McBride's triple or nothing

Can you guys land it on the one string most of the time or should I just say ‘close enough’ and move on?

1 Like

You can learn to separate the strings by pointing your fingers outwards. It takes some time, but it’s worth it to have the skill in the bank for future tricks.

You can do it, don’t give up!

6 Likes

You can’t properly “unwind” the Triple or Nothing unless you land it on the (correct) one string, so I would strongly recommend taking the time to get it right. I’m in the same boat in that I don’t land it on the right string very often yet, but I refuse to give up on it!

2 Likes

Awesome guys, I’ll keep at it.

I just pop it up and land in a trapeze.

1 Like

Pulling the strings with your thumbs seems to help. I figured this video was the easiest way to explain it.

2 Likes

I use my TH thumb to help separate the strings

2 Likes

When the yoyo comes around keep the string wraps right at the base of your index fingers except on the final wrap. On the final wrap have the string go around the middle of your NTH index.

And I don’t think Dennis McBride invented triple or nothing. I’m not positive of that though. @yyfben2.deactivated or @AndreBoulay would know.

2 Likes

I meant the triple or nothing in McBride’s Roller Coaster.

I should have been clearer.

Let us know how you get on, good luck

3 Likes

Try using a bit of a longer string while practicing this trick…then what helps me, is to focus on keeping the string behind my middle knuckle (close to my hand) then on the final wrap having it between the middle knuckle and the knuckle towards the tip of my finger.

Another way to learn triple or nothing that helped me a LOT…is the trick Rewind. I’ve actually read that quite a few people learn how to do triples because of this trick. Plus it’s a cool looking trick and is really fun to do! :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I try to do. I land it maybe every 15 times.

It is a fun trick!

1 Like

A few quick things I tell people:

• When you throw the initial throw - throw further up and away from your body which allows a larger ‘arc’ and therefore the yo-yo swings slower as it comes around. The slower it is swinging the more time you have to react which helps.

• I teach people to try and bring the first two strings as close down on your finger towards your hand as possible. One way to do this is to point your pointer fingers up right more for the first two passes so the string automatically slides down. Then as you go to catch the triple slowly bringing the yo-yo as close to your pointer finger as possible usually results in success if the first two parts are followed!

Yeah - let us know how it goes. You can do it! :blush:

7 Likes

I’ve found it also helps to sorta push the TH pointer finger out away from the body a bit on the final loop. That helps separate that last string from the others and also, for me at least, straightens out that string so it is more evenly aligned under the yoyo when it comes down to land on it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys!

1 Like

Now I feel like a real idiot haha…because when I posted this…I was thinking of just the regular triple or nothing. Not the roll into a triple like in mcbride’s.

…And now I’m in the same boat as you. Working on this trick but unable to land it on just the single string!

1 Like

It’s a fluke for me.

1 Like

I switched from the thicker Ammo to a standard Airetic and now I hit the one string much more frequently.

1 Like