Memento Review

First of all, I want to give a huge huge thanks to @anon17117379 for sending me this, I’m loving this thing so much (this review is my honest thoughts I tried to keep it as non-bias as possible).

Backstory:
If you don’t know mike, he is a youtube-er with over 6.5k subscribers, he also posts on IG and Tiktok. So about a year ago, Mike got a markmont classic and loved it, until his string snapped and it got a flat spot introducing vibe. But then someone on Reddit was super nice and gifted him a jackknife. He loved both yoyos, but he wanted to try making a yoyo again. He asked Jordan (@chaosgow) for help with the design which is based on those two designs, Jordan gave it a few updates based on a Ti design he did a while back for his own company and they ended up with the Memento! (This is mike’s 6th yoyo that he has designed/manufactured)

Specs:
Diameter – 56mm
Width – 46mm
Weight – 65.8g
Material – 6061 Aluminum
Axle length – 12mm T4
Gap – 4.6mm
Bearing – CT (size c)

Unboxing:
The Memento comes in a box that include… Some black paper tissue that wraps the yoyo to provide some protection. 2 stickers (1 Mike Monty sticker and 1 zipline sticker), and a zipline skyline III string which adds to the Boutique feel of the product.

First Impressions:
Picking the yoyo up, you’ll immediately feel the lack of weight almost making it feel like a plastic yoyo (which is amazing for an EDC throw). The throw has an amazing Matte finish which gives it an almost “soft” feel to it. The memento has a very comfortable shape making it easy on your hands to throw and catch. It has the perfect amount of power to the point where it can finish your longer combos, but come back to your hand with a jarring hit. At first, the response pads are little too grippy, but they wear in pretty quickly. It handles grinds like a champ, only having trouble with finger spins due to the hub in the center.

Pros:

• High-quality feel
  • Long Spin times
  • Comfortable to hold
  • Nice Width
  • Grinds Well
  • Comes With Amazing Accessories
  • Colors are amazing
  • Minimalist Engraving

Cons:

• Response pads are a little Grippy at first (Needs a little more break-in time than usual)
  • Standard Axle (8mm) won’t fit and can get stuck in the yoyo
  • Isn’t Great for finger spins
  • Like all organics, it isn’t the best for horizontal

Here is the memento with an 8mm axle. As you can see it can get stuck easily, so PLEASE only use either the included 12mm axle or another 12mm axle.

Overall, I think @anon17117379 and @chaosgow did an amazing job designing this beauty of a yoyo. It plays well for EDC, and at its price point, you really can’t beat it.
If you have any comments/questions ill be glad to answer them. I hope you enjoyed this review!

14 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to review the Memento @Kyle, I’m happy to read it’s been well received and that you were able to find an alternate axle after the incident :wink: speaking of which, I have spare axles. If you (or anyone who has a Memento) needs a replacement because they’ve bent or lost theirs, just let me know and I can mail one out. I only have 25 at the moment but will probably go picked up a few more eventually.

8 Likes

What a massive wall of text haha

Glad you’re enjoying it though!

3 Likes

three paragraphs is a wall of text now? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the review Kyle! I’m glad to see Mike’s still active in the scene.

1 Like

I still read it all and I appreciate it. I’ve spoken to Kyle a bunch so he knows I’m kidding

5 Likes