List of All Titaniums

Honestly, I didn’t care for the Hyperion engraving, but the quality of it looks great, as it is darker and stands out more with design and detail. But, it looks a lot better next to the Dazzler, in the photos. Perhaps I have to see it in person, but that is the impression from the photos. We’ll see what I think of it when I get one.

You’re pretty spot on as the Dazzlers markings are very light and not as sharp in detail IMO. And the Dazzler also has its tiny nipple that was left behind during the manufacturing process. It’s very very tiny but is there. Just the words Dazzler and yyr would have suited my eye better. A blank surface on either would have been great too! If limited throws like these have engravings they should be there for numbering in my opinion.

I’m more than satisfied with both though and the Dazzler takes the win in performance. I like the overall look of the Hyperion more but that doesn’t really matter since playability is the #1 concern.

I would agree, and prefer minimal engraving, unless it’s on my YYE Editions or something like that, where the engravings really matter for the whole “look.” That is just what I was thinking about the Dazzler, the engravings appear “light.” I suppose whether they make it dark, light, a lot, a little, or even none…nothing they do will appeal to all of us. Rob is raving about his Dazzler too, so I can’t wait to get my hands on one. Does it play really light with that 63g?

It plays light, but not LIGHT. It is fast an nimble, but solid because of the stability and spin. It really is unlike anything else I own.

I prefer heavier throws, but normally because of the stability that comes with them. This one manages that stability without the weight. It is amazing.

I don’t think it plays light but RobK has way more throws to compare it to so it may play a tad light and I don’t realize it. I too think its my favorite throw. I haven’t thrown another yoyo in quite a few days and that was only to compare to the dazzler.

You know the Draupnir has a weight of only 63.5g which is pretty close to the Dazzler. I, like TotalArtist do not prefer Yoyo’s that are quite that light, but for whatever reason they designed the stainless steel rims in such a way that you do not perceive the weight to be anywhere near that light.

That was a huge concern of mine when I ordered my first Draupnir, but part of the reason I decided to buy two. It throws very differently than you would expect from its light weight. It’s like it has virtual weight to it…I Love It.

I would have no way to know for sure, but my guess is that the Dazzler exhibits that same phenomenon.
It would make sense with the amount of money they are charging for it, and since nobody seems to be complaining about it being so light.

This is a perfect description of it. The dazzler sounds more like the draupnir than any other yoyo I have heard described. I don’t care what yoyo the shape and size is based on, the way you describe the draupnir is how I experience the dazzler.

Wanted to touch on the weight and how “I” think it plays compared to my other Tis.

Out of all my Tis I feel like the ricochet plays the heaviest but not too heavy for me.

I think the TiWalker plays the lightest by a good margin.

Even though the Hyperion and Dazzler are similar in size I feel like even though the Hyperion weighs more it plays like its lighter.

The Soveriegn and Aurora also both seem to play lighter than the Dazzler.

I’m not experienced enough to know why these heavier Tis play lighter than the Dazzler but have an inkling that it has something to do with how the gap is designed. I could be totally wrong but the Dazzler is my only throw that exhibits what I think is a stronger force of the yoyo being unwound by the users throw.

I mentioned this in another thread somewhat but may end up making a thread just about the aspect of yoyos in general. Rarely do you read about how the yoyo feels on the “throw” in reviews. This is the first yoyo I can truly say wow just by the half second or whatever it is that its being unwound during the initial throw. Some use the word powerful but I don’t think that fits and some use the word fast yet that doesn’t fit either because when people read fast they are thinking about how it likes to be played.

When you give the Dazzler a “good” throw its like you can feel how fast it was unwound and the speed that its spinning even though there isn’t any vibe to translate that feeling. The bearing is loud enough to hear it moving along but its not that either. My lack of throwing a bunch of yoyos may be hindering my judgement here but for some reason I don’t think many will produce this tight/fast/unwind on the throw that I’m speaking of that gives it the not so light feeling during play.

The odd thing about how all the throws playing lighter (in my opinion) out of my Tis except the Ricochet is that I like the Ricochet (heaviest) and Dazzler (lightest) the most. With the Ricochet I feel like I can make it go almost anywhere I want it to but its the same end result with the Dazzler even though its the lightest. Don’t get me wrong. The feeling between the two on getting them to go where I prefer is completely different but the outcome is the same. It could be the mass of the Ricochet that gives it that feeling since it isn’t designed as a super thin walled Ti in places where thickness could have been slimmed down which gives it a much more dense feeling than all other Tis I own.

But getting back to the actual “throw” feeling, that feeling carries on even after its at the end of the string by what I only assume is its high rpm rate. Making the Dazzler do more than a slight tilt (produced from a bad throw) is actually hard to do. I’ve completed tricks from bad throws where it was tilting but managed to make it through the trick without what deffinately would have been a spin out with many many other yoyos. So what makes this yoyo have this attribute is something I’ll just flat out need a lot more experience to fathom but its something causing it for sure. My thoughts as of now are the gap and how it somehow makes the string wind tighter/better than others but who knows! Maybe its magic lol.

A review from a well experienced thrower would possibly give more insight into what I’m reaching at.

Your written review of the Hyperion was spot on, so it seems you have a good “feel” for these yo-yos enough to describe them, regardless of any level of experience. Some can articulate these aspects better than others. I love that solid Ricochet feel, but I am always impressed by a yo-yo that has “light” weight, yet it maintains good spin and stability. That was the exception I found in the Exit 8, which I never expected to enjoy playing so much. I have not played the Dazzler, but a throw that is described as “light” yet has stability, and great spin, while retaining quickness, sounds really special.

