Why did yyf replace the delrin wedge with pco?

I recently got the delrin version from their b grade sale and it’s one of the best yoyos i’ve had. Makes the pco one i have feel like hot trash. why would they have switched if the original was soo much better?

7 Likes

YYF had some problems with the delrin version. The bearing aluminum hub kept coming off the delrin body and people went crazy about it. IMO it was not a hige deal since you only need a couple of tries to tune it to be smooth, but people really didn’t like it. I think that’s why they decided to change material.

Right? I wish i had like 4 of them.

3 Likes

From what I understand the Delrin Wedge was actually the ‘test’ for the planned polycarbonate Wedge. At less than half the retail price of the delrin Wedge the polycarbonate version is really an amazing yoyo for what it costs, etc.

As mentioned the hubs in the delrin Wedge could sometimes ‘spin’ over time and so they went with a different construction when they built the mold for the polycarbonate Wedge learning from that design, etc. So in a way it was actually an evolution towards the polycarbonate one.

With that said I totally agree that the delrin Wedge is one of my all time favorite yoyos to play with - I have a black one I still constantly pick and throw - its so much fun and so powerful!

8 Likes

Same here - wish I had bought like 5 of them instead of just 1

2 Likes

ok, that makes sense. The difference between the two to me is night and day. I know a lot of people like the pco wedge because of the value, but i’d much rather spend $35 on the delrin one (and i only had spend $10 on the sale :grin:). my pco wedge vibes like it has parkinsons no matter how i tune it.

2 Likes

I agree. Delrin wedge is amazing

2 Likes

Delrin is sooo superior to polycarbonate it isn’t even funny (at least when it comes to yo-yos). This is a fact!

4 Likes

I really want Duncan to release a delrin freehand. And big fun for that matter too.

1 Like

No need, @Glenacius_K can make you one! For reals!

2 Likes

Yeah I saw that! I kinda wanna get him to make me something from wood tho one day. With some cabal guts. I’d ask him to make it now but I’m saving my yoyo budget for world’s :joy::grimacing:. #woodfreehand?

1 Like

I refuse to make wooden bearing yoyos anymore. They aren’t worth the trouble.

4 Likes

Awh man! Sorry to hear that. What was causing so much trouble?

1 Like

Wood is too inconsistent to make the designs I wanted. Any design over 41 or 42mm width has a small chance of working out without wobble.

It isn’t fun spending hours making yoyos that don’t turn out acceptable to most players standards these days.

I still use wood for fixed axle yoyos of course. It’s the best material for fixed axles.

5 Likes

Acetal (POM), however, is awesomesauce. I love making bearing yoyos out of that.

3 Likes

I feel you, that’s pretty tough. Plenty of good designs below 40mm width. I love delrin yoyos too though, I caught the bug last april. I’ll definitely hit you up in the future.

1 Like

YoYoFactory is well known for low priced & high performance plastics. They could sell the POM one for 30-40 ish bucks, but the cheaper PCM one has the same appeal that the replay pro has, great bang for your buck.

Heads up. If you liked the wedge, they’re selling a grade dead stock severes on their site for 15 bucks.

1 Like

This is partly due to the fact that POM yoyos are usually machined and polycarbonate are usually injection moulded. Machining is far superior.

6 Likes

They did whaaaaa??! I want to throw delrin wedge

yyf has some injection molded POM throws (the Whip is one i think) which kinda defeats the purpose in my eyes. I’ve seen a few machined PCO throws before, i wonder how those feel.

1 Like