Best way to fix the string tension for a left handed thrower?

Hey guys, sorry Im not on as much as I used to be or I would like to, life has been crazy, gotta random question, maybe I’ve asked this before idk, being a lefty using right twist string, my string tension is jacked all the time, I feel like I’m going through string every other day, what’s the best way to fix the string tension for a left handed thrower???

2 Likes

Then fix the string tension when it goes whack.

It’s not like string tension just stays perfect if you’re a righty. Also there’s 3a players too.

When it starts getting loose, just adjust the tension with sidewinders or something like that to fix it

If anything I think I would actually prefer string to get looser on me rather than tighter as I play

10 Likes

What @andy569 said works for sure, but there is also this option:

6 Likes

Yes I’ve definitely done that and I also use the split bottom mountas well but that sometimes doesn’t work because I think it’s spun the other direction I don’t know it really starts to get confusingand I hate having to you know take the string off of my finger and grab the yoyo and flip it upside down and you know pull on the string and let it on tangles…sucks… I’m just curious if there is any shortcuts or anything, I know the string tension gets messed up the matter if you’re left-handed or right-handed but I find it to be when you’re a left-handed with using right-handed string it just tangles up worse and that’s just my opinion I don’t know if it’s true or not

1 Like

That’s not true. If you’re having issues with tension you’re going to have issues no matter what string you use, it’ll just be the opposite direction.

As a lefty you should be using sidewinders or whatever tension correcting trick by moving your hand to the right of the yoyo. That’ll tighten the tension when your string naturally gets looser through play due to being a lefty

4 Likes

Throw a UFO, throwing to one side tightens, the other loosens.

https://yoyoexpert.com/learn/015-basic-flying-saucer-ufo-classic.php

https://yoyoexpert.com/learn/015-basic-flying-saucer-ufo.php

6 Likes

This is no help what so ever, but i too suffer this problem with string tension. I get confused whether to loosen or tighten at the right moment. leave it too long and you end up having to take it off your finger to sort. I’m putting it down to practice and experience. 1a My string always goes tighter, practicing looping then it goes looser.
anyone know of a short cut to practice please let me know.

As a lefty, I just do sidewinder binds, they can correct lots of string tension in a short amount of time.

1 Like

When you hold the string to check the tension, if it twists counterclockwise (to the right) it is tight, so you will loosen by moving the string to left of the yoyo when you correct your tension.
If it twists clockwise (to the left) it is loose, so you will tighten it by moving the string to the right of the yoyo when you correct tension.

1 Like

:+1::+1: many thanks, got it. I think :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve used these techniques for as long as I can remember. Maybe you’ll pick up something useful from this tutorial. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Depending on how often you use your yoyo, that’s just about the normal lifespan of a polyester string. Don’t @ me, you know it’s true

1 Like

Honestly I think it’s experience and practice that you need. I’ve just gotten into the habit of correcting string tension often, so it’s not an issue for me. But I often notice newer players I teach have issues with string tension regardless of the hand orientation.

4 Likes

Jon’s right. It’s just a constant in throwing that you have to keep an eye on your tension and adjust as needed. Also, if you haven’t noticed this on your own, some tricks tighten/loosen tension more than others. Try paying attention to that as you throw. In a perfect world, every combo would tighten and loosen the string evenly and your tension would always end up neutral at the end of your combo. lol. But seriously, if you’re thinking about it that much, you’re probably not having fun. :rofl:

Just throw your tricks, and when you notice tension is causing issues (especially with slacks and whips), adjust accordingly. Pick your favorite method and stick with it.

On a side note - don’t try to learn new slacks and whips with bad tension. Tension is like 50% of the challenge with those tricks in my experience. You can try for 20 minutes to no avail, adjust your tension for 5 seconds, then land the trick first try.

3 Likes

I think Kitty advertising 30 minutes?

Then theres Markmont. Formulas who says 1 year.

• wild.