List of All Titaniums

That’s interesting Kyo. I understand most of it just from my engineering background and having dabbled in carbon fiber quite a few times. And the tungstens brittle attribute is another major point but since it can be mated with copper that is a plus since both are very heavy.

The carbon fiber which everyone sees as a finished product is quite beautiful and strong in its own particular ways is often over hyped because of the ignorance most have about how it reaches its finished form.

So you (being in the design game) think plastic would be better to mate with an alloy rim over extremely thin Ti? But even if its better, you still don’t think it would perform? I’m not disputing by any means but just trying to dig for more info. From what you’ve said and from what successful yoyos are on the market it seems like your quote suggests that’s why we haven’t seen such a throw.

What I take away from your post is that there is a happy medium between the center weight and outer rim weight that if deviated too far from then its just crap. Is that safe to say?

I do know I can honestly see how a fiber throw could be horrible just by understanding the process of how its constructed. Too many tolerances that need to match exactly not only from each half but from the entire volume of mass each half is made of would cause all kinds of issues if some parts of the surfaces were heavier/lighter than the equal/opposite opposing part.

Thanks for putting this theory to bed early lol!

Ok. Serious inquires only. If I told you all that there could be a Ti Draupnir on the way how many would actually put the money up even if had to but from somewhere other than YYE?

Please serious inquires only as one wouldn’t want to get stuck with a foot in their mouth.

I’ve got something in the works and any specs or anything other than the idea are all unknown.

Please pm me with any interests even if depends on certain factors. All interests with limitations will help see where my project stands.

I would be potentially interested if it wasn’t for the knowledge that it would cost

That is a very interesting question. I have dedicated myself to collecting titaniums, but because it will be “impossible” to get my hands on them all, that allows me to be a lot more selective about what to buy and what to pass on. I do not feel guilty passing on a model, because the titanium collection can never be complete. The Dazzler would have been a pass if YoyoExpert could not get them.

I would say no at this stage, because I would need to know a lot more to make an educated decision. I will buy a yo-yo in a heartbeat if everything is “right.” In this instance, I have not ever tried the Draupnir, so beyond rave reviews, I cannot fully imagine a titanium version. The level of excitement cannot peak without having played the Draupnir. There is at least one store I would never give my money to in a million years. So, if the sale was there, I would gladly pass on it.

I hope I am not misunderstanding, but there is only one retailer who I would pre-pay…before a yo-yo is manufactured. I have heard horror stories about people prepaying for things and losing their money. Also, I would need to know the price to say yes to the idea.

As I mentioned in the YYR thread, I’m very interested. But there are limits on my interest as well. Let us in on the details you can and it will. help us focus our interest.

The process isn’t all that difficult, just requires molds to be machined, which can be pricey. The process is also rather long (compared to machining), so doing it for a short production would be costly per piece.

Thin Ti is still heavy compared to a lot of things. With what is essentially a hollow (but structurally sound) plastic body, you can drop the actual weight of the body itself to around 4-5g… you’ll never approach that with any other method. That leaves you a whole lot of weight to slap on the rims.

Yes. You can calculate the RPM of a yo-yo on a given throw, it’s pretty basic physics (at least in theoretical conditions). To simplify, as the rim weight increases, the rpm decreases. The inertia is higher, which results in the yo-yo maintaining that RPM for a much longer time… more than making up for the lack of high rpm in sleep times. However, for our purposes (unless you are setting sleeper records), we want something that moves a lot faster than that… so yes, there is a delicate balance.

The Rev-G failed because the design was absolutely, unquestionably awful. It was made by a kite company… they knew a lot about carbon, very little about yo-yos. S.kon has made absolutely fantastic, world class yo-yos from carbon fiber… of course, he makes f1 race car parts for a living, and is without question, the best yo-yo builder in the world.

Kyle

I am just trying to see how many would be interested at this point and if there are enough interested then I’ll go one step further as far as price, size, materials, etc… I believe the magic number would be 8 throws. I honestly don’t even know who it would be bought from at this point either. I have been relaying messages with the builder of the draupnir.

Since you talk to Andre maybe we could work out a deal with him if it ends up being a preorder ordeal. As of now everything is a big unknown. A lot of people mentioned a Ti version of the draupnir when the dazzler was released and how they thought that would have been the better throw to recreate in Ti. I simply passed that on to the maker and that’s where we are.

