Machined Polycarbonate

From what I can see, machined polycarbonate yoyos have become more popular in recent years. Why is this? Is there a specific machinist that opened up that is really good at making them? Is the market pushing for higher end plastics? Or have I just not been noticing them all this time?

3 Likes

It’s an alternative to injection moulded polycarbonate yoyos. The idea is that if it is machined, it will make a smoother yoyo.

5 Likes

If my Speedaholic XXs are typical examples, machined polycarbonate is not only super smooth but super durable as well!

Also using the XX as my only experience with the material, they play very floaty but spin time suffers. The bimaterial ones with steel rims might mitigate that though!

Ivan

2 Likes

Could it be that injection molded yoyos have to be manufactured in the 1000s to justify the mold?

A good machinist can make a few.

1 Like

Yes, that is primarily the issue that has been talked about in the past. Molds are expensive.

3 Likes

I think injection molded yoyos aren’t as smooth because of imperfections that either develop in the mold or are there from the start. A yoyo that was machined on a lathe is going to be nearly perfectly round.

Also I wonder if the injection-molding process is more prone to yield inconsistent density in the plastic, like tiny bubbles? Whereas extruded polycarbonate is more consistent in it’s density? Just guessing though.

Ivan

2 Likes

I bought the iceberg by iYoYo it’s a machined polycarbonate with stainless rims I now own two of them. I sold my bi-metal Shutter and bi-metal Edge. Just throw the icebergs now, great yoyo!

3 Likes

Iceberg is a good example. I love mine. Never even knew it was machined.