Midsize Bimetals: Where Art Thou?

There’s like 5 or 6 in my collection you could have tried that meet this criteria, when you were in my (admittedly very messy) office. Including the Batsquatch!! Which I agree is a truly outstanding yo-yo.

I also have a Yoshicuda. Annnd a Spectacle.

2 Likes

I’ll spend some time with it today and get back to you.

1 Like

It definitely feels dense, more so than any of the duncan bimetals. I like the extra heft over the barracuda X along with the smaller size, it feels very steady and predictable. It might be the best yoyo I have for the few tech tricks I know, it’s capable of moving very fast but you kind of have to will it to move. I find that when I’m trying to hop it from string to string its much easier to make this yoyo go where I intend for it to go. It moves really nicely on the string, and takes multiple layers of string in the gap without snagging or slowing rapidly. For me its response it just right, with a MarkMont copernicus string it binds nice and solid only when I want it to.

If I was given an unmarked yoshicuda and had to guess what it was I would be pretty positive it’s a Turning Point, the shape, the nipple in the hub, the multiple angles in the catch zone all look like a TP to me. It plays with that solid presence that I associate with TP bimetals, almost like someone shrunk an anubis. It plays a lot like the counterjet. You can really tell this yoyo was built for a 5a player.

4 Likes

Thanks for the review! I like the sound of that :blush:

2 Likes

+1 for the Duncan Exit 8. I’m quite partial to smaller throws and the Exit 8 is fantastic - comfortable shape, stable, long spinning and lots of fun! Looks great too.

4 Likes

At the time I thought the offering of the Yoshicuda X was SO COOL as a smaller version of the Barricuda X and I thought it would be in high demand by the community. But then it seemed like they just stopped making it and then crickets from the community. Not sure which came first, the stop in production or the crickets. I feel like it wasn’t given a chance to gain popularity.

Note, I have tried neither these yo-yos. I do have the Exit 8 and it’s wildly fun; very smooth, whisper quiet, nice compact size, and nothing feels so good on a regen. The sharp rims are baffling though.

Duncan’s bimetal line-up is stacked.

3 Likes

I think it was the stop in production. It seems like they did only 1 drop of it which sold out quickly. I know there’s people searching for it but you never see it on the bst so they give up. Most people aren’t going to be talking about it if there aren’t very many out there. I think it was unfairly criticized because it feels denser than the cuda X, maybe this discouraged duncan from doing another run. It also kind of got lost in the noise since Duncan dropped a bunch of excellent but more mainstream yoyos at the same time, the exit8 also suffered the same fate. @bjardin will we ever see more?

In addition to the Batsquatch, which I have and love - and think meets all your criteria, how about the FD Rooster? A bit wider than you identified, but otherwise the specs are there. I’ll be able to speak to how it plays when USPS finally gets its act together and delivers mine.

Thanks for reaching out man. YoshicudaX is definitely a good yo-yo. We only made 400 pcs on the first run, and I’d say 15% of that is defective.

Second run is a complete trash, over 50% are defectives (vibe/wobble).

We are redesigning the YoshicudaX - similar look, similar performance, but changing the way the SS is attached to the body which causes the vibe.

Yoshihiro really liked it and you’ll probably the official second batch sometime this year including his first signature counterweight.

7 Likes

the boost checks the boxes. Its very powerful and stable

1 Like

That’s great news! I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled :eyes:

Kinda hard to find these days, and slightly smaller than the specs you listed, but the Helix has always been one of my favorite small/mid-size bimetals.

2 Likes

SoSerious Chronos I can recommend fitting into your spec.

1 Like

Just thought I’d put another plug for the batsquatch. I’ve tried about a ton of yoyos especially bimetals recently. Few left me with the wow and feeling of the batsquatch. It’s an absolutely amazing throw.

2 Likes

This thread has been super helpful to me! I was drawn here looking for input on the Yoshicuda X and Exit8 since Duncan has a sale right now. Your criteria sound quite a bit what I’m looking for.

I’ve been super intrigued by the Smashing Spectacle, but it’s hard to find and I’m a bit frugal. I was excited to see the Yoshicuda X on sale, but with the void of reviews from the community on it (except for the few saying it was heavy and slightly worse than the Barracuda X), I’ve been a bit nervous to decide. The comments here will definitely factor into my decision.

2 Likes

I scrolled through kind of quickly and am a little surprised I didn’t see anything about the Haymaker OG. Definitely a smaller bimetal with an organic shape.

Weight: 61.4g/2.17oz
Width: 40.83mm/1.61in
Diameter: 52.75mm/2.08in

Haymaker OG

I think it’s a lot of fun and certainly different than everything else I have. Great little throw.

*my apologies if I’m not allowed to copy YYE pictures here.

1 Like

I always wondered why no one ever talks about this one. It looks like a fun undersized throw.

1 Like

A rare truly undersized yoyo that I really enjoy and doesn’t feel (to me) like I am sacrificing power or control.

2 Likes

That would be pretty weird.

1 Like

This is my suggestion I believe it fits the bill.
Sputnik Yo-yorecreation
66grams 52mm diameter 42mm wide.

Maybe a bit too undersized in comparison to what you are describing

4 Likes