accepted the package and its due today =[

2 Likes

USPS tracking makes me crazy sometime! Like why did it just rest for days!?!?

2 Likes

Same here. They make me crazy sometimes.

2 Likes

So excited for The Gnome to get into more people’s hands!

4 Likes

Its so random too, the vast majority of my packages arrive a day early so I was mildly disappointed yesterday lol

2 Likes

My tracking finally updated. Package arrived at my local usps and will be out for delivery tomorrow.

1 Like

This little guy is ready to dress up for Halloween!

Who is ready for THE RETURN OF THE…

6 Likes

oooh, really like these yoyos, definitely want a gnome trooper

1 Like

Watch @milehighyoyo on insta plan to drop for Halloween!

2 Likes

cool, hopefully someone will post the date and time somewhere here, i’m not in the insta game.

1 Like

Just walked into a store in Littleton and saw these. Small world!!!

23 Likes

That’s Play Forge Games! Wish we had known youd be around, id have taken off work to come throw :sweat_smile::+1:

2 Likes

I’ll be back! Super quick, short trip. My FIL lives in the mountains like 20 minutes from golden.

Hope to be back in December and/or early January!

7 Likes

OMG that’s literally our home shop we meet at the park just down the street! Hit me up next time you are in town I will drop everything to hang out. Even if you are bored this evening!!!

6 Likes

Gotta have a meetup in January now when Augie is in town :handshake:

4 Likes