Looping problem- loops lose "energy"

Hi! I would like to ask for help with my looping technique from fellow members! It’s a bit difficult to describe but my problem is this… after playing with looping for a bit (a couple of weeks) I have made progress- I can loop consistently for 10- 12 loops but something odd keeps happening- the loops lose “energy” and it rapidly becomes hard to throw the yo yo back into a loop and return it without a lot of arm motion. I don’t mean to say that it happens suddenly- the yo yo seems to lose momentum after 8- 10 loops, and after 10- 12 loops it’s hard to keep it going without using a lot of arm motion to make the yo yo return for another loop. I have searched the forum but cannot find any similar description of this problem. Also- I’ve tried to analyze my technique after reading threads, looking at videos… I imagine there are a number of variables that could be causing this problem. I’ve played with response, string length, etc. I watch the yo yo and it seems to keep a stable control angle, so it’s not necessarily due to the yo yo wobbling. I try to keep the wrist flicks consistent and strong- it may be fatigue, but when I try again right away my first few loops seem good but after a number the yo yo again seems to hang longer, be tougher to return and throw into a loop until it just peters out. I’ve even tried it again without re-forming the tension on the string- just from one set of loops into another- and again it just seems to lose momentum with time (although tightening the string does help by allowing more loops before the yo yo seems “fatigued.”) I’m well aware from all the threads that I will need a lot of practice- is this the main issue? Hey, I’m open to all suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help!

Fixed it for you:

"Hi! I would like to ask for help with my looping technique from fellow members!

It’s a bit difficult to describe but my problem is this: after playing with looping for a bit (a couple of weeks) I have made progress- I can loop consistently for 10- 12 loops but something odd keeps happening- the loops lose “energy” and it rapidly becomes hard to throw the yo yo back into a loop and return it without a lot of arm motion. I don’t mean to say that it happens suddenly. The yo yo seems to lose momentum after 8- 10 loops, and after 10- 12 loops it’s hard to keep it going without using a lot of arm motion to make the yo yo return for another loop.

I have searched the forum but cannot find any similar description of this problem. Also- I’ve tried to analyze my technique after reading threads, looking at videos… I imagine there are a number of variables that could be causing this problem. I’ve played with response, string length, etc.

I watch the yo yo and it seems to keep a stable control angle, so it’s not necessarily due to the yo yo wobbling. I try to keep the wrist flicks consistent and strong- it may be fatigue, but when I try again right away my first few loops seem good but after a number the yo yo again seems to hang longer, be tougher to return and throw into a loop until it just peters out. I’ve even tried it again without re-forming the tension on the string- just from one set of loops into another- and again it just seems to lose momentum with time (although tightening the string does help by allowing more loops before the yo yo seems “fatigued.”)

I’m well aware from all the threads that I will need a lot of practice- is this the main issue? Hey, I’m open to all suggestions!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ah… thank you! I can see that my original post just exhausted the eye! Hey, I’m new to posting, and I wrote it late at night… now, about my loops… no, seriously, thanks!

Alas, that I have no advice for. My loops get messy after three. :wink:

I’m not sure, but could it do with tension loosening or tightening?

Maybe you should do inside and outside loops combined, back and forth, and maybe that will help?

I’m not sure what the issue is either, but I’ve always found inside-outside to be a bit easier than simply looping one way.

you can do 12. you don’t need my help. I can do one.

Try lubing the bearing and see if that helps at all. If you don’t have any lube, you can go to the store and buy ‘3 in one’. I bought 3 in one at a Fry’s grocery store, so you should be able to find it pretty easily.

Hi all! These are great suggestions.

I have lubed the bearings- I am practicing with Loop808’s (and use both cotton and slick 6 strings), and I’ve tried both thick/ thin lube. Lubing does help!

I like the idea of alternating inside/ outside loops- just gotta work on the outside loops!

As I continue to play, I think it comes down to changing tension and how that affects response, and my technique both for compensating for the change as well as just keeping the yo yo stable.

I wrote my original (and poorly constructed) response late at night and after some building frustration- looping is hard, no doubt! I’ve looked at a lot of old threads- most of the advice comes down to practice lots… if I ever the get the right “formula” for the mechanics I’ll post it!

Thanks to all who have posted!