Looking for recommendations for starting with 4a

Hello all!

I am relatively new to the forums, and been quickly growing a collection.

I started juggling years upon years ago, and as I’ve looked more and more into it, the realm of 4a yo-yos.

I love the snapping of the string, and the coordination needed to manage the throw.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a throw in this category? Just interested overall in hearing other recommendations.

Additionally, If anyone has one they are looking to part with that they think would be a good fit, I could be interested there too. (Though I’m sorry if this isn’t the right place to indicate this interest)

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

The spire is pretty good for the price.

1 Like

Just a note that I don’t play 4a other than catching and doing a few whips, but I’ll just give what I have read on the forms and whatnot. Depends on what your willing to spend. The yoyo factory flight is going to be the most recommended due to its price, plenty of colors, and pretty durable, but personally when I tried to learn 4a I felt the gap was waaaaaaaay too tight…….but many have started with that with success. Yoyo factory also has the new sky dancer which has had some good comments. C3yoyodesign has some great stuff for around 50 bucks that guys like @JeiCheetah have used and enjoy, (correct me if I’m wrong josh, but last I believe you were using their stuff for 4a) and Japan technology just released @BryanF new signature the Trueno which is said to be designed to be a great entry for starters. But hopefully more experienced will pipe in.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll look into that one!

Thanks a ton for your input, I appreciate the insight a ton, and that you linked others, cost isn’t the biggest issue, always just seems to be the shipping to Canada haha

Just like for 1A there’s a lot of good options and it kind of just depends on your budget and personal preferences. Realistically you can pick whichever you think looks the coolest and it’ll be the best option for you.

My personal recommendations for yoyos to decide between is a Yoyofactory Flight if you’re unsure that you’ll stick with 4A and just want to try it.

A C3yoyodesign Contrail if you’re a bit more serious but still on a budget, nicer 4A yoyos like this are made of POM which is a much more durable material than polycarbonate and will withstand significantly more abuse. The contrail comes with spacers to adjust your gap width but I wouldn’t worry about things like that as a beginner, too many options can lead to you worrying about stuff like that instead of just building good habits.

And lastly if your budget allows for it I really like the Japan Technology Amulette. It’s just a really good 4A yoyo. Some people don’t recommend more expensive 4A yoyos to start with since you’ll be dropping them so much, but I learned on a single Amulette and it’s withstood my countless drops, including on hard pavement, and it’s not showing any signs of breaking or serious damage. At this price point you won’t be left wanting something nicer in the future. You could also try the Japan Technology Trueno which looks great but I personally haven’t played one.

Happy 4A though! It’s my favorite style and I hope you end up enjoying it!

2 Likes

@mable thank you for all that! Looking at them, the trueno, and amulette. I am not opposed to the money for one like that. I like the idea of spending the money, especially for something that will last a while :smiley: thank you for all the recommendations though! The concept behind all of it appeals to me a lot, and so I am really hoping to pick one up and try it sooner rather than later :slight_smile:

1 Like