Let's talk about string thickness, break-in, bind consistency and more!

Hi everyone, I’m by no means a yoyo expert, but I like this hobby. I only started yoyoing since last October, but I’ve been practicing a lot and slowly starting to appreciate the subtle differences in different yoyos and their accessories.

Recently I’ve been trying out different kinds of strings. So far I’ve tried Kitty Fat and XL, Sochi Fat and Normal, and Markmont Cumulus Foam.

I know that a lot of people seem to prefer new, bouncy string. However, It’s quite the opposite for me. I like broken-in string. It might be crusty looking compared to new string, but it’s more consistent. From my experience, once a string is broken in, it plays consistently after that. New string tend to be bouncy, and as time goes on, it stretches in length and becomes thinner. I like consistency in my string.

One of the other things I care about in a string is bind consistency. I hate when my binds slip. I have quite a few binds up my puny arsenal of tricks, but there is this one bind that seem to be on the border of risky/safe binds.

Some binds like guy wright, hiroyuki suzuki, laceration and the regular binds are of low risk from my experience, and they pretty much bind the way I want all the time.

However, there is this one bind I do pretty much the majority of the time and despite it being reliable 90% of the time it still slips every now and then. I’ve been using that bind all the time so I’m pretty sensitive when something feels off about it. While going through different types of pads and string, I noticed something strange about string.

First of all, I doubt it’s my pads. I’ve used several different pads before, and eventually moved onto RTV. I now use Permatex Ultra Grey RTV since it’s the most durable of all the permatex RTV out there, and it is the grippiest of all the 19mm pads I’ve used so far. Also, from my experience, RTV silicone has no risk of falling out. Every single time I’ve siliconed my yoyos it has always been stuck in the groove very nice and firm.

If a bind is slippy on a new yoyo I get, I re silicone it with the RTV and its problems usually go away.

Then as I started trying out different string I noticed something strange.

I usually keep all my used string on a coat hanger and I just hang it on them by the slipknot. It helps with gauging length and sorting them by colour and type makes it easy to compare between strings.

I noticed that thickness between string become pretty much negligible after break-in. Sochi Normal, Fat, and Kitty Fat and XL seem virtually the exact same when it comes to thickness. Now, it may seem like the thickest string binds the most consistently, but it doesn’t seem like it’s quite the case either. For whatever reason, Sochi normal binds the most consistently while all of the other string slip every now and then. It’s rather surprising since it’s allegedly the thinnest out of all the string I have.

Now, new string tend to hold its characteristics well as it’s a bit more puffed up, and as a result the rated thickness of the string actually shows, but once the string are broken in, I think they all play similar to each other (except sochi normal for some reason, which seems like the most consistently binding string I have tried so far)

It’s somewhat disappointing, since I wanted to try out whipper strings since I’m learning more and more slack and whip tricks, and from what I read, thicker strings carry its momentum better than thinner string because they’re heavier, but it’s weird that the thicker string variants I own seem to slip a bit more than my sochi normal.

I’d love any discussion regarding this, since I like detailed discussion regarding accessories. I really enjoy the subtle differences in all the different parts in a yoyo. Do you guys like playing with new string or broken-in string? What do you think about bind consistency? Do you guys do certain binds that tend to work 100% of the time on a certain string while slipping on others? Have you guys notice any slippage on thicker string compared to thinner string?

3 Likes

I’m no yo-yo sage myself, only been throwing over year and half and like you love the sport (hobby😂 )
As a maker of my own string I can feel your vibes.
I NEED certain thickness of string on different yoyos, which makes sense, being different weights and gaps to get 99% consistency.

I find Nylon Poly perfect or a Trilobal mix might be your best friend in this instance. If you were trying make your own strings that last forever and stay in a broken-in state. I personally have not used Trilobal but the poly and nylon blend work great for extended periods.

I would also say try and keep everything equal and experiment with the string factor at the moment to find what you want/ need / and put silicone to the back of your thoughts as muddling with too many factors might make it difficult to narrow down the nuances.
You got a tried and tested silicone, so I will put a pin in that for now.

Thickness matters immensely.
I like a slightly chunkier 14 thread count on my OD Downbeat and a slimmer 10 count on my Batsquatch. It so variable between throws.
One blend from a source couldn’t be a one size fits all solution for all my yo’s.

Now if your not interested into going through all the trouble of making your own string some yo-yo string manufacturers make very durable long lasting string, like the aforementioned Markmont blends.
My worry when you prefer broken-in string is your yo-yo flying across the room or the pavement😱, so a Nylon / NylonPoly or durable blend would be good.

As you do your own silicone I thought I’d add a perspective of string making because I find tinkering a blend is great fun Inbetween learning tricks and gives you SO much control over your ropes :wink:

Personally, I have found my taste to change over my short time here and started to prefer a slimmer string as tricks got more techy.

If you can’t find what you want…make it :+1::+1:

Just my personal waffling, hope it helps.

Good luck my dude. Happy throwing.

3 Likes

One YouTube yoyo reviewer would always tell what string worked best with a yoyo. I always appreciated that and wish that more reviewers would include that information. Kitty Fat seems to be the standard and I am glad that their is a standard. Yes there are variances in yoyo gap, but I think it is remarkable that with hundreds of yoyos for sale by so many companies, the gaps are actually quite close and can be adjusted by the thickness of the rings.

I think every thrower eventually goes through an exploration phase and tries a bunch of strings. I know I did and I really learned to appreciate companies that label their string packs. It amazes me how many packs of strings I have bought with no labeling other than company name.

4 Likes

It’s probably yiyango (AKA philip from yoyofriends) since I also noticed that he recommends specific string for each yoyo he reviews. I really appreciate all of his information he provides with the yoyos. Imo definitely the best yoyo reviewer out there right now.

Ikr? I am slowly noticing the difference between each string and each time I get a no name string I really wonder what exact variant the string is. It bums me out when I get a really good string but I have no clue what or who made the string.

5 Likes

Pre-stretching strings helps them stay consistent from the start, though I find this a bit difficult the more nylon is present in the mixture. If you find that a particular brand/type of string is too thin after pre-stretching, then it’s time to find a thicker string. Or a yoyo with a narrower gap.

As strings fray, they get slippier. I don’t think it is that they get thinner so much as they lose their ability to maintain a high coefficient of friction with the pads due to the fraying. A slippy bind is the primary signal that tells me I need to change strings.

4 Likes

I am noticing I cant just use 1 brand or thickness of string. it really depends on yoyo and what bearing i choose for that yoyo which also contributes to this…

I do wish string stayed as whippy like when new

1 Like

Try Markmont Dragon’s. If you want to make your own run a full trilobal thread. These will play with a ruff texture at 1st but break in smoother. These strings whip so fast I had to slow down and easily pulled off doubles for the 1st time.

2 Likes