Lets say this happen...

You’re living in a country where people don’t speak English, however, English has always been taught from elementary school.
In a yoyo contest, a player unknowingly use a music with English profanity, and say the judges don’t know about it either, however, you and probably some of the audiences know.
Would you report it to the judges and risk that player to get disqualified, and possibly being hated by others as they think you’re “taking advantage” of the situation to shoot someone down (even though that’s not your intention).
Or else, what will you do?

Judges and/or the hosting officials have to decide over such things. Pointing out something really inappropiate can not be anyhow wrong.

I would definitely tell the judges. If the player truly does not know about the English profanity, then he should be allowed to continue competing. If not, and he realized his song contained English profanity before competing, then he should be disqualified from the competition.

1 Like

Tough call on this one. Its really those in charge that are responsible for detecting and taking action at a contest I feel. Thus other players or audience members are not obligated in any way to report the issue. In terms of ethics however, there is nothing wrong with saying it in quiet to an organizer or official.

As for me I would probably tell the person that it probably shouldn’t be used in competitions due to the profanity in it and then leave it at the competitior’s call as to enter he should be disqualified or not. On my own I would not tell the judges just so that I wouldn’t be a buzzkill.

I don’t really see the point in reporting it. That’s like calling the police on a guy because he is using your pen that he found on the ground. Obviously a super extreme comparison, but there’s absolutely no reason to try and get another competitor DQed unless it is one of those “songs” where every other word is profane. If that were the case, the judges would be made aware of it by someone else, that’s not my responsibility. Reporting that so that you or your friends can place higher is the only reason I could think someone would do this, which would be an extremely scummy move in my opinion.

If the mistake is genuine, than it should not constitute a DQ, only a warning and a mandatory change of song. There should be a pool of generic approved songs for just such an event! just like youtube has free songs to use if the one you want to use is copyrighted and you dont want to have to deal with that crap…

But it really boils down to ethics. Tattling isnt usually looked too highly on. In a compitiion I would imagine that would make a swift enemy.
I would drop a kind word in the ear of the offender and see if they can fix the problem. However I would not go behind his back to the judges. But thats MY morals at play here.

you guys are just dancing around this aren’t you.

first confront the player who used the song ask him how much english he knows and if he knew what the words meant. There is nothing i dislike more then non English speakers using base words from the English language to make themselves look cool or try to make people think they speak English somewhat. If the player knew what he was doing bring tell him he needs to go to the judges and apologize for his mistake in using the song. If he doesn’t just tell the judges what you know about the song and explain about the words. If you do it in an attitude that is more helping then trying to purposely put someone down then you won’t really come off as a tattler.

Tell them that you heard something in his song that didn’t sound right and have the judges play the song over. Then when it gets to the certain part just tell them what it is. If they are decent people they should realize that this cannot be allowed and most likely will notify the player.

ive done this numerous times while gaming. Although it isn’t quite like real life things like this happen all the time.

you just gotta be honest about it and tell the people in charge.

It would help if there was a link to the song.

Nah, this is only a “what if”, though it’s very likely to happen in my country it hasn’t happened (yet), but Murphy’s law says it will happen. Hence why I started this thread.

DARN YOU, MURPHY!

I don’t take profanity as serious as most people I guess because if I heard that I’d just chuckle to myself and go on with my day.

I don’t think profanity and yoyoing go well together in most cases. I know competitions are mostly family oriented, but if I’m the only one in this situation that knows there are bad words being used and I’m not offended and it seems like no one else is reacting negatively towards the song, then we’re good.

I’d just let it go and maybe tell the player so he knows for future reference.

1 Like

Im LOL cause I doubt you wrote “darn”. ahahaaa

no zorro wrote darn… ive never seen him swear… even when he gets ticked off at me and tries to sue me…

umm… who exactly decides that the person using that song knows any english or not??I mean I can pretend I dont know how to speak angrezi kyuni main hindi medium school mein padha hun. Ab mujhe kya malum tha ki gaane mein gaaliyan hain. Mujhe toh bas beat pasand aa gayi

Translation-
how to speak english as I wasn’t taught english that well. Now how will I know that this song contains profanity as I just picked it coz I liked the beat…

As an Englishman, I still find it strange that “the thing that Beavers build” is considered swearing. Over here it’s just a normal day to day word. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure we could use all kinds of real English swear words here Gambit, and not get caught! Or just use rhyming slang…

Anyway Dam isn’t a swear word, unless you’re Barnes Wallis talking to a German…