Why was he disqualified?

I can’t watch any of these videos!!! It says their blocked in my country… I tried watching Sebbys 2011 and the one on the first post. Oh well.

I agree with the doc…he had a year…when you enter a contest you better know the rules and follow them.

I personally don’t mind swearing or explicit content in songs…(I really only listen to sports radio and audiobooks anyway) but I hate it when it’s played around me by someone else in public. Keep your swearing music out of public contests and places. It’s respect, not everyone wants to hear it.

1 Like

There must have been another reason for the Paulo disqualification, because I heard nothing that stood out as a curse. I listened twice, and couldn’t find it.

This thread is funny, because people are complaining about bad language or content, and then linking the videos with the alleged bad language or content here in the thread.

There are a lot of kids on the forum too. :smiley: I’m an adult, so cursing doesn’t bother me at all. I would agree that there is a time and a place. I think the language edited to pass for radio play is clean enough for a yo-yo contest.

That’s what I heard in the song…it was bleeped out. It passed for this thread, it should have passed for the contest. Same rules here as there I thought. Kids at the contest, and kids on the forum too. :-\

To me, what is actually waaay funny, is that even though Rules have to be followed in any competitive endeavor, that when you back up(logically) for perspective, you identify some outstanding contradictions.

Some of the same children, that should be shielded from foul language, were watching South Park or Playing Grand Theft Auto 5 before they left to attend the Contest.

And the parents? On the drive to the Contest, prolly cussing out others for driving badly… Listening to the kids talk trash in the back seat… Mom telling the kids how dad is always f… Up because he is such an a…e, etc.

Nervous kids cussing at their malfunctioning yoyos. Or Bleeping out loud when they get smacked on a bad bind.

Some kid telling friends, ’ that guy ain’t Sh… I am going to tear him a new a…h… Blah blah blas

…AND THEN, a whole crowd of people, many of whom had just spent the last several hours 'Igniting a Bible into flames with their foul antics, are going to witness one of the very best players in the United States, DQ, because his song contained a word or two, that others should not be subjected to.

From that logical and subjective point of view, it is easier to understand that while rules need to be followed, they are sometimes out of functional alignment.

I really think players should just use songs with NO lyrics, period. That way they can totally avoid a Paulo Foul-o.

And Anybody that follows this board, this thread, that competes; if they have read and understood about Paulo and they get DQ’d in the future, then they are total idiots.

Period

2 Likes

As much as I love the term “Paolo Foulo” I still think “pulling a Jun” was the original and most drastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZzdhElBe44
(Language warning) ^
Player who didn’t know english , but still.

1 Like

Jun f-word LOL

What was the blue and orange yo-yo he was using in his freestyle? Was it a shutter? Also i couldn’t really hear the swears. It seemed like they were cu…t off yo me.

1 Like

There was an unedited f word and s word mixed in with the edited swears.

At what times specifically in the performance did they occur? I’d like to go back and take a third listen.

I don’t think the rule is out of “functional alignment” at all. Just because X% of attendees use and hear worse language than a questionable song doesn’t mean this contest rule doesn’t have a function that aligns with the goals of the contest organizers and many parents sending their kids to the contest. Without the rule, contests would be less enjoyable and family-friendly.

Of course, I get your point about the rule doing and meaning nothing for many of