Let's talk about dings

Well, in my experience, dinging a YYR even once can induce a vibe/pulse.

1 Like

As will unscrewing it. Your post is irrelevant.

Have you actually experienced that or are you just going by that other store’s warning? Because I’ve owned 4 YYR’s and not one of them vibed after I unscrewed or even changed the bearing on them.

your profile says you’re 48, you act like you’re a quarter of that.

Congratulations you’re better than everyone else. go make yourself a sandwich in celebratory fashion.

4 Likes

I agree with both points, to a degree. I have a case full of yo-yos I don’t worry about dinging, and I have those I want to keep mint. Some are meant to collect, some are meant to be played. I will never play all of my yo-yos, as I have signed ones and so on, so it’s just not going to happen. But, I agree that battle scars and a yo-yo that’s been played, and looks that way, is also a wonderful thing. I like to have my cake and eat it too. I agree with Jrod to the extent that I set aside a bunch of yo-yos that I don’t mind dinging. But, having said that, I will never, ever, purposely damage a yo-yo, or anything I paid for. If it happens due to wear and tear, or an accident, I can appreciate it, and accept it, because the story about how it happened is amusing that way. Battle scars. But, I would never purposely mess up anything I own. I can see it both ways. Great thread topic Jrod!

If I have a Dingo I don’t worry about throwing over cement, and I have 6 other mint ones, there is nothing to ever be upset about in that case. That is what I do, buy more than one of what I really want to play. One to potentially get battle scars, and other collector stuff. I’ve done it with the Dark Magic II, the Genesis, the Catalyst, the Dingo, the Monkey Fist, the Exit 8,…to name a few. Just how I roll.

1 Like

I like to keep my yoyo as nice as possible, but when a yoyo gets it’s first ding I don’t pay as much attention.

My 67g Clash will vibrate after I take it apart a few times without setting the axle manually.
Granted, not enough for me to care about, as I thrash my yoyos anyway(have yet to make a metal yoyo play worse having done it) and vibe doesn’t bother me, but it is present.

This makes me think about what I did…

NH people will get it…

If I bought a new car, and then crashed it, I would mind. Same as with my yoyos. It’s just something I care about. Aesthetics are a large part of yoyos and in my opinion dings arent pleasing to the eye.

Boy, I thought what I said was quite logical. What is not logical?

People were upset about dinging their yo-yos. I too, would be upset if I dinged my $100+ yoyo. So logic says - don’t ding it. I am unclear as to what is confusing here.

That you choose to yoyo on concrete is your business. But getting upset about dinging it on concrete that is easily avoided is also illogical. So, if you do not want dings - and you play on concrete - how can that be anything but stupid? …Sorry.

And if thinking it through told me that a dinged yoyo would be worth less on the resale market than a MINT yoyo; then yes, I am better than everybody else. I played them in a manner that DID NOT RESULT IN DINGS. Therefore, I got more money when I sold them.

Again, what is wrong here? If you don’t want to ding your yoyo - don’t play on hard, rough surfaces. Seems logical to me - but I’m only 48.

Simple for me, I have yoyos I play don’t care if they get dings or not. That way i can learn new tricks and skills. Then there are the rares which I only throw casually when I want to feel special.

Totalartist, for the first time that I ever remember you and I are going to disagree a little bit here.

1. I don’t know about most of you, but if I drop a C note or better on a new throw I can’t afford to buy a second to keep tucked away to preserve it’s virgin purity. And if I spend a large chunk of a week’s wage on a yo-yo you better know I’m going to play it, I can’t afford not to. Now if Jensen Kimmitt signed my NorthStar I probably never would throw it again. I admit that. By in large however, yo-yos are meant to be played, and if you play with them the way they’re meant to be played, well, stuff happens. That’s life.

2. That said, I am practically anal-retentive about my yo-yo collection. I have a Duncan Raptor which I’ve owned for two or three years now which up until last month was in pristine condition. Then, at a park where I was throwing, (over grass), I went to put it away in my case sitting on a picnic table which was sitting on a concrete slab and somehow I lost my grip and dropped it. I had a whole thread expressing the lamenting I went through because of the tiny little dings “Shawn” the yo-yo ended up with from that little mishap. All my throws are still in nearly pristine, out of the box like new condition because I’m so assidious. So maybe we don’t disagree much at all Totalartist because I am super meticulous about keeping my yo-yos unscathed. It’s just that…

3. Doggone it, yo-yos want to be played and played hard. That is what they are made for. Yes yoyomaverick, you want to keep your new car like new for as long as possible. But you wouldn’t park it in the garage under a cover and never drive it. That would be an insult to it’s life’s mission. If I had to spend high dollar on a throw that would experience the life threatening induction of serious vibe or pulse from one little ding I wouldn’t buy it, I be afraid to play with it. And what a terrible waste of a yo-yos potential for brilliance because of vigilant caution.

