Mulllicabob's "textured metallic slate silver" Powder Coat Review!

Bob sent me a Superstar with a new type of powder coat he’s working on for me to test out. Here’s what happened…

I opened the box to find this cool looking yoyo. I picked it up and it felt like a rock; and looked like one to boot. It has a very rough textured surface - easily the roughest finish I’ve ever felt on a yoyo. Bob said he was looking to create a coating that is great for grinds. Unfortunately, this powder coat falls short of that goal.

I threw it around a bit before doing any grinds, just to get a feel for it. The powder coat adds a smidge of feelable weight. Not enough to ‘overweigh’ the Superstar though. Superstars have always had a bit of heft behind them, and this powder coat just reinforced that.

When I did try a grind, I threw it medium strength. The yoyo just kind of bounced off my hand, so I tried again, but harder; it actually grinds fairly well at high speeds, but the coarse texture of the powder coat creates a bit of friction, which generated some heat. This doesn’t make much sense, because physics tells us that in order for a yoyo to grind well, its surface must have a low coefficient of friction. Yet this metallic powder coated Superstar grinds decently. I’m not sure of the reason behind this. All I can say is that it doesn’t grind like a normal beadblasted yoyo. Despite the roughness, I was able to get around 4-4.5 second grinds, which is a little lower than my average grind length for other yoyos.

As I said, the grinding generated some heat. Which I could feel. When I threw my hardest and performed a grind, the friction on my finger was enough to cause physical pain. Not a lot, but enough to make me cry out “OW!”. Of course after that I was laughing at the fact that a yoyo’s grinding ability could actually hurt.

I’m pretty sure it shredded off some hair on my hand, too…

All in all, Bob put out a fun powder coat. Not something that will blow your mind with its amazing grinding ability, but fun nonetheless. Plus it looks extremely cool. I’ll have to see what it looks like spinning in the sunshine.

If he used a bit smaller media, I feel like this finish would be greatly improved. Maybe so to the point that it becomes the world’s best. We’ll have to wait and see :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting me try it out, Bob.

It looks super cool though!

I thought it looked kinda rough. Cool, but rough. I assume the guts are pretty well masked, as I imagine this finish would do to strings what the SlapChop does to your nuts. :o

First I’d like to say thanks to Link’s for taking the time for an honest review. It’s nice to have feedback on a product that you may not be sure about.

This particular powder is an attempt to find something to fill a blast niche. I had a sneaky suspicion that it was to rough to be practical for a stock application. This can be clear coated in order to maintain the color but then the texture will be lost, hubs can be done so as to minimize contact, etc.

Ultimately I want a powder that mimics bead blast. There are a few more “stock” powders that may fit into this and it’s just a matter of finding the right one. The new “flat ano” colors are very close and are next to go for review.

[quote=“mullicabob,post:4,topic:48142”]
I’m confused. Review says it’s a blast, but your post indicates it’s a powder coat.

[quote=“theTopo,post:5,topic:48142”]

The review is of a powder coat that is textured. The actual powder coat itself has material in it that gives a “texture” to it. The Superstar is blasted but the powder coat on top negates the blast underneath.

Guts have been smoothed to avoid flying objects. If Link’s noticed string issues I’m sure he will comment.

[quote=“mullicabob,post:6,topic:48142”]

Really? This whole time I thought it was a blast too…haha. Must’ve read your messages wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

I probably should mention something about that. I was using the same string I had been using in the prototype Pride I was testing out. (The sharp edges on it caused a tiny bit of a string-eating problem.) Not sure if it were already weak enough, or if the effect was embellished by the roughness of the powder, but I did manage to break a string with it. Luckily it got caught in a curtain so no damage occurred.

Since then I haven’t broken a string.

[quote=“LinksLegionaire,post:8,topic:48142”]

I’d bet you could saw through some hardwood floor with that puppy. Or good for friends who may get too close at times, little textured powder coat to the forehead and you’ll have all the personal space you need.

[quote=“mullicabob,post:6,topic:48142”]

Is there any chance you’d be able to ever so lightly bead blast the powder coat to make it less rough?

[quote=“ArchersAxe,post:10,topic:48142”]

It’s a possibility. I was thinking some type of a light scuff of some sort just to knock it down ever so slight. Problem is I noticed after smoothing out the response area that the color and “metallic” effect changed, seemed to dull a bit.

Some of the powder suppliers sell a texture additive so you can add it to anything you’d like. Problem is these guys are usually thinking automotive and not a nice fine texture additive for a yoyo. I can actually achieve varing types of texture just by adding flake to the powders, usually the clear. The glow in the dark additive is another product that if not clear coated will have some roughness to it as well although not as pronounced as the powder that Link"s reviewed.

I have one other powder from a manufacturer that I am going to aquire. It’s called “blasted aluminum” and from the sample piece I have from them it looks about as close as you can get to a raw blast.

[quote=“mullicabob,post:11,topic:48142”]

I’d be more interested in the feel. I love my ILYY feel, color is just part of the beauty. I just want dem feels. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for trying new stuff!

[quote=“ArchersAxe,post:12,topic:48142”]

If your looking for something like the ILYY feel, which I am a big fan of as well, then the new flat ano colors I have are for you. When Link’s sends back the Superstar it’s getting done in a two tone flat ano then back for another review.

I recently did an Addiction in a flat ano purple and I am in love.

Just saw the Addiction. Color me excited.