That makes sense, if you have a minimum of 8 orders, I’m curious what price that would make them per throw. Andre is very down to earth, so everyone talks to him. :smiley: I tend to do most of my yo-yo business with him, he is local, and a very nice guy. It keeps things easy. Feel free to email him if the idea gets enough interest. I am not usually in tune with some of the YYR talk, so it is interesting to know that people would have loved to see a Ti Draupnir instead. I will certainly get a Draupnir with all I’ve heard, just not sure how soon it will happen within my list of things to buy.

I haven’t gotten my draupnir yet, but if the dazzler is any indicator, you might want to move it ot the head of the list. Especially since the ano’d ones are now available.

I just dislike red so got tempered rims while waiting for the black ano to come out next month. But yea, I agree and seems like the must have throw.

If I knew the black was only another month away, I might have waited.

No. I wouldn’t have. I really would like to get the draupnir with any ano. I prefer black to red by a wide margin, but am a little antsy to get one. I will nowq hold off buying until they do splashed ano with tempered rims. :slight_smile:

My Dazzler is on it’s way, so I will shortly know what all the buzz is about. It will get here on Christmas Eve too…nice Xmas gift to myself. :slight_smile:

Where from and how much…?

Here, by special order…$650.

I ordered one as well, I somehow get the feeling it’s going to feel like a Titanium version of the Lazer.

Either way, can’t wait to give it a throw.
We’ll have to share thoughts afterwords.

The difference for me, is that I haven’t owned a lot of YYR. So, I’m limited in the ability to compare the Dazzler to their other models. I only own the Triplet and Overdrive, so I just started buying the brand recently.

I’m dedicated to the titanium collecting now, but I’m being patient about it. I discussed buying a few titaniums I don’t have from a few people (Ti5/TiWalker). I’m not willing to bid or make offers on them though. I plan to buy from a seller who really wants to name their price…and sell. In other words, I like to cut to the chase. If there is a bidding war, someone else can have it, because another one will pop up.

Just an update. I got the Dazzler in the mail. No fancy packaging, the standard YYR box and string. For starters, I almost passed on this one due to the fact that it’s 63g, and I was not sure if YYE would be getting them. With a $650 price tag…I only spend that kind of money here. So, the update is that YoyoExpert offered to special order this model, and then I was on board to add it to my small, but growing, titanium collection.

I haven’t had much of a chance to throw this around, due to holiday plans. But, my first impression is that it is fantastic, and incredibly smooth too. It is light for my taste. I knew with that 63g, that I would prefer a little more yo-yo. I was right. It does play fantastic though, and I’ll comment more when the holiday plans die down some. As you know, I’m more of a collector when it comes to these, so how it plays, being light, is not as relevant for me as it might be for others. Due to it being light, it will definitely not be one of my “doubles.” :wink:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3832/11601101143_b02a8df6f3_z.jpg
Dazzler by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2817/11601213154_673e802632_z.jpg
Dazzlerb by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3814/11600636705_49a98af193.jpg
Dazzler by TotalArtist Yoyos, on Flickr

If anyone followed my buying spree of trying to obtain the whole Ti collection and would like to buy any of them just send me a pm or ask me to make thread in BST.

After having a bad deal with Kyo on acquiring his three produced I’m leaving the collecting aspect of yoyos behind. I’ve never been through an ordeal with a manufacturer in any of my other hobbies: fishing, rods, reels, lures. Audio video, speakers, drivers, components, projectors etc… Radio controlled vehicles- air and land Planes, copters, buggies, cars, trucks, truggies, boats etc… Card collecting rookies, signed rookies etc… My most traded/purchasing hobby- memmoribilia. Everything from rookie auto pictures to game used balls and jerseys…to movie autographed items and movie star autographed items.

All of the above have both young and old members but have never had a single bad transaction. I’ve heard stories about the bad sides of yoyo manufacturers and dealing with retailers before but honestly shook his horror stories off and thought maybe he was the one to blame for being a bad business man/retired manufacturer.

It’s just took all my excitement of what I had presumed as a great community (from manufacturers all the way to us enthusiast) out of it for me. I truly don’t have time to worry about purchases over great value not coming full circle like with all my other hobbies of many years.

I’m going to keep a couple of my favorite throws and watch for YYE new releases of advancements in technology but won’t be “collecting” any longer. Learning from vid tuts will always bring excitement/frustration/and the need for help from the great helpers around here But searching for rare throws and trying to track them down will just not be fun for me anymore. So my collection is not of any use for me any longer.

^ To heck with that. I think you get some real joy out of collecting, just like I do. Don’t let one bad experience slow you down. I know it’s your choice in the end, but I think the frustration will wear off over time, and you’ll be back to your old self again. The vast majority of people doing business in yo-yo will meet or exceed your expectations.

