Let's talk about string

Just curious about how everyone keeps their yoyos when not being played. Do you shelf them with string on or take your string off? Do you rotate the same string from one yoyo to the next, if not do you use the same brand/type on all throws?

3 Likes

Often I have 1 string in play, most of my yo-yos don’t have any string. I’d love to just have a ton of ammo so they could all be thrown whenever. Speaking of string, for old worn out string, recently I’ve started a string ball of only ammo by Yoyostringlab @MattB. Not all of the ammo I’ve used or own, but it’s getting heavy :joy:

6 Likes

I have a string on almost all my yoyos. I use kitty on most except ones I rarely use that I don’t want to take the time to put a nice string on.

1 Like

I string up before I play I usually have a string a week.
I don’t need to change them that often but i have a problem and not only do I have more yoyo than one would ever need, I also have more string than probably 10 people will need for a lifetime

1 Like

I keep mine all strung, for the most part. I do use kitty string for most of my throws, however, I do like to try new strings a lot too. Right now I have a few strung up with Markmont formula and a couple with some Zipline strings.

I keep mine strung up, sometimes I’ll take a string and switch it to another throw if it’s in good shape as to avoid using up string that I don’t need to. Currently using MFD Vines and they seem to be lasting a long time. Have hand-washed a string after it got a little dirty and it felt like new again.

2 Likes

I keep 6 throwers with various string. Most of the rest of my collection is stored however they were shipped. I would say that 75% come with string on the side. The rest come pre-strung and ready to play. I have read that it is not good to store yo-yos with string around the barring. Is that true.

1 Like

I’ve seen recommendations to store yoyos without string because of moisture in the string promoting bearing corrosion, but I keep all of mine stored with a string. Some have ziplines, others airetic, markmont, plutonium, etc. If I find a good string match for a yoyo I keep it that way.

2 Likes

If you live in humid climate it could lead to bearing corrosion as your string acts like a wick. I haven’t had any issues as California is rather dry.

1 Like

I had heard/read that somewhere too, I keep string on my throws and have never had any issues (aside from occasionally leaving a string that needs replacing on a yoyo).

i keep mine in a case with string on them. recently @FrankieJR sent me an SF PLSTC, with MonkeyfingeR vines, i’m really enjoying the vines, so i think i’ll use that as on most my yoyos, but on my good ones, i have Sochie phat, from @JWaugh.

3 Likes

You’re the second person in this topic to praise Vines. I might give them a try. What are they comparable to( as far as feel, durability, thickness, etc.)?

1 Like

you can choose color thickness and length. there pretty durable, and as far as feel, they feel great, not to sticky, and not to slippy. and they are really really cheap.

1 Like