MB's World of nickel plating!!! BareKnuckles 50Cal

Introducing what many of you have been waiting for, Nickel Plating! This is the first one I have ever done and I am very pleased with the results. A few blemishes but that is what I had expected for the first time out. Needed to get my feet wet and see what the process was like as well as what the build up tolerances would be. Some fine tuning and it will be game on.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3745/11616854364_a0be5ba68b_c.jpg
IMG_20131228_225405_357 by mullicabob, on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7369/11616509385_0231f9c52d_c.jpg
IMG_20131228_225504_966 by mullicabob, on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/11617242016_66dce5a4be_c.jpg
IMG_20131228_225338_751 by mullicabob, on Flickr

Chances are if you start nickel plating as a business I’ll send my entire collection to you. Yeah I love nickel. This looks great. How do you like the 50 cal. I played at ga states and it’s definitely surprising due to how light it plays. How much did the plating effect the bearing seat?

Surprising throw the 50 cal. Looks like a weapon but is very light and surprisingly agile for a big fellow.

Seat is good. Will most likely mask the bearing post in the future. After plating it was a little snug but not a problem.

Yeah you can definitely tell where it gets the name.
That’s good about the bearing I was a little worried.

Any price estimate? Does it affect they weight?

Anyway it looks completely fantastic!

#PutAllMyMoneyIntoYourWallet

#NickelAllMyThrows

Once I have the process down cold I will be offering the service. Need to make sure things are spot on before they go out the door.

^awesome job that nickel is so shiny

1 Like

Im interested in this also. Please keep us posted

Do you know how much you’ll be charging for this service? And can you do black nickel plating?

Any updates? I’d love to get 2 or 3 of my throws nickel plated :slight_smile: that throw looks really nice!

Nice work dude! Let me know if you need some stuff to practice on:)

Appreciate the offer. I will be doing surgery on my own stock with this one.

I don’t really understand the difference between nickel playing and polishing…

NIckel plating is adding a layer of nickel on top of the yoyo whereas polishing is just adding a shine to the existing metal.

Nickel is actually plated onto the surface of the material.

Polish shines the surface of the material itself.

Polishing takes off aluminum to make it smoother, which makes it more shiny. Nickel plating is putting on a thin layer of nickel, which is the same metal that makes up 25% of the United States 5 cent coin. They look the same, but they are very different.

Is nickel softer or harder than aluminum?

If my research is correct, nickel (the metal, not the coin) has a density of 8.908 g/mL and 6061 aluminum has a density of 2.7 g/mL. Therefore, nickel is more dense, or “harder”. By the way, 7075 aluminum has a density of 2.81 g/mL, so it is not much more dense than 6061.

Oh so it must make yoyos much heavier.