People may tend to think I’m just a loyal YoyoExpert customer for absolutely no reason. But, when it comes to spending money and collecting, I know I have a retail establishment I can count on to give me great service all the time. I very rarely deal with yo-yo manufacturers directly, and I have only done it once ever recently, looking for something no longer in production.

We all have that frustration set it though. For me, personally, it has come from the BST more than any other source. Now that I have almost every past release I ever wanted, I don’t have to rely on the BST nearly as much. Aside from people making me an offer direct via PMs, I will rarely make a yo-yo purchase off the BST. I’ll buy string, accessories maybe, but I’m not feeling the BST game these days. So, we all go through it in one way or another. It’s part of collecting, and you will set the guidelines of how far you’re willing to go to collect. That will limit the frustration.

We all have our flaws though, and that is why I always thought that the “goody goody” image of this community has been exaggerated. We are like everyone else in society, the same behavior, the same mistakes, the same good and bad as everyone else in the world. Just remember that when making a deal…business is business. Hold them to that standard.

I’m going to let you sleep on it, but if you really want to sell, we’ll talk. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks TA. I just deal with many many more people throughout many hobbies more so than 90% of most collectors.

I’m truly a collector of many hobbies/things and the searching, negotiating of something one wants so bad is the most enjoyable part of it in many cases, like with the rare items especially or the numbered items, and even sometimes the items that are plentiful but yet heavenly coveted.

In the card collecting business there are many many items out there that can be had but finding the exact one : eg Michael Jordan fleer rookie. I can get one any time of day from $300 to $10,000. Finding the one that is graded 9.5,9,9.5,9 which is mint condition at its finest. I can find it rarely but rarely can I find it for the “correct” market price. All the talk of it could be regraded to 9.5 overall so I’m selling it for $2000 more than the last 9mint sold for. You search for these type of specific cards until you find one correctly priced and literally jump on PayPal to buy it. I’ve been through 1000’s of situations like that and never once been in a bad deal. You finally find what you’ve been searching for and 100% of the time the deal goes as smooth from both parties (not including postage as every blue moon they screw up).

Rods, reels, lures are a bit different. They are generally sold at a going price without condition even being part of the equation. When one searches and searches finally finding one they pay what its going price is and have never had a bad deal. These forums are generally filled with adults only but no manufacturers. Sometimes a retailer will have an item on a shelf but also never had a bad deal.

Radio controlled vehicles has about the same adult:minor population as YYE but they all pretty much see each other during events, at hobby shops, or at meets so don’t even have a unconscious thought about bad dealings unless are ready to not show face ever again.

Autographed sports and other memorabilia has its faults but if deal with any manufacturer or company there is like 0% chance of getting ripped. Too much money exchanging hands daily for a negative transaction. They too are a tight group which see each other quite often.

Electronics. Well most high end electronics are sold by people that would rather give something away for free than having to worry about defending them self about a bad deal. They would lose money by a bad deal that eventually got worked out because they would no longer be in the loop. It’s a small group when talking high end audio/video.

The search is great/thrill seeking to an extent in all hobbies but when that thrill turns bad then getting over it isn’t like forgiving a friend. It’s totally different. Trusting manufacturers should never be a worry especially when dealing with children. That’s yye’s main age group. If children or children’s parents can’t trust retailer/wholesaler/manufacturer then parents will put a stop to that immediately.

I truly enjoyed tracking down/searching for rare throws just as much as that rare reel but once I had issues I realized the people in the yoyo industry tend to be exponentially worse than my other hobbies. Just not worth my headache when those I trust in providing products live too far away for a rude visit from myself And that’s a shame. I do enjoy collecting yoyos but as much time as I put into it its still the smallest amount of money/time spent compared to the other hobbies. Then after reading a retired manufacturer story of all the behind the scenes stuff in the yoyo industry I could clearly understand how many of the people conduct their business behind the childrens’ eyes for their own gain. Just seems like a lot more twisted industry than most would think for a toy industry.

I’m not worried about buying/trading on BST as there are risks with that no matter what the object is but its what all is going on higher up that trickles down that finally pushed me away.

I like yoyoing as it stimulates my brain when learning tricks but I can continue to yoyo, watch tuts, travel the forums all without being a “true” collector. My collections are over the top so I feel like dealing with the higher ups in this industry is risky;therefore, I really don’t see how I could acquire the throws I’d collect without dealing with said people.