Why was he disqualified?

Check out this performance. I have no clue why he got disqualified. Clue me in?

Iā€™m pretty sure there was a word that wasnā€™t censored in the song. I couldnā€™t remember if it was CJ Atkinson or Paolo that had an uncensored MFer in the song they used.

1 Like

That causes disqualification? Jeeeeze. White collar rules lol

3 Likes

Contest music canā€™t have profanity, it had cursing, if it does, you are disqualified, music has to be appropriate for all ages, simple as that

4 Likes

Yeah I just think thatā€™s a bit tight though. Rather than disqualify, shouldnā€™t they just negate points?

1 Like

Thatā€™s been the rule always and it makes sense. If itā€™s supposed to be a family friendly contest you canā€™t have language at the contest. If it just gave negative points a lot more people would use songs with language in them because I bet they believed they could make it up in tricks.

3 Likes

If you are trying to spread yoyoing, showing someone on stage throwing to some explicit music will make moms think yoyoing is not exactly the best hobby for her kids to get into. Itā€™s harsh, but it has been a rule forever. Keep it clean.

8 Likes

Makes sense to be honest. Contests are usually in public places too. A lot of people heard it for sure.

Edit: That was a hecka good freestyle too. Any idea what he wouldā€™ve roughly placed if he wasnā€™t DQ?

1 Like

The main factor is the public venue and being an all-ages event. No matter how well you do, a disregard for fellow community members and passers-by deserves a disqualification. In fact, Iā€™m pretty sure most organizers threaten to cut the music and end their performance immediately, but most donā€™t follow up on that and actually do it.

4 Likes

I think I might have heard sh**. It was so quick tho that it was hard to tell. Wouldnā€™t have noticed if it wasnā€™t pointed out.

1 Like

I think Iā€™m deaf. I didnā€™t hear it. ???

1 Like

Amazingly, a music DQ is the Easiest thing to avoid, of ALL things up for pre contest consideration.

Contestants have a Whole year between Cal States Yoyo Contests to figure out what music to use for their freestyle. And if Paulo is like Zorro(canā€™t hear/lol), then that is simple too. Just use the instrumental version of the song or just pick a song that never had any words to it.

525,600 minutes in a year to decide on 2 or 3 minutes of acceptable music. No think tank needed here.

1 tripping on stageā€¦ 2 Yoyo coming apartā€¦ 3 hitting yourself in the face with your Yoyoā€¦ 4 fainting at a Hot outdoor contestā€¦ 5 just totaling messing up every one of your most impressive combosā€¦ 6 they start playing somebody elseā€™s music so you have to stop and start againā€¦ Etc.

And 50 other things you cannot predict. You have 1 year to be ready for a few minutes of ā€˜Showtimeā€™.

Avoid every possible thing you can.

Anything short of doing something right, is doing it wrong.

His freestyle, to me was Awesome!

His Failure was poor planning.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

Remember, rules are nothing new. Boxing, hockey, baseball, football, card games, >insert a 1000 other events that mandate following specific Guidelines.

Yoyo players, may not like the rules at Contests, but that is a personal problem.

Sadly, he found out and wasted a year of practice for a few minutes, down the toilet.

Oh well

6 Likes

And lets be honest, even an edited version of a song with tonnes of swearing thatā€™s written about drugs and sex doesnā€™t really make for family listening. The song he used was ā€œMy 1st Song - Jay Zā€. If you google the lyrics you can see that he was asking for trouble even with a radio edit.

Such a waste. Learn from his example lads, donā€™t take any chances when it comes to your freestyle music.

1 Like

edit: disregard post, I was misinformed. OOOOoopsh :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Europe in general is quite a bit more open to things that arenā€™t ok here in the USA. Just look at what is allowed in media compared to here!

Culture differences aside though, it is definitely not ok to have this sort of content in a public venue as such. The contest was in a shopping center, with many young kids around, and while the music may not be very understandable, it still is something that can be taken as offensive to someone who might catch it. Paolo had poor judgement and wasnā€™t responsible to pick a song that would be free of issue, or take it up with a head of the contest for clarification, and it cost him.

1 Like

Also makes a bit more sense in Europe or Asia where English might not be the predominant languageā€¦

1 Like

EYYC rules state:
ā€œAll music must be considered G-rated (appropriate for all audiences) and shall not contain offensive lyrics including but not limited to: obscenities, ethnic or sexual slurs, violence advocacy, etc. If you are unsure about your music, a judge will be available to listen to your music and make sure it is appropriate. With the concurrence of the Contest Director and the Head Judge, use of inappropriate music by a contestant will result in their disqualification.ā€

1 Like

I never understood the rules of some contests. I mean plenty of contests have rules that state your music has to be G rated but then people get away with breaking this rule all the time. The one time that sticks out most notably in my head is Sebbyā€™s 2011 freestyle. Listen to the first two lines of the song.

1 Like

But that wasnā€™t straight up profane words, it was only suggestive.

1 Like

Plus, even though there are younger kids there, it /is/ a closed event outside of public space so leniency outside of the rules might be a touch higher. I canā€™t speak for how late at night it was either, I know it was after 6, but that by itself is insignificant.

1 Like