Midsize Bimetals: Where Art Thou?

Shape Criteria:

I’m scoping out a bimetal that:

1. falls into the midsize range (see table below)
  2. profile in the organic spectrum (few/ no hard lines in the catch-zone)

Approximately the same dimensions as the TiVayder:

Diameter ~53-54 mm
Width ~42-44 mm
Weight ~62-65 grams

Play-Feel:

Something powerful like the OD Top Deck.

Stability is a non-issue.

Easily maneuverable/ not a rock. Dare I say, ‘floaty’?

BUT also not too light.

Comfy in the hand.

Final Thoughts:

I thought the Yoshicuda X looked very promising to me, but it seemed to garner skepticism from the community as being inferior to the slightly larger Barricuda X; which is a little larger diameter than I’m looking for. And the Yoshicuda X is not currently available either.

6 Likes

You want a Batsquatch. Checks all the boxes.

13 Likes

Oh wow, you’re right lol:

Batsquatch
Diameter 54.5 mm
Width 43.93 mm
Weight 63.61 grams

My question is, have you played one? And if so, does it hit the play-feel criteria listed above?

4 Likes

Yes, I own one and have played it. It definitely hits your play-feel criteria, and beautifully I might add.

However, I must disclose that I’m still kinda fuzzy on the whole “floaty” vs. “flowy” thing, and so I make no promises that the Batsquatch is as floaty (or flowy) as you would like. Maybe someone else with more experience and a better grasp of these concepts can chime in.

4 Likes

Smashing Yoyos Spectacle.

It is the only bimetal I own and the only one I have enjoyed playing (which is why I still own it). It falls into the criteria you are after:

Diameter: 54mm
Width: 44mm
Weight: 63.3g

I like it because it doesn’t feel like a brick on the end of a string and there is definitely a floaty feeling to it.

6 Likes

Not entirely sure these two are juxtaposed :thinking:

Let’s see, without digressing too much… Top Deck isn’t what I would consider “floaty”, the Ti Vayder on the other hand, is what I would consider “floaty”.

Floaty is definitely more about technique, but certain weight distributions do lend themselves well to the discipline.

1 Like

In those terms, I’d say the Batsquatch plays/feels much more like a Ti-Vayder than a Top Deck.

2 Likes

Nice :sunglasses:

Thanks man!

Thanks for the input, mate!

1 Like

Was just going to post this!

I think you’d love the Batsquatch @smileypants707. It’s such a cool yo! Feels great in the hand, but it’s also really powerful and stable as heck. It’s comfy like an organic but performs like a high performance beast.
I love my Batsquatch.

I’ve never played a Top Deck…but I have played with some powerful throws…and this one has plenty of punch/power to it!
Definitely not a rock…but I definitely wouldn’t call it floaty. Then again, I don’t think I’m skilled/experienced enough to express my opinions on floatyness with confidence.
And it’s super comfy in the hand!

Seems like just the yo you’re looking for!

1 Like

The Typo that’s coming from OP.

!

9 Likes

I came here to post “Smashing Spectacle” but beebon beat me to it.

6 Likes

Oh my…

This looks promising! I especially like the profile. Nothing against the Batsquatch, I just have quite a few yoyos that share that same basic profile. This one looks nice.

But the incoming hype and [assumed] limited quantity. *sigh #firstworldproblems

I’ll keep it on my radar, thanks for the heads up Durfee!

1 Like

2nd.

Shuppet Donk!

1 Like

I had to look this up.

3 Likes

Such a fun trick although I could never get last slack done very well or at all.

2 Likes

Death Adder is pretty dang close. Little bit bigger diameter, but it doesn’t feel too big at all. It’s the yoyo I’m throwing probably 90% of the time.

2 Likes

Not the vibe I was shooting for, but thanks for the heads up :wink:

1 Like

I’m going to purchase it myself so I can let you know how I like it. It’s not releasing for a little bit. Generally the OP stuff is limited but doesn’t instantly sell out. Just be aware that their monos go for 120 so a bimetal will definitely be more than that.

I’m personally trying to venture out of my preferred specs a little bit so I’m curious how much I’ll like it. Gives me Turning Point vibes.

1 Like

I absolutely love the spectacle. Duncan’s exit8 is another great one. It fits your play feel, and is just a hair under 53mm. Its my favorite of duncan’s recent bimetals. I prefer the yoshicuda over the barracuda x.

Grab a spectacle if you can find one, but the exit 8 is good also and readily available.

4 Likes

Yoshicuda is very appealing to me. Care to give me a simple review? Does it play/ feel similar to anything else?