Let’s get out there and throw and throw with abandon towards the most spectacular combos we can possibly muster. The yo-yo is begging for us to do just that! It is for this very purpose they were created!

Even if everything your saying is 100% true, your still not better than everybody else. I second the celebratory fashion sandwich making.

Oh please, yeah, I am all about trying to be better than everyone else. As noted - I am 48 hardly the age where I need validation from the masses.

Let me turn this around on all the haters.

What is the case to be made for yoyo-ing on concrete? I mean, what is desirable about yoyoing on a surface that can ruin your $100+ throw?

I think that simple question sums it all up. If you can avoid dings why not do so? And if you can avoid dings and you choose not to; then you are ….

No offense Geez but I think what they mean is that they will yoyo anywhere and everywhere they jusy dont care where they yoyo. Most of the guys I know who are serious throwers carry a yoyo everywhere with them and play everywhere whatever the surface is… If they get a ding they just keep playing or file it down. For me I am a little more particular about my throws. I do however throw over any and all surfaces… Just this past Sunday I was walking the streets of Northampton with my good friend Sara throwing around my Cascade!!! I loved it it was liberating. If it was not for watching Jrod walk the dog on the ground outside of A2Z I would have never thrown over the ground but as they say. It is what it is.

1 Like

Of the 100+ yoyos i’ve owned i think i’ve personally been responsible for maybe 3 dings or scuffs total. I understand accidents happen, that ceiling fan that’s lower than you thought, that overzealous trapeze that’s a bit too close to the chair you didn’t notice, these things happen. But some of the damage i’ve seen people do to throws absolutely blows my mind. I remember months ago when Chiefs were new and huge one appeared on the B/S/T not 5 days after it was released just covered in dings and scrapes(of course they still wanted full price for it lol). Sure it might technically play just as well as before, but that kind of abuse to something so expensive just seems crazy to me. My only assumption as to how this happens is mommy’s credit card, age <14, and a chest-height string. Nothing else explains it. That said i do love having a nice beater i can throw in my backpack or pocket without worrying about damage. I think people need to realize there’s a difference between loving yoyo and not caring about damage, and being deliberately careless.

I’m also 48 years old. I too choose to do my best not to ding my yo-yos. The difference between us is I wouldn’t tell someone they were stupid for making a different choice than me. I’d with “who you are”. Nothing more.

5 Likes

I think we could even have a discussion about the efficacy of “yoyos are meant to be played”.

Seems logical. A yoyo is a toy and all toys are necessarily playable. But “meant to be played” implies some sort of intention about the design of a yoyo that I don’t think is common to all yoyos.

The SLCK and DRI YWET’s are pretty good examples. The regular YWET is the purest “player” of the three and includes only features that Anti-Yo judged to be necessary for the performance of the yoyo, as a yoyo. But the SLCK and DRI introduced new features that are actually less functional and less practical than the standard design, but cost more to produce and to buy. I might argue that these models are not “meant to be played” in the manner being discussed in this thread. I think they are meant to be interesting. They’re art imposed on the form of a yoyo.

Does this mean you shouldn’t play them hard? Not at all. You certainly can. But I’m not sure if that’s the intent of the design nor the goal of the likely buyer.

This is for everyone, not just yoyogeezer – inflammatory posts, particularly those where people are called “stupid,” will not be tolerated here. Keep it cool and civil. We want the forum to be a place where everyone knows that they will not be attacked or ridiculed.

This part is for yoyogeezer - you have a history of this sort of thing. Consider this your warning.

This distastefulness aside, let’s carry on with this conversation in a civil fashion.

8 Likes

I love dinging a metal yoyo in front of a beginner jojoer.

The look on their face is always priceless.

On a different note, dings are like that one scar you have on your back from when you fell from that one tree ten years ago.

They are battle marks. They prove you are strong; and that you and your yoyo have been through alot together.

Just my dinged up opinion.