MB's Powder Thread! Come & see the power of powder!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D If that ends up anything like the magenta one above me, then i will be sosososo happy. This is gonna be awesome.

The first set of pics are in it’s final stage. Happens to be under a standard light bulb when the pic was shot. The more “purple” pic is prior to the clear with prism going on and was shot under the flourescent light over my tool chest/pig sty.

The true beauty of it won’t be unleashed till she hits the sun and the whole thing should really just jump out at ya.

are you using another superstar’s axle and bearing?

I have unlimited access to axles and a bounty of bearings. :wink:

1 Like

nice. any spinning pics?

Coming very, very soon.

Some pics of the Superstar in motion…
Not as sunny as I had hoped, looks like rain, but just enough…

2 Likes

looks absolutely stunning. Can’t wait to get it back! ;D ;D

1 Like

Free bump from you friend in ocean city

What’s up bud? Missed the last two weeks down there but will be back this week for sure. Coming down?

Mitch needs a horizontal tutorial from you… ;D

Mirror, high gloss, white Eetsit…
For a YYE member…

Lol it almost looks like delrin.

This puppie is about as white as you can get! Super clean look to it.

Looks absolutely stunning!!! How much do you charge for a powdercoat like that?

This guy was $20 shipped

Sweet!!! I will be sure to send you a yoyo to powdercoat! Out of any other finish, powder coats are my favorite!

The powders are pretty slick. Colors and combos are just about limitless as is the type of application. Right now the splashes and spots and so on are a little tricky to do but progressing along nicely. Trying to find “masking” material that is suitable for 400 degrees has been the trick. They make high temp tapes but doing graphics and things like that can be tricky. Trial and error has yielded some acceptable results as far as I’m concerned.

The durability of the powder is where it really shines. It’s seriously tough and scratches can be basically buffed out. Trying to get it off by sanding or blasting is tough but the chemical stripper they make to remove it is amazing. Takes it off in minutes with zero effect to the metal! The only drawback is vibe. It is extremely difficult to get 100% vibe free results. Perfect even results on two sides of a spinning work piece is tough. For the average yoyo and average pc job results are exceptional. By the time someone’s yoyo gets around to me for a pc it has usually seen a bit of combat and has some wounds that give it the shakes already. For me I am all about smooth yoyo’s but after being able to do the pc on the one’s I have had come through the shop I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for a little bling to fling. :wink:

Hey Spirit, when your ready, we can talk about something slick to do. From one polish guy to another ;D

1 Like

Definitely! That’s what I like about powder coats, it’s the fact that it’s even tougher than most hardcoat anodizes. Any idea if there will be a vibe on even a side effect yoyo?

Shouldn’t really matter in terms of what’s hanging off the side. One drop type side effects are nice cause I can mask and coat them seperately, anything else just has to get masked on the yoyo like the posts for stacks.

Vibe is a crap shoot really I have it under control for the most part but multiple coat jobs need special attention. One thing I have learned is larger throws seem to take the pc better. They handle vibe better to the point I haven’t had much of any on the larger throws and for some reason the application goes much smoother. Small yoyos have a tendency to fight the powder in the hub area, they seem to produce the “Faraday” effect more. In short it’s a field that is produced when coating smaller objects, especially concave, that makes it difficult to get the pc to adhere.

1 Like

I haven’t stopped by this thread until now, but I just caught up on everything. Bravo!

1 Like