Let's talk Mechanical Keyboards

Nobody has my mechanical keyboard, the Code? tsk tsk. Shame.

https://codekeyboards.com/

4 Likes

Back in 2015, I started with a WASD V2 (very similar to the Code). But I really wanted a Filco Majestouch-2, and eventually switched over to Filcos. But then I discovered the joys of Topre switches and haven’t looked back since.

1 Like

Same here. I honestly think that they are ugly and detract from the look of a pure keyboard.

As for mocha, I have a couple. My favorite board is a black 55g realforce with HHKB white blanks, with my runner up being a classic Unicomp. I’ve been considering one of those newly fabricated Model Fs, but I really dont want to spend the money since in happy with what I have. Cherry switches and the like really aren’t my thing.

Here is my realforce:

2 Likes

Hi men,

I’ve been researching about mechanical keyboards and I’m really interested in one. They sound so tactile to me.

I’m looking for a mechanical keyboard that isn’t too expensive and good for gaming as well as typing.

Any recommendations?

2 Likes

Mine has that super authentic period tactile response, and the sound is responsive to keystroke speed, plus this particular model has a background ring with each stroke like it’s humming to itself.

14 Likes

We need more info, my guy!
Budget? (you can find a cheap TKL mech for $50, and $500+ for high-end boards)
Layout? (Full, 80%, TKL, 60%, etc.)
Switch type? (Clicky? Tactile? Linear?)

Here’s my daily driver, a GK64 (trash software, do NOT get this keeb) with some standard Maxkey SA caps. I’m firmly in the artisan-fan camp :sweat_smile:

I recently replaced the Gateron Browns with Kailh Box Pale Blues…

I have all the supplies to make custom cables, I just need to sit down and solder them up.

3 Likes

A couple of 60% keyboards of mine that are typewriter inspired:

Note that these aren’t cheap, despite only being 60%ers.

10 Likes

Been researching mechanical keyboards too. Budget for me would be something $50 to $80. Layout of 80% (so no numpad at the right hand side). As for switches, open to pretty much anything except for clicky switches that are really loud (i.e. Cherry MX blues). Any recommendations along these lines? I like color and I would like a nice keyboard at some point. Just using a bargain basement keyboard right now that is probably worth no more than $2 at best.

In my experience, the click leaf of MX blues does not produce a very loud click. In fact, it can be almost imperceptible over the cacophony of bottom-out and upstroke noise.

1 Like

That sounds good enough for me. Are they ok?

I’d like a full sized keyboard preferably, but not essential.

1 Like

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for, but all mechanical keyboards are pretty basic electronically so the biggest differences are going to be build quality and aesthetics.

Redragon, Corsair, and Vortex would be good starting points in different price brackets.

1 Like

I have this one at work. MX Black switches for extra resistance as I tend to be very heavy handed.

Because I’m a cheapster, I ended up purchasing this one. It has outemu brown switches. I looked up some reviews for them and it seems like people like them. It should be fine to give me a taste of what a mechanical keyboard is like.

3 Likes

It’s good that it has a standard layout too. That way, if you get interested in custom keycaps (which is what really got me hooked), they will fit onto that keyboard without any issues.

1 Like

Do any caps fit any type of switches, or will I have to buy caps specifically for outemu brown switches?

Otemu browns are Cherry MX (brown) clones, so they will take any keycap set that is meant for Cherry MX switches. Which is, like, 99% of custom keycap sets that have ever been made. The only keycaps to avoid are any described as fitting Alps switches or Topre switches, neither of which you will find very often. Basically, just look for keycaps that say they are MX compatible.

2 Likes

I got one! Now learning to touch type. I should have learned this a long time ago.

7 Likes

I have super basic mechanical keyboards that I use. I’m interested enough and enjoy using them enough to buy a mechanical keyboard but not crazy enough yet to buy super fancy ones or custom key caps.

Using a Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL for work.

And using a WASD CODE TKL at home.

2 Likes

Those are both really solid keyboards. My first mechanical was a WASD V2, and my second was a Filco Majestouch-2.

However, once, I typed on Topre switches, I couldn’t really go back to MX switches, and ever since getting my first set of SA keycaps, I’ve completely sworn off cylindrical keycaps.