Light, Mid-sized Bimetals

So I’ve always been a fan of mid-sized throws (which to me are throws in the >52mm, <55mm range) but a tendency I’ve often seen with monometal mid-sized throws is that they can easily fall into one of two camps:

• Light and speedy but lacking a bit of spin time compared to their full sized counterparts, or
  • Long spinning and stable but very solid and a bit too heavy feeling on the string.

So I’ve long been curious whether a bimetal mid-sized yo-yo could get the best of both worlds: long spinning and reasonably stable while still feeling light and decently speedy (though it definitely doesn’t need to be a speed demon). But there are relatively few bimetals of this size, with the majority in the full sized category. So I was hoping you guys could point me in the direction of some throws I’ve missed and give me some input on how the throws I’ve managed to find play.

Some bimetal mid-sized throws I’ve seen which I’m curious about include: YYR Toru 0.999 and the 0.99; the Empathy Physix; and the Duncan Yoshicuda X. The Toru 0.999 in particular looks interesting with the POM outer rim.

The Sengoku Nobumecha, YYR Chopsticks Gorilla and Empathy Southside also fit into this size range though I’ve read that all have a very solid feeling on the string which isn’t what I’m looking for here.

Just to give a bit of background for my preferences, I enjoy V, W and to a lesser degree H shapes (though this shape tends to lead to a solid, heavier feeling in my experience) but I’m not interested in high wall organics (rounded V/W/H shapes like the YYR Inevitable or CLYW Chief are fine) and I’ve found that I usually don’t care for inner ring bimetals. For width I tend to enjoy mid-sized throws in the 43-46mm range but am open to wider throws, and for binds I find snaggy or really slippy binds to be a big turn off, though most throws are in the 4.5mm gap range now which works nicely I find.

Anyway, big post but I figure if I’m going to ask for recommendations I might as well be specific lol. Any input would be appreciated.

4 Likes

Yoyofriends tankette? Almost 52 mm diametre. Maybe that would suit you?

1 Like

I noticed you mentioned the Yoshicuda X. This is a phenomenal throw. It always felt just slightly larger than I liked and I just got the Tankette yesterday and it’s “almost” a mini Yoshi. The feel of it is amazing, light, yet still feels very present on the string and powerful. The shape feels great in the hand. The Parallel is very similar in size but feels and plays different. It is more powerful and feels a tad more dense and present on the string, but it is so nimble and easy to control. There is also the Duncan Haymaker OG in this same size range. It’s also a very comfortable and extremely capable throw. All 3 are amazing and the only mono that I pick up anymore is the Top Deck. All of these out perform similar mono throws that I have or have had and for that reason, I don’t look for monos anymore. This is just me and I know opinions will vary on this. I will say without hesitation…if you are intrigued by the Yoshicuda…you will be far from disappointed by it…it literally changed unresponsive play for me. That’s about all I can offer here and I’m not some amazing player so there are certainly factors that I haven’t considered for myself but public opinion seems very similar on these particular throws.

4 Likes

Grasshopper 2 would be a great choice

1 Like

Mowl O+ or David yo-yos Dreamland.

2 Likes

Aceyo ace of aces is 54mm with a good bit of power but still nimble on the string

6 Likes

Love my Yoshicuda. If you want something a bit wider I was impressed by the aceyo Ace of aces x. It plays lighter than the Yoshicuda.

3 Likes

Beat me to it :laughing:

1 Like

Have you tried a TiVayder?

2 Likes

What about the yyfr Da Vinci? Seems made exactly to these specs. I love mine.

1 Like

Hydrogen crash is light and powerful. Fits most of the requirements you are looking for, although a bit oversized in diameter.

1 Like

Maybe the Plasma Crash? It’s a little closer to the target diameter range (55.34mm).

2 Likes

This is a better take. Plasma crash isn’t as fast or light as Hcrash is but still is indeed speedy and still in the light range of yoyos.

2 Likes

My ti-walker/vayder were the throws that inspired this question lol. I love the light, zippy feel mixed with their size but they lag just slightly behind in spin compared to my bimetals.

The Ace Yo Ace of Aces X isn’t one I had heard of but it looks very interesting (and dang, $60 for a bimetal is very affordable).

This article isn’t focused on speedy necessarily, but it has a wealth of info: Midsize Bimetals: Where Art Thou??

I personally didn’t like my Yoshicuda, but you can read about that in the linked thread. Mainly because of vibe (Duncan had serious QC issues with this design), and it’s the heaviest feeling throw I’ve ever used (and I have a 68g+ one I love).

A YYFr Hummingbird sounds like what you’re looking for. It’s 62g, v-shaped, and bimetal. I generally hate light yoyos, but it has a really impressive amount of power and stability while also being quite quick (has a reputation for being one of the fastest ever). Also, YYFr is really known for snappy but not snaggy response. It is 56mm diameter, but it being slightly narrower in width makes it feel smaller overall.

Yoshicuda is one of my best throws. Can’t go wrong with the yoyo if you like rim weight, and a slightly smaller throw. As a bonus it is awesome at 5a.

Just snagged a Yoshicuda on sale for $57. Killer deal.

2 Likes

A lot of love being shown to the Yoshi so I’ll def need to keep an eye out for it in the future. I am curious if anyone has some experience with the YYR Toru 0.999/0.99 or the Empathy Physix, though those 3 are all boutique/niche throws in comparison to the Yoshi.

And thanks everyone for the responses and mentioning a few more mid-sized bimetals in the diameter range that I didn’t know about.

1 Like

Bi metal 888 is slower than a standard 888 but faster than most bi metals I’ve tried

Other than Toru and Physix, I can recommend Empath and Method also rocks for mid-sized.

Also if you love capped yoyo, Motif is one of the best, it hit just at 55mm but it’s light and feels good

New Tone and New Monotone are also great one you can consider, both hit right at max diameter and width of your preference