I agree that it is the thinking outside the box of thin walls on a titanium that made that Ricochet so special. It is my favorite YoyoFactory to date.

“You rang?”

http://lghttp.13060.nexcesscdn.net/80647E/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/r/krown14_1.jpg

1 Like

TA

What I’d really like to see although it may be too much for most if not all companies to produce would be an extremely thinned walled Ti coupled with heavy weight rings in the 66-68g range. I just don’t know if there are enough great players that could/would use all its potential. Granted the increase in performance would only be minimal compared to other extreme designed yoyos but it would outperform them.

Since this is such a small market I don’t see many companies willing to risk manufacturing a throw like this but it would be one yoyo that would deffinately have an advantage I would think. I have no idea how much it would cost to manufacture but imagine the tight tolerances for the Ti body to accept the rings would produce some flawed halves which would need to be destroyed.

Thanks Gambit, you inspired a spinoff thread. I appreciate the suggestion. :wink:

MLYYM, that is an interesting design that you propose. I wonder if someone who has more experience on the design and manufacturing department, could enlighten us about the possibilities of such an idea, and whether they might see it coming to fruition. I suppose it would only take someone willing to incur the risks financially of bringing us something new. Or, perhaps this has been done at some point already and we are unaware of it. Let’s hope someone knowledgeable in that regard might shed some light on that.

I think a better way to get the result you’re thinking of MLYYM might be to have a carbon fibre inner with some heavy (possibly tungsten) rims, CF will be lighter and possibly allow thinner walls than Ti hence creating a bigger weight differential between the inner and outer sections of the yoyo.

Yeah that would be nice but I have never seen carbon fiber used for something like a yoyo. It would be very very hard to make that’s for sure. I have dabbled with custom car parts with DIY wet applications which is heavier than dry but wouldn’t really make much difference with something this small.

Fiber also isn’t nearly as strong as Al or Ti and would think getting rims to stay on the yo would also require some tweaking. Don’t get me wrong, its strong but its tensile strength allows bending.

My wedding band is actually carbon fiber lol.

I’ve been looking for info about the Vektor because of this very reason and just curious to see what it looks like/specs too.

there’s also the option of Forged Composites, which is essentially CF but instead of being woven into a sheet, it’s made into a paste where all the fibres are randomly distributed and then essentially injection moulded (or something very similar, I’m no expert) it’s not as strong as CF but it’s strength is even in all directions, as opposed to woven which is particularly strong in one direction but flexes a lot in all other directions. Forged Composites are also cheaper and easier to manufacture. But I do agree the biggest issue is probably attaching the rims to the composite.

Yeah after I wrote that I googled carbon fiber yoyo and it seems like there was a graphite one that had a weave that passed over as carbon fiber that had rims and hub of metal but reviews weren’t very good. I’d imagine just getting two exact halves would be the hardest part besides rim attachment. And not to mention how many layers it would take to make the yo withstand abuse. Once the layers start adding up it wouldn’t be much lighter than Ti and could just use a heavy ring mated with Ti (idk what would be the heaviest metal that would fit this app but surely there are options). Carbon is just hard to make “identical” weights and shapes when dealing with something this small.

well that brings us back to Tungsten, it’s one of the heaviest/ densest and is THE strongest metal on earth

Yup. Ti yoyo with tungsten rims. If YYR would do one of these, I’d buy it.

Just some information, since we’re veering off topic anyway :wink:

Carbon fiber has been done for yoyos a few times. There was a yoyo called the Rev-G (stood for revolution generation I believe?) back in the 90s… hands down the worst yoyo ever made… but it was carbon fiber.

More notably S.kon from Japan (multiple winner of the world mod contest) has made several CF bodied yoyos, including two of his world mod contest entries. He also does random very short productions (5 or 6 yoyos) of a carbon fiber ‘wrapped’ yoyo called the Vektor… it’s an aluminum body with a cf shell around it.

I myself have had a carbon fiber yoyo kinda on hold for many years, but it’s a costly process to set up for a market that is rather small given the pricetag it would require.

Tungsten has been used by Russ Andert in the ‘eli dert’ (and a few others)… he no longer makes yoyos, but they float around if you’ve got the cash for them. He used a copper/tungsten alloy best I can tell since it’s far more machinable than a more pure version of Tungsten (and more durable… tungsten is hard, but brittle)

Extreme rim weight can be bad. The RPM of the yoyo drops relative to the rim weighting of a yo-yo, so while you’ll get great sleeper record style spins (it will hold its RPM better), you get a yoyo that feels quite a bit like a brick and doesn’t play very well. Low RPM = sluggish feel.

If you want to max out rim weight, just because you can, go with a lightweight honeycomb plastic structure for the body… then add high purity tungsten weight rings. You can get the rim weight up to around 94%… I designed one probably 8 years ago, but since it’s more a theoretical exercise than anything else, I never made it.

Titanium isn’t a good way to reduce weight, it’s very heavy… 2x aluminum. It’s just very strong by comparison. The ‘lightweight’ connotation attached to Titanium is in comparison to things like brass and very dense steel alloys that it often replaces. You can shed ‘some’ weight over aluminum due to the increase in strength/weight ratio, but not a whole lot compared to other options.

Kyle