What am I doing wrong?

I’ve just been starting to get into grinds ,fingerspin and whip tricks lately. It started out fine but over the last week or so when I tug the yoyo up it binds on me. It’s not just one yoyo either, it’s happening with all my throws. I don’t know if I’ve developed a bad habit, but I’m doing something that I wasn’t doing previously.

3 Likes

What yoyos and any special bearings that you have in them? Are you using lube at all too?

If you throw just a sleeper and do a tug is the yoyo returning?

1 Like

All stock bearings that came with the yoyos. A check point pivot, a katana and a magic yoyo node. I haven’t used any lube on any of them, but with them all doing the same thing I figured it must be me. Sometimes a tug off a sleeper will bring them up, other to.es it doesn’t.

1 Like

Your bearings probably turned resposive. I don’t know the reason(it is weird that all your three yoyos turned responsive). You have to clean them and they should be unresponsive again. GL!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not one to mess around with stuff until it’s needed so I haven’t pulled any of them apart. It might be time. Cheers

3 Likes

It is actually weird. Usually bearings don’t turn responsive out of nothing haha

2 Likes

How old is your string

1 Like

I’ve had this happen before, usually the bearing just needs lube. You also might want to check your bearings for hair. Funny that it happened on all three of them though.

1 Like

Are they louder than normal?

Properly clean your bearings my friend :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah clean the bearing, it’s fouled most likely.

Thanks for all the replies. I thought it was strange that all of them went responsive at around the same time too. It made me think that I was doing something different. Will give them all a clean and see how I go.

It may be that your string is old. I’ve had a similar experience when using an old and fat pure Nylon string. They get a fuzz at the bottom after a lot of play that can cause this issue at times. Good luck!

Adding lubrication to this problem will actually make it worse, not better.

@Willsy try these steps. Throw a sleeper. Lightly tug upward in the string, only get the yoyo to come up a foot or two. Does the string “chase” around the bearing, or does it stay right at the top of the yoyo? If it chases you likely need to clean the bearing. There are lots of videos available to walk you through it. I don’t use lube on my bearings after I clean them but many folks do. If you choose to use lube on the bearing only use the smallest amount. Too much lube in the bearing will actually make it responsive.

1 Like