Making Begleri

I’ve been interested in begleri for awhile but…eh. Just one more thing to take an interest in, drop a lot of money on, fail at, then move on. A week ago I got a monkey fist begleri because the price was pretty decent. I kind of am getting into it as clumsy as I am. I looked at other begleri and the prices are too high to justify and do not match my interest level. Today I made my own begleri in two different lengths out of stuff I had around the house.

10 Likes

That looks fantastic. Im sure they work just as well and i like the DIY!

2 Likes

I see different people giving different ideal lengths - the width of your palm, the width of all your fingers opened wide - tip of your pinky to tip of your index finger…

2 Likes

Although I’ve never used this prop, I do know my way around quite a few. Many manipulation arts (if not all) rely on the body to direct the flow. There’s always the “suggested” length, but after a while it seems to me that different lengths/weights of any given object promote different styles of play. And no matter how long I’ve used a tool, it always(in my experience) seems that I drift back to whatever the proportions of my first were.
I’ve been resisting the urge to look at Begleri but I can feel them pulling me…

Your props look great BTW. Nice use of repurposed materials( or thinking outside the box if you prefer😉)

1 Like

One of my favorite sets is one I made with those brass knurled thumb screws, some rubber o-rings, and a couple of old yoyo bearings. Not to mention, it looks really classy!

Thank you. I’ve been playing around with them and find myself doing some smooth twirls and wraps and unwraps around different fingers. Plus, I was just thinking - paying $30 - $50 for begleri does not mean I will like them more than something I made myself. I could find myself liking them LESS than what I made. Once we reopen and I can hit up craft stores and look for different kinds of weights to use. For these I dug into my container of narrow C bearings I will never use.

2 Likes

I agree.
When you build it yourself you know it intimately. I’ve built many fire props and benefited from understanding the construction and implementing fail safes as a result. Just an example.

Plus if you really want to complete your Jedi training, you must construct your own lightsaber.

Just sayin’:sunglasses:

4 Likes

A monkey fist knot around a .50cal stainless ball or bearing works well (also can use them for slingshot ammo). Gut the paracord and you can weld (melt) two together and it holds much better than I thought. Very hard to pull apart.

7 Likes

Those are very nice! I have not watched any tutorials on making that sort of stuff yet. I’ve seen someone do it in person and they tried to teach me and I got extremely confused.

4 Likes

I youtubed it. The first couple were not ideal lol. But I also built a little jig (just 4 chopsticks halves in a board) to wrap a golf ball with a monkey knot for a friend. Did a square knot tether to it. I sure wouldn’t want to be slapped by it!

4 Likes

is a really good video for making begleri

2 Likes

Thank you. I really like the longer one I made. The ends have a good weight and enough stuff to grip. I don’t have a drill and me using a drill…I can see blood. Responsive bearings make great weights.

3 Likes

I just got my first begleri this weekend and its fun but pretty tricky! I tried a few lengths out too but found that fingers stretched wide was most comfortable.

3 Likes

The nice thing about begleri is that one set will keep you going for a long long time especially when you start out! It is something I play with on a regular basis and which I enjoy despite never progressing past the basics of wraps and slips and a few different finger rolls.

3 Likes