My brand new bearings are turning responsive

I made this account just to get some advice from more experienced players so here I go. I’m having a problem with my brand new unresponsive yoyos becoming responsive, I have a brand new atom smasher and shutter and I’ve cleaned the bearings following the yotricks guide several times and am using minimal lube. they just won’t spin very well/perform slack tricks right. I found paint shavings in my shutter bearing and figured that was the problem but nope. Pls send help :frowning:

1 Like

What are you using for lube and how much are you using?

I’m using yyf thin and as close as I can get to Brandon Vi’s video

1 Like

Vu* stinkin autocorrect

I reckon you only use the lube for cleaning the bearing? If it is you are doing the opposite way, but the only proper way to clean it is using the lighter fluid to wash out the lubes inside the bearing to make it unresponsive.

Heres the video example on how to do it

Sorry if I wasn’t super clear, I clean it with pure acetone, de shield it and everything. I even tried the paper method

1 Like

I notice it tends to grab when I I bring my hand up with the yoyo, like as long as I move my hand out of the way it doesn’t come back, but I can hardly do any sidestyle slack tricks, especially laceration binds

It can definitely be tricky cleaning and lubing bearings. I have some questions,
1 - Were both of the bearings becoming responsive before you cleaned them?
2 - Is it very humid wherever you live?
3 - How often were you changing your string before they became responsive?

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s just better to toss a problematic bearing than waste time cleaning. I usually only clean bearings that I really like if they ever get dirty. You could maybe also try not lubing at all just in case the lube or the amount is the problem. But again, sometimes even an un-lubed bearing will be responsive or semi. I’ve gotten a few brand new yoyos before where they aren’t 100% reliably unresponsive even after cleaning the bearing and in those few cases, even when it was a supposedly nice bearing, I just replaced it with a new one.

3 Likes

1- yes

2- Washington state winter so I suppose

3- for the atom smasher I changed my string every couple days. My shutter is newer and only lasted a couple days before it started and I changed almost every day. I use yyf string

I cleaned it today using the paper method and didn’t lube. It’s better but still comes back

1 Like

How long are you letting it sit in acetone . I usually will leave mine in about an hour then dry it with those canned air electronic duster things . I don’t bother lubing anymore because the reward isn’t worth the risk of having to clean my bearing again if I put to much lol .

Edit :

This is the duster I was talking about

2 Likes

I actually did use that after I lived to see if I could eject some, but I’ll try leaving it longer, thanks

Lubed*

What is your time worth?

I would buy a new bearing and start playing again.

1 Like

And I went about 10 min in the acetone and 20 to dry

If it comes to it I guess I have no choice ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It worked!! Thank you all so much and happy new year :smiley:

4 Likes

So glad that got sorted out! Honestly, the canned air trick is the best piece of advice I’ve ever gotten with regards to bearing maintenance.

As you gain experience you’ll find the set up that works for you and your environment, as what works for some people doesn’t work for everyone (for example, running my bearings dry works the best for me but that causes responsiveness issues for some).

Glad it worked!

1 Like