Lightweight yoyos comparison

I think I prefer lightweight yoyos, they just seem to move with less effort and more precision. The one I currrently have is pretty old (YYJ Speeder), without sidecaps it weighs 59.5g. So I’m looking for a metal one that weighs around 60g. The ones that have caught my eye: Smashing Float, YoYoBrothers Voyage, Yoyofriends Hummingbird.

Is anyone able to compare/contrast them? Or let me know if I should rethink a preference for lightweight yoyos, undeniably the people who are winning competitions are doing it with midweight ones.

5 Likes

the flank is a cool shape at 63 g. you’ll have to do some hunting

1 Like

Highly recommend the float if this is what you are looking for.

Spintime Matador is very light. I think about 61g? I will check when I get home.

Edit: Matador is 61.0g with YYSL Type X cut to my length. Amazing performance from this organic yoyos made of 7068 aluminium

1 Like

I have a NMTBS Flank for sale right now for $20.

2 Likes

The RCS Author weighs 56g and it’s amazing. The G2 Campaign Easy weighs 55.5g and it’s equally as awesome.

2 Likes

63.64 grams (flank) doesn’t seem that light to me. Isn’t that a pretty average weight?

I have a proto that is 3 grams lighter that plays and feels like nothing else in my collection and is a ton of fun to play with.

2 Likes

PM sent

1 Like

You guys brought up some really interesting options, thanks. Is anyone able to compare the Float and Voyage? They seem very similar but the Voyage is bimetal.

1 Like

Smashing Crucible if you can find one. Also the G2 Campaign “easy”.

2 Likes

If you like light weight the newer Duncan Metal Drifter comes in at 58.5 grams and takes either C size bearings to play responsive or unresponsive. I feel it plays above its price point and is often overlooked. It even comes with a fun counterweight.

3 Likes

Float is really good. One of my favorite monometals.

3 Likes

I have a OD Legendary Terrarian with ultra lite side effects weighing in at 61 grams and it plays amazingly.

Are you able to compare it to the Float? What I’m looking for is something that is lightweight but very stable i.e. doesn’t tilt easily.

Float is more stable than the original terrarian at least. Not sure how it compares to the Legendary Terrarian.

1 Like

So I’m not trying to get you to change preferences, I prefer yo-yos on the lower half of the 60-70g range, but I will say that if you’re trying to push for speed, make sure the light yo-yos you’re after have a lot of rim weight. Hiroyuki Suzuki used heavier yo-yos because pushing light yo-yos too fast can lead to them being a bit out of control. Like some are so fast that it actually limits how fast you can play with them while maintaining that control.

2 Likes

That’s really helpful, thanks. I’m looking for a very rim-weighted and light yoyo. The reason is I’m not particularly fast, and having a lighter yoyo helps me with getting up to medium speed. I don’t anticipate going super fast anytime soon. But the drawbacks of a light yoyo are spin time and stability from my experience. If there is a yoyo that’s ~60g but extremely stable, that would be perfect.