Loop 720 Yoyo Won't Sleep

I’m very new to this hobby, so I apologize if this question is dumb/obvious. I honestly didn’t really comprehend the concept of “sleeping” until today, and I only now realized that it’s something my yoyo hasn’t been doing, like, at all. I’ve already lubed the bearings with thick lube and even cleaned them, I doubt it has anything to do with my string being worn either since I’ve switched it out a few times. I can throw the yoyo and for the most part it responds fine (almost too well it seems…), but I can’t get it to sleep no matter how many tutorials I watch, and it’s starting to give me a serious headache. Is this yoyo just not meant to sleep or something? The string I use is 50% cotton 50% polyester, if that helps

3 Likes

Loop 720s are made for looping, so they are very responsive. Maybe try throwing it out a little farther and letting it swing back to your side.

1 Like

Do you know if the string is double wrapped or single wrapped? If it’s double wrapped, just take a wrap out and that would fix it. If it’s single wrapped and still not sleeping, maybe make sure that both spacers are still in there?

1 Like

Kkkk

the string is single wrapped, I just checked and both bearings are also still in the yoyo

Too much lube may be the problem. Lots of lube will kill sleep time.

3 Likes

I’m not really sure if the string I bought is considered to be thick or not, but I guess I’ll try to look into other types of strings if the issue persists (though I would rather it be more of a last resort)

I don’t believe I put too much lube in, but I’ll try to look into it just in case

So a couple of things.

First is that the loop 720 is a looper yoyo, it can sleep, but it’ll take a bit of practice since it naturally has a very tight gap and wants to grab onto the string so you can throw it back out again hence the loop part of the name.

second, thick lube is meant to make things more responsive so applying more will just make it want to snap back to your hand.

third, I don’t think your string may be the problem, most regular style string isn’t super thick like actual thick string meant for looping unless it was packaged with your yoyo when you bought it.

so here are my suggestions. clean your bearing, only loop the string on the yoyo once, you can twist mid way and do it again if you want it responsive in the future, and if all else fails, get a butterfly yoyo that will be better for sleeper style tricks if that’s what you’re aiming for.

I don’t know if you’re trying to get it to sleep for 1A or trying to do a 2A trick that involves sleeping.

3 Likes

I’m not too familiar with all the different types of tricks yet to be honest; I’ve been trying to learn simple string tension techniques (so I can better practice looping and other basic responsive tricks), but some of them involve sleeping which has been making the whole process more difficult than it probably should be. I’ll look into getting a butterfly yoyo if it’s more beginner friendly, because I’m really not sure how I’m going to manage my string tension if I can’t get the yoyo to sleep at all

1 Like

Kkkkk

1 Like

Ah ok, then you don’t need to get a butterfly yoyo. string tension tricks are usually needed to make sure your throws don’t end up getting tangled up in it’s own string because you kept tightening up or loosening up the string by it twisting and turning in a single direction for too long.

You can absolutely learn those tricks and techniques on a looper because they’re nessesary for combos later on.

You can do it! just keep practicing your sleepers, there are plenty of videos out there and I hope you’re able to get it down soon because I know the frustrations can be a pain in the butt.

1 Like

What color are the spacers? The metal things on either side of the bearing. Also no dumb questions like, no one knows this stuff until they ask. I also think it’s probably too much lube. Try to clean the bearings and run them dry for a second and see if they sleep like that and also if they will still return.

2 Likes

Loop 720, will want a good bearing cleaning to sleep best. It will take a good hard throw to make it sleep though and will be a little tricky if new to get this right.

You can make a 720 sleep on any string, but it wont loop well on any string, no need to use lube on them at all as a beginner. It will be useful down the road to use thin lube but not needed at the start.

I’d honestly suggest a different yoyo for learning if that’s your goal as it will make things hard. If your budget is low and can’t afford something like even a whip or buttfly xt from hobby lobby / target or not in US let me know I can get you a yoyo.

This matters too. The Loop 720’s come setup with the tightest available gap using the red spacers. If you want it to sleep, a set of blue spacers will help tremendously with this. It will widen the gap and reduce the responsiveness. The 720 is incredibly responsive out of the box.

1 Like

My 720s came with red blue combo so it’s not universal. I think the Japanese version is red blue but tbh I don’t know that much about the various 720 releases

1 Like

True. My experience over the last year with standard new ones has been red, but there have been other years and versions, so it’s always worth looking into, since it’s not that difficult. Just be careful not to over tighten when reassembling

1 Like

720 will sleep with all combos of spacers though, it is for sure better for string tricks without the red, but even double red it sleeps.

1 Like