Loop 720 or loop 2020

Should I stick with the loop 720 half blue half red spacers or go to loop 2020 I know the loop 2020 is better for competition but the loop 2020 with like all the customizing stuff like spacer starburst exetra can go up to $100 vs $46 dollars with the iyoyo 2 bearing 2 set of spacers
My skill level for 2a is not realy beginner but not quite advance but want to go to advance play
Pls help me decide and from what someone told me is loop 2020 is better but when I see shu video I hardly see the 2020 and I’m just confused on what to get I’m getting some off string solo ham set up with it and trying not to pass 100 dollars

I’m pretty sure that top-tier 2A players have competed with Loop 720s and the careful choice of spacers for many years. I can’t imagine them holding you back for a very long time.

1 Like

Oh ok thank you for the reply and feedback

2 Likes

I think in this case you’re fine with just sticking with the loop 720s, especially if you don’t want to deal with set up and tuning the yoyo. The loop 2020 is kind of a pricy upgrade that doesn’t provide a huge boost to performance. If you’re happy with your loop 720s set up this way, I don’t think the loop 2020 will provide a better learning and playing experience.

The loop 2020 seems to be for people who aren’t very satisfied with their current set up and really want to dial in the response to their exact preference.

2 Likes

The choice between the Loop720 and the Loop2020…Depends on the weather.

You need both in your bag because sometimes the humidity or the temperature throws off everything that you are used to. So you have to change up equipment to accommodate.

I’m actually being serious.

8 Likes

:thinking: interesting, could you explain why?

Weather changes can cause equipment to expand and contract in weird ways, especially in softer materials like plastic. That when combined with a very finely tuned setup can throw things off easily.

Sometimes we yoyo in our bedroom in Michigan. Sometimes we yoyo inside the Rosen Plaza Ball Room in Orlando Florida where the AC is cold and the air is dry. Sometimes we are asked to do a demo in the sun on Bondi Beach in Australia in the direct sun and 100% humidity. The equipment and the player are affected.

2A is extremely physical. Repetitive action with formed muscle memory. We train and learn and master technique in a single environment. Then we get sponsored and hit the road to exotic new locations. We do our first performance of the day at 9am and we aren’t limbered up. We aren’t throwing precisely and not throwing quite hard enough still groggy. The previous day the Loop720 was working perfect now it’s looping down and uncontrollable. You, the well trained athlete, feel like a beginner suddenly.

In moments like this you reach into your bag and pull out your loop2020. Effortlessly you are are back on top, loops behaving. Slight pause at the end of the string retrains your muscle memory. Your timing and your attitude re-adjust. The day is saved.

2A is complicated. You will know you are good at it when what described above clicks in your head.

If you are a beginner: Loop720. Swish your bearing in rubbing alcohol. Blow out the alcohol with a quick exhale between your lips. Install in your loop720 and add one small drop of thin lube to the side of the bearing. Re-assemble. Put on a new string. Let the loop720 touch the floor and fold the string over just below your beltline and tie a new slip-knot.

If you are an expert: Loop2020. #2 axle. #2 white spacers. #2 Starburst. Swish the bearing in rubbing alcohol. Blow out the alcohol with a quick exhale between your lips. Install in your loop2020 and add one small drop of thin lube to the side of the bearing. Then add one small drop of thick lube to the side of the bearing. Re-assemble. Put on a new WHITE poly type6 string. Let the loop2020 touch the floor and fold the string over just below your beltline and tie a new slip-knot. Play 20 loops. Maybe add one more drop of thick lube to tighten up the response if you feel it is too hesitant.

A new string when nothing is working right seems to correct a lot of problems.

12 Likes

Ok thanks for feedback

2 Likes

Got it thanks