How long have you been yo-yoing?

I’ve always considered myself to be relatively new at yo-yoing, but when I think about it, I’ve learned so much and advanced quite a bit. I’ve gone from merely asking questions to being able to actually answer some questions. I remember when siliconing a yoyo was for more experienced players than me, but now I can silicone my own yoyos. I remember when I only had one or two yoyos. Now I have ten. So I’m not quite so new to the yoyo community anymore.

So I wanted to see how “new” or “old” other people are to yo-yoing, and just to get a gist of the experience of the YYE community.

Ok, so before I start rambling:

How long have you been yo-yoing?

For me, it’s been about a year and half since I first picked up an unresponsive yoyo.

Well yoyos have been my favorite toy ever since I was probably 2-3. I can’t remember any time in my life when I wasn’t playing with yoyos on a semi regular basis.

As for modern yoyoing, that would be 3 and a half years ago.

I started in sixth grade ten years ago. My first throw was a duncan bumblebee and it was AWESOME then. I yoyoed in my schools talent show and sucked. Then i burnt out after a few months. I didnt pick up a yoyo again until March or April of this year, when i found my trusty, decade old bumblebee (ten years later) and now i havent looked back, I cannot believe how much this sports grown! I still have my old bumblebee, plus ten other metals and a few plastics.

1 year and 8 months, getting ready for competition also.

In fifth grade there were 5 or 6 people in my class that had yomega yoyos such as the brain, saber raider, or fireball; i ended getting a brain even though i wanted a FAST 201. I learned about modern yoyoing then but never got one because i didn’t know where to look.

Then this at the beginning of the 2010-2011 school year i saw someone yoyoing at school, but i forgot about it. Then in early March 2011, I wanted to start to yoyo for some random reason. So i ask my mom for a velocity from amazon.

When i got the yoyo i thought, “This is smaller than i thought it would be.” The firaat thing i learned was how to bind then started to learned the intermediate tricks.

Now almost six months later I have learned all the way up to master level tricks and also making up my own tricks and combos. I have owned 5 yoyos Velocity, L3, yoyomamma onyx, Raptor and Griffin Wing but the raptor and L3 got stripped and the velocity needs pads and a bearing.

Long story short i have been yoyoing for 6 months.

A bit over 13 years.
Started August of 98

Since 1992-1993

1 Like

Messing around with yoyos- 3 and 1/2 years.

Actually trying and learning/making up tricks- 1 and 3/4 years.

seriously for about a year

8 Months :stuck_out_tongue:

10 months. December, around Christmas will be the year mark. And no, i didnt get a yoyo for Christmas. (im Jewish)

1 1/2

a long time (or the blink of an eye).
learned sleeper and loop the loop in 1986…
trapeze sometime before i moved in 1989…
split the atom on my first bearing yo-yo in 1999…
rancid milk 2005…

… lately i’m back into sleeper and loop the loop.

i’ve only been yoyo’ing for 1 month!
this new hobby is very fun.

Same with me, but I did get a cheap dollar store yo yo for Christmas!

I was hooked.

9 months I think

My guess is about 15 years overall, I only say that because I honestly cannot remember at all!

Guess once you can’t remember is when you know you have been yoyoing far too long.

~Z

same, but this is when I pick up unresponsive yoyo and got hooked

3 1/2 years

On and off for about 1 1/2 … Not consistent But I love it!!!