MB's Powder Thread! Come & see the power of powder!

Have a project half way done. Sleipnir is for right now white gap except for the gloss black bearing area. The white has been bead blasted smooth upon request. The black is the base for a rainbow glitter splash coming up. Waiting for a material shippment so it’s on hold for now.

1 Like

Wow that sounds like a pretty intricate job haha. Can’t wait to see the final product.

It’s pretty involved but what I’m going to be using may just make pc a staple in the yoyo arena.

Someone’s Viszilla…
He’ll be back very soon :wink:

1 Like

I have some time while my product is drying before I cure it so I figured I would give an update to the Sleipnir project.

First and foremost the owner of this yoyo has been very patient while I have been working on it. Between my regular work schedule and waiting for some new supplies to come in I have had it a little longer than expected but should have it finished by the weekend.

Anyway here is the splash part of the project. Thre green and red have been cured already and blue and yellow are waiting to dry then into the oven for a cure. A new product has made life with powder much more flexable when it comes to splash and graphics.

Here you are…

That’s a Sleipnir? What’s up with the hubs?

Modded? Not mine and I didn’t ask. ???

The Viszilla looks sick! Can’t wait to get it back!

Thanks. Has a very clean look to it and seemed to play quite nicely.

Good to have ya back!

Great to be back :slight_smile: Although since school has started, I won’t be on nearly as much as I used to. Also, the Sleipnir looks like the one that was fixed up by Landon Balk.

How about I go to school for you and you go to work for me!!!

Good luck on the football team :wink:

Ha! Good luck on the drill rig!

I’d get fired on the first day lol.

There’s some things I’m wondering about powder coats. Do they feel anything like plastic or do they have more of a metallic feeling? Could they survive being polished at high grits?

To say they feel like plastic is pretty close. They don’t grind well due to the high gloss which gives them a bit of a sticky feeling even. You can kind of compaire the feel to a piece of furniture that has a varnish on it. They will take a sanding with some high grits, wet or dry. You’ll lose the shine but can buff it back.

The Sleipnir up there has, had, a gloss white gap that got blasted. Now it has the feeling of a very fine soda blast to it. Ain’t doing that to ano!

Hmm, so does that mean if I spill something like Acetone on the finish, it’ll likely damage the finish?

I’m not sure, I’ll be right back…

Using a white rag soaked with acetone on a piece of previously powdered aluminum stock, translucent green color, I scrubbed the powder and had light amounts come off. I scrubbed it hard to. Did leave a bit of a gummy film but looks like only very slight surface damage. Lacquer thinner had even less effect.

So now I know to keep it away from acetone lol. Acetone can literally crack polycarbonate in seconds. Has no effect on delrin/celcon though. Also, instead of masking for a splash effect, did you know you can dye a powdercoat?