Switching from a heavy yoyo to a light yoyo

I recently got my first light bimetal, a yoyofriends peregrine. It weighs 63.5 grams. Before that I had been using a 66.5 gram unprld recognition mainly for about 7 months. What a difference the 3 grams makes. When I first got the Peregrine I thought I made a huge mistake, I literally sucked with it. It took me like 2 weeks to finally get comfortable with using a lighter yoyo. I’m still unsure if I prefer lighter or heavier. I like how heavier yoyos carry more momentum and string presence. For some reason though, I keep picking up the peregrine over the recognition. Have any of you ever experienced this where you switch from using a heavy yoyo to a light yoyo? I never thought it would be such a difference.

5 Likes

I like stuff around 63-65g. The tachyon has a lot of rim weight but the 60g still gets shaken a bit easier than most.

2 Likes

Same here. Independent of any performance advantage/disadvantage, this is a quality that I appreciate.

3 Likes

@GTDropKnot they talkin 3g tell them the difference between 20g

4 Likes

for me it’s incredibly hard to feel weight differences. my wish feels heavy to me but it’s 64.77, my kapital feels super light and it’s 64.13. maybe i’m just not good enough, but i’m sure way more factors are at play

4 Likes

I generally prefer around 66g and that -3g difference definitely makes me feel like I need to compensate and play with a lighter touch. I can’t imagine what it’s like going from a 80g yoyo :laughing:

4 Likes

Weight distro matters a lot to how heavy things feel.

9 Likes

It’s fine they’re just like different yo-yos. I love hades because it’s so easy to control. I can throw suicides exactly how I want to throw them to maximize the loop opening up and placing the loop right where I want to catch it. I agree with Zaf about tachyon completely like it’s super rim weighted and very stable but accidental bumps matter a lot more than with heavier weights ime .

2 Likes

Kapital is more center weighted and Wish is rim-weighted.
Rim weighted result in more weight on string and increase stability so it’s okay to feel that way. It’s like I feel Pharaoh+ have a heavier feeling compare to Physix

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing when I got the Peregrine. Like how the hell is this dude using a Tachyon sometimes. :joy:

1 Like

i know how to feel rim weight and center weight and i understand those differences yeah, but i still swear it’s lighter feeling

1 Like

try going from a GBP (48g) to anything 63-65g lol, its a wild transition

2 Likes

Another thing is, I thought since my shooting star was about the same weight it would be similar. The shooting stars weight distribution makes a huge difference. That thing feels like a brick compared to the Peregrine.

May be take into account that Wish is bimetal and Steel is denser then Aluminum. Also Kapital is ~3mm wider so weight of yoyo can spread out across the yoyo

1 Like

good point!

1 Like

All I know is if I play with my dif e yo monster at 100g for a period I feel like everything else is super light.

1 Like