Longest hiatus?

I just broke my longest hiatus in yoyoing, 8 months of not touching a yoyo. Took some time to get back up to speed, but my arm seems to know more tricks than my brain.

What’s the longest time for you guys without throwing? What was it like coming back?

5 Likes

For me it was 12 years.

Didn’t miss out much, because all I could do before then was splitting some atoms and bind anyway.

But yeah when I came back I had to start all over again starting with learning to throw properly and catching the yoyo lol.

4 Likes

i ruined the response pads and bearing in my first n12, took me three months to buy a new bearing and pads, so about three months.

5 Likes

Messed up my Y Factor bearing and that was in 2010! so about 10 years

3 Likes

About 20 years here. My original throw was a Bumble Bee and my most advanced trick was the braintwister, so I quickly caught up and then some. I was surprised that my basic mechanics - while a little rusty - weren’t all that bad given the time lapse.

4 Likes

I think I took a 6 yo 7 month hiatus within a year after starting, although that may have been because my plastic one star was having issues and it was my only yoyo.
More recently, I take short breaks from time to time when I’m not feeling motivated. Usually coming back after a few weeks gets me motivated again.

3 Likes

Well, I knew it had to happen sooner or later.

The doorbell rang last night. So I got my Luftverk Daytona Slimline small bearing and put it in the box and back in the cabinet.

I answered the door and the delivery man handed me a small package.

I went in to the kitchen and opened the box. There was a yo-yo inside the package. A new string was already attached.

I put the string on my finger and started throwing again.

So… I would say at least 4 minutes.

10 Likes

2000’s to 2010. I didn’t know much at the time aside from the very basics and when I picked a yoyo back up again, I still had the basics down. It was also quite the leap from fixed/transaxle narrow gap yoyos to wider gap unresponsives and a whole new world to explore.

4 Likes

Just about 4 and a half years for me, used to compete as well, but it has been 7 years since I last did. That streak will be broken soon with the Scales Open!

2 Likes

25 years. I used to loop with fixed axle loopers back on the late 80s/early 90s, lost em all in a fire in… 93 I think.

Picked up a yo-yo at a toy store with my daughter 25 years later. Lots of money later… here I am.

3 Likes

4 years (2016 December to mid-way march 2020)

2 Likes

6 years or so. I went to a competition in 2013 and afterwards I didn’t touch one really until 2019. I kept them knowing I would come back one day. Nothing bad had at the competition or anything. I just felt a little burnt afterwards so I took a little break then life got crazy. After that I took competitive smash bros seriously and filled what would be yoyo time.

2 Likes

Around 25 years, I had a few yoyos back in the early 90s but was more into diablo and juggling at that point. Picked up an unresponsive yoyo in 2017 and got heavily into it - no idea why but I was on a years sabbatical from work and had plenty of free time to mess around with anything that sparked my interest. Went back to work in 2018 and things took a back seat for a while until 8 weeks of working from home came along :wink:

5 Likes

I guess it’s a tie :wink:

2 Likes

Wow. anyway welcome to the forums!

2 Likes

Like 2 weeks. I hit myself on the bridge of my nose leaving a noticeable scar

about 11 years for me! stopped somewhere in 2008, just picked up a WM last year on the BST to get my mind off a stressful time in college and been back ever since : )

4 Likes