Magic drop problem

Okay… I can do lacerations, suicides, things like spirit bomb but I just do not understand magic drops at all… I’ve watched video after video and I’m no further forward as to how to do it than I was a week ago. I know what it needs to do but not how to make it happen. I let the yoyo go around my throw index and it continues around the ‘gun’ you make with the string but it stays on the string it is originally on. I need to to pop off that loop. Any suggestions?

Do not let the yo-yo go around the “gun.” Only let it go around your pointer and land IN BETWEEN your pointer and thumb. It should drop.

Do not let the yo-yo go around the “gun.” Only let it go around your pointer and land IN BETWEEN your pointer and thumb. It should drop.
[/quote]
I’m trying but it insists on continuing past my thumb… It’s so frustrating

There cannot be any tilt in the yoyo as it approaches the “gun”

(Jeremy Mryoyothrower McKay) #5

Keep your hand stiff. You need enough tension that the act of going around the finger pulls the extra piece of string off. It’s a little like boing i boing, just keep at it.

Do it slower. Keep your hand still. Also, try putting your hand at an angle so that your thumb is pointing a little more upward.

The natural tendency is for your (gun-shaped) hand to tilt inwards (towards your non-throwhand) as the yoyo goes over it. The challenging part is keeping the hand still.

When I was learning I found just focusing on keeping the hand still during the trick, rather than focusing on the yo-yo, worked.

You can also try starting with your “gun” tilted slightly outward so that if your hand does tilt a little the rejection still occurs.

Are you throwing a proper Breakaway? If not, then the yoyo will be spinning in the wrong direction to reject and pop the string off.

use the tip of your index finger and the string should drop off

(⛷ Noisy Lurker) #10

Check out this link. Jrod’s point about the pop is a good point that many never mention.
http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,36191.msg355418.html#msg355418

I made this tutorial quite a while back. I hope it helps.