Yoyospirit's Review of Rob Maskos aka Mullicabob's Powder Coats

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/382341_343939295712558_1719263047_n.jpg

You know, I’ve always had something close to an obsession with powder coats. This is gonna sound weird, but I loved the way a powder coat felt. My first bike was powder coated a rich midnight blue, and I would sometimes just stared at it. Yea, I was a weird kid, well, I guess is still am in some ways. When I saw Rob start powder coating, I got pretty excited. Didn’t think I would ever see another person that powder coats yoyos. A powder coat has all the looks of paint, but is much tougher. In this review, I will be looking at the looks, the durability, and if the powder coat affects the yoyo’s performance.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/625651_343939299045891_373783047_n.jpg

As you can tell from the picture above, Rob is very proficient with a powder coat. The BVM was powder coated to look like the OG Peak, in a gloss white and blue. I didn’t think it was possible with a powder coat, but he did it. The mountain is perfectly done, as is the fade, with no flaws I can see. He greatly exceeded my expectations. A bonus is the powder glows in the dark! Even though it’s only a bit, still looks sweet! The Trinity and Speed Freak were done in a powder coat he calls “flat ano”. The flat ano powder coat feels very much like a bead blast. These have a bit of a color changing ability. In a lighted area, the Trinity changes from a luxurious red, into almost a golden reddish orange. The Speed Freak is purple, but in the pictures, it looks almost blue.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/549453_343939302379224_127040360_n.jpg

Next is the application of the powder. It’s very hard to get the powder to be consistent, considering how it’s applied. The powder is sprayed on, then put into a oven to be heated at very high degrees, causing the powder to melt and stick to the yoyo. I don’t know what Rob does to get around this, but whatever it is, it works very well. On the BVM, there are pretty much no flaws I can see. From the fade, to the mountain, it was all masked perfectly. On the flat ano, the flaws that are present, I can slightly see. You really have too look for them. Since it’s a translucent powder, some areas, you can kinda see the polished finish underneath the powder. The are around the response is the only area where it’s noticeable, and the flaw around there is unavoidable and won’t affect anything.

There’s no getting around the fact that a powder coat is very durable. It’s designed to be that way. I’ve slammed these into the ground, on tables, and anywhere else you could think of many times, and the yoyos got away with maybe just a scuff, if not, nothing. I’ve hit anodized yoyos on the same surfaces, and there almost always a large ding.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/484179_343939292379225_1192560603_n.jpg

Powder coats are often though to add vibe. I was scared of this when I first sent these yoyos to be coated by Rob, but quickly got over the fear when I got the Trinity back. I sent it to Rob with a little vibe on grinds and the string, it came back dead smooth. I don’t know how this works, but I’m extremely happy it did. The BVM is still dead smooth, and the small vibe on the Speed Freak is now also nonexistent. The weight the powder adds on is less than half a gram, and you won’t feel it at all. Now, let’s talk grinds, of course, the BVM won’t grind very well since it has a high gloss powder coat, but the Speed Freak and Trinity grind as well as the best bead blast out there. Thumb grinds, finger grinds, arm grinds, you name it, this powder can handle it all with ease.

So in conclusion, is a powder coat the way to go? Did Rob do a good job? Well, the answer is obviously YES. He did an amazing job on these, and doesn’t charge a premium in doing so. Gather up your spare change, and send him a yoyo to be powder coated, he does not disappoint.

I know that you’re already proficient in removing Anodize from yoyos; I imagine for $20 they need to be sent to Rob already raw? Does he offer that service as well? Or am I imagining things and it doesn’t need to be raw?

Great review. That BvM is a thing of beauty!! Good photos, too.

They don’t have to be :slight_smile: But I would imagine it makes his job much easier.

Super jealous of that BvM. It looks killer.

Sending your yoyo already raw to Bob makes his life easier, but he can easily blast the ano off.

Those flat ano PC’s look amazing.

Amazing!

I shall second this review. The powdercoat on my superstar was not only stunningly gorgeous, but tough as nails. Well done Bob!

Thank you everyone and thank you spirit. Its been a sweet ride down the powder highway for me so far. Looking back it was just gonna be a little hobby for me, which it still is, but seems to have taken on something a little more meaningful. Pushing the envelope with the product has been a real eye opener as of late. Seems to be a much broader means of applications and techniques available than I had imagined which allows things that I had thought to difficult to do come to fruition.

Having been hit hard by Sandy, still not in my house, some of my plans have been on hold. With plans for a new garage and house, for the most part, I have high hopes to upgrade my capabilities. Lathe, designated spray booth and better lighting are a few things that will get me rolling in the direction i want to go.

With that said I look forward to the future and anxiously await my next discovery. Oh yeah add nickel plating to that list.

Thanks yoyospirit.
MB

I gotta get some PCs done… Once I am allowed to spend money on yoyo stuff…

Man are you still on lock down?

Me too…

Ditto guys…

Just an update to the durability of the coat. The yoyo itself will dent before the powder coat is even scratched! Hit the BVM on tiles a few times with no damage at all, dropped the Trinity down the stairs with no damage, and hit the Speed Freak on a locker, with left a dent in the yoyo, but the finish is stil very much intact.

Is it Rob or Bob ??? I am confused now.

Rob

Actually.

His Name is Robert Maskos
But contrariety to what you may think
He goes by Bob rather than Rob as the shortened name.

hence MullicaBOB

Sorta, I’ve been able to squeak out a few trades, but I am not allowed to purchase yoyo stuff,becuase I am saving for an awesome school trip. My Chinese class is going to China, so it is worth not buying yoyos for a while.

Know any companies I can visit while im there? Lol…

YYF and MYY, ect. They are made in china!

I seriously doubt he wants to go into a factory building with an assembly line and lots of underpaid workers just to see yoyos made.

I think C3 has some players in China.

I assume every yoyo company has a yoyoer in China. I dunno why I just do.