Need help on the Mcbride's Rollercoaster trick

Hey guys,

I’m running down the yoyo expert tricks list and I’m having trouble landing the triple or nothing part of the mcbride’s rollercoaster. I keep landing on both strings and i can’t seem to find a way to land on the outer single string. Do you guys have any tips?

Thanks

2 Likes

For me. Its harder because i have shorter fingers. With saying that. A yoyo thats thinner in width can help this be easier. I find going a little slower around the double or nothing part and allowing the string on your non throw hand loosen up a tad while swinging pass the double or nothing. If you can wiggle string slightly back to your wrist while it getting closer to the triple. It allows more room/cleaner landing area for triple. While learning, this can look sloppy, but it will get better and faster. I even have to slightly clean up the string on non throw hand when landing the triple or nothing because i had to “make room” for that triple landing with the string on non throw hand. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

On that last move, after dropping from Double-Or-Nothing into a single trapeze, and then the whole move-thing into Triple-Or-Nothing, here’s what I do:

On the first pass over your throw-hand, where you’re basically in a Double-Or-Nothing with your throw-hand index in the second loop, I immediately snag the closest top string with my throw-hand thumb and pull it a little closer to me. That helps me spread out all of the strings quite a bit more.

The next pass after that, that’s meant to finish in the Triple-Or-Nothing, while you’re passing it up and over your non-throw-hand index finder, I shift the other strings back past the closest knuckles on my fingers, and use my knuckles to help keep them spread out a bit.

It sounds like it’s basically the same as Yoyogems discussed, with the exception of the throw-hand thumb snagging that closest top string.

I also had to start envisioning the yoyo kinda spiraling out away from me and the string spiraling inward toward me. When I first tried it, for some reason I had it backwards in my head and I was always hitting basically every string when landing the yoyo.

This is a move you can really slow down and take step by step. That is, do just that first pass over the throw-hand and let it stop. Make sure all of your strings are correct (i.e. Double-Or-Nothing, but throw-hand index in the same loop closest to the yoyo). Shift them around a bit. Then give it a swing up and over the non-throw-hand.

I find practicing the Shockwave after Magic Drop move helpful, too, because it’s a similar type of move.

Also, just practice Triple-Or-Nothing by itself, or even as part of Rewind. I have kind of short fingers, and even Rewind sometimes gives me trouble if I’m not really thinking about the position of the strings over my fingers.

3 Likes

You might want to experiment moving the loop down towards your palm to give you more room.

3 Likes

Well said. The shifting of the strings on knuckles on non throw hand is my point on my response.

2 Likes

Did you get rewind working ok? I feel like that trick helps you figure out string placement on your fingers pretty well for those three different landings. Rewind took me a long time to get right. Before I really started on Rollercoaster I spent a lot of time just working on the 1.5 until that was smooth enough. Rollercoaster wasn’t too hard after that. I’m just about to start Buddha’s Revenge so that trick was pretty recently landed for me.

3 Likes

I will definitely do that. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

rewind is good for working on landing triple or nothing, also try throwing directly to triple on occasion to see if you can feel the strings and sort of adjust as it passes to the next finger. also, you can just throw a trapeze, put your yo hand index in the loop, and practice rolling to triple right form there.