Looping and string tension

I should know the answer to this, but I can’t figure it out from what I have going on.
Left -hand inside loops should loosen the string?
Right hand inside loops should tighten the string?
The opposite would be true of left-handed string?

2 Likes

You have it backwards with standard string.
Right hand inside loops loosen, outside loops tighten. Left handed inside loops tighten and outside loosen.

3 Likes

So I really should get some left-hand string to help with not building up string tension so fast while learning left-hand looping.

1 Like

Just learn left handed Hop the Fences and outside loops that loosen the string. Alternate in sets between inside loops to neutralize tension.

Also as a side note when playing left handed with standard strings every throw is loosening tension. So throw a few left handed Around the Worlds, Forward passes and Break aways in between your inside left handed loops if you are only doing a few at a time to loosen tension back up.

3 Likes

Sidewinders are probably the best way to deal with the string tension while looping.
If you’re using right handed strings, inward sidewinders will neutralize the tension caused by inside loops and outward sidewinders work the same way for outside loops (regardless of what hand you’re looping with).

Alternatively you could throw an outside loop for every inside loop and not have to worry about tension at all!

Also it’s much easier just to use right handed strings for both hands, that way you can swap hands if you’re practicing one at a time without having to change strings or swap out the yoyo.

2 Likes

Yep. Got into a loop trans mode a couple of times and totally unwound the string to where the yoyo came off the string. :disappointed:

2 Likes

i used to do that intentionally infront of a wall and watch my Duncan fly off my string. That was when i was younger and my yoyos all cost under $10.

Also Fantastic 2aTuesday question and thread to start my day. Thank you.

2 Likes