Making a fixed axle sleep longer...

My small collection consists of two Duncan Imperials, a Duncan Butterfly, a Duncan Pro-Yo, and a cheapo that I use for entertaining the cat. None will spin for more than five seconds, even with a polyester string. Do I just need t throw harder, or can I somehow make 'em sleep longer? (I tried cornstarch on one of the Imperials, and it did nothing.)

You could put lube on the Axel. And throw harder.

The only lube I have on hand is 3-In-1 Oil, and I’m not sure about using that on a yo-yo.I might have to order up some yo-yo-specific lube soon.

3-In-1 Oil would be perfect. Just put a dab on the Axel.

you wont gett very far with those though

you should think about gettin a new yo-yo

if buying online
is a problem

big5 might have throw monkey’s
and ive seen walmarts with duncan mosquito’s

those can sleep for decent amounts of time

I’ll try that on the old Imperial. Thanks for the help.

I’ve seen the Mosquitos at Wal-Mart, and that’ll be my next yo-yo. Though I’m not ready to move up to freehand play yet, I’ll have to check Big 5 (if there’s one here) for instant gratification. Thanks for the tip!

putting 3-n-1 oil on your fixed axle is not a good idea. It’s not good for your string. Find some wax and put it on the loop of string that goes around the axle. That will work and it’s ok for the string.

• if you’re not getting more than 5 seconds out of a proyo, the primary problem is your throw.
• 3-in-1 is great for bearings, but not for wood axle. there’s no ‘yo-yo specific lube’ that will improve a fixed axle’s performance. the best thing for proyo axles is vaseline intensive care lip therapy. apply a bit to the axle and let it sit overnight. the best thing for metal imperial axles is extremely light graphite dry-lubricant. the difference in quality between a proyo and an imperial however, is enormous. the imperial is a fun challenge, but imo a better cat-toy than a yo-yo; just not well made.
• poly will frequently sleep WORST on fixed axle. the friction melts poly quick, which will result in a frayed section of string that will give you inconsistent results, especially with wood. switch to cotton; type 6 or 8 will work great on a proyo.
• it’s only true that you ‘won’t get very far’ with a fixed axle if a.) you judge your progress by the same standard as most of the kids on this forum (and along the same timeline), and b.) you don’t like to work really hard.

again, there’s no substitute for practice. work on developing a hard, consistent throw.

1 Like

My kitten agrees that Imperials are excellent cat toys…

There might be some of the Vaselne Intensive Care Lip Therapy in the house; if so, I’ll put some on the Pro-Yo (if, by “type 6” you mean a 50/50 cotton/poly string, that’s what’s on it right now). I was also thinking that the wood might be a little rough; would lightly filing it help?

A 50/50 cotton/poly (this one a type 8, if I’m correct) has improved the Butterfly’s performance quite a bit. Nothing seems to help the older Imperial, which might just be shot from years of storage. The Imperials and Butterflies are all steel-axles–I’ll be careful about the potential melting strings.

Thanks for the info!

any freehand yoyo can be used as a 1a yoyo and vise versa.

you can check out the strong throw video it will help a lot!

[quote=“Friar_Fly,post:9,topic:10543”]
don’t file it. the vaseline effectively does better than that, filling in the microscopic crevices in the wood and making things smoother. personally, i don’t use it. i play my axles raw.

slick 8 is stronger than slick 6, but i advise people against using ANY poly for fixed axle. 100% cotton. but whatever works for you.

Maybe I’ll just buy a Throw Monkey or a FreeHand…I can always attach the counterweight later.

i have a throw monkey mosquito fh2 proyos for sale or trade
im not sure my paypal works though
but let me now if you want anything

This is not a BST thread. You could either pm him or make a BST thread and pm him that info.

MORTAL KOMBAT GUY VOICE
whooooopsie!

all right now i know

Just listen to this man.I’ve been playing alot with Russell Supers from around the time I was born.

I got a new one just the other day and I’ve been messing with stalls. Ed’s video’s are a major influence.

What you need to do is work your triceps out. I recommend skull crushers exersize, 3 sets of 10, twice a week. It will make your tricepts bigger, resulting in more sleep time for your yoyo.