Me again, having more issues lol

I recommend trying this before the lube, it should solve your problem.

2 Likes

Or just put some vasoline on those bearing balls, works better than thick lube and you probably have it in your house already

1 Like

double looping it seems to have made it a little more responsive… still needs a huge tug to come back up and the string doesnt exactly wrap tightly… ill try a triple loop next, thanks

3 Likes

This all has become far more complicated than it should be for several reasons.

• I am struggling to understand the need of a metal yoyo for be a beginner.
  • I am not sure how lube or fidgeting with equipment is the answer.
  • I am not sure how double or triple looping the axle is the answer.

This player just wants to begin playing and having fun.

Fidgeting with equipment is no fun. It does nothing to help a beginner learn the basics.

A beginner should be able to buy a yoyo.

Open the package.

Cut the string for the correct length.

Put the string on.

Start throwing.

My suggestion would be. Return whatever that metal yoyo is and find something inexpensive to begin with. Inexpensive does not mean the thing is cheap. It just means it is priced at a point that it is valuable for the person it is intended to be sold to.

I recommend a Yoyo Factor Whip. $5.99. Make sure you order the responsive version.

Duncan Butterfly XT. (NOT the Butterfly) $5.99.

Yoyo Factory One $9.99.

Yoyo Factor Velocity. $14.99. You can move up to unresponsive play later when you are ready.

Don’t move up to something higher until you are actually ready. I made this mistake! Soon I “needed”, that better yoyo. I wasted money. Don’t get caught up in fidgeting with equipment. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it.

Play.

Have Fun!

Learn as you go. Not before you know.

2 Likes

these are both yoyo factory incase anybody searches it up

Thanks!
My stupid use of spell check. Factor is an English word. LOL.

1 Like

When I got my Sherpa, the shorter axle and bearing played unresponsive until it was lubed. (Shipped bone dry)

Like some others have said, I recommend a dab of thick grease. I was worried it would make the yoyo play like a fixed axle and kill spin time but it turns out to be just in that sweet spot for spin time and tug response.

Also worth keeping in mind is that any responsive bearing is going to need fresh lube eventually, but even a tiny bottle of thick lube should last a really long time.

4 Likes

100% agree. Someone new to the hobby needs a toy that will work straight from the package. All of these meet that requirement.

1 Like

To be fair, the Sherpa was only 30 bucks on sale so I thought that was inexpensive. Its also listed on this site as an intro metal yoyo. The Oscillator I got was 100 bucks lol. Ill try using the thick lube. I was just more confused when i got the unresponsive yoyo. Then even more confused why the one labeled responsive didnt work as i thought. They should note on this site that lube may be needed for the nicer yoyos to work properly.

1 Like

Before placing the order for the lube, is the ANYTHING else i should consider buying for the Sherpa yoyo? And can I swap the Oscillator bearings out to make it responsive like the Sherpa is able to swap between responsive and unresponsive? If so, which ones do i get?

1 Like

I give you a lot of credit for sticking with it. I remember being new and getting a YYF One (which is a pretty small yoyo) and liking it a lot.

I feel good recommending light grease in the bearing of the Sherpa. That will reduce spin time, but, should give a pretty snappy response. I have a friend who is into RC trucks. I asked him if he thought the fuel trucks were better than electric. His response was “get a nitro if you enjoy adjusting carburetors as much as you enjoy driving your toy”. Yoyos shouldn’t need that kind of effort to work.

2 Likes

Funny story, I was looking at RC trucks also, and the guy at the store said get electric, unless you like high maint toys lol. Youll be doing a lot of work on the gas ones, so unles you like rebuilding motors, get the electric lol!

1 Like

I can’t say “ANYTHING,” but okay order the lube it might help. But again you’ll find yourself spending time fidgeting with lube and this that and the 3rd.
Wouldn’t you rather play?
$30 is in my opinion a lot of money for a beginner yoyo. But that’s my opinion.
I would much rather see a beginner spend less than $10 or less than $20 and get something they can enjoy right out of the package and have fun playing.
After all it is play. Not rocket science.

3 Likes

My son and I wound up getting electric Traxxas trucks. Even electric, you wind up replacing motors, repacking bearings, replacing parts you break when you crash…there is a lot to them too :slight_smile:

Back to yoyos- I would probably say buy a whip or a One, play them and see if you want to continue. Like any hobby, yoyo can become as deep of a money pit as you let it I think the trick is to make sure you enjoy it before dumping a lot of cash. Also remember, there isn’t a yoyo made that comes with tricks pre-loaded. It is a skill toy.

1 Like

Yes absolutely 100% agree, every hobby has things that need maintenance.
Yoyos are one of those. However like all other hobbies it is a hobby, and a hobby is for enjoyment.
That should be the primary thing of yoyo play.
Enjoyment.

3 Likes

Triple wrapping it around the bearing worked like a charm. Ill still buy some lube for it, but I’m much happier now =)

5 Likes

First off, you don’t need special yoyo lube. For a responsive type yoyo 3-in-1 oil will work just fine, or you can get this: Synco Super Lube. It’s the same thing Yomega sells as brain lube. Readily available in hardware stores.

Lube the bearing. That will make it responsive.

** Lube makes bearings responsive. It’s a fact of yoyo life. Other than that fidgeting is probably not needed.

** double and triple looping the string makes the string grab the bearing more efficiently, thus it makes the yoyo more responsive. If the bearing is lubed, it is even more reponsive.

If you just want simple, no brainer yoyoing, buy the cheap duncan imperial or butterfly with the steel axle.

3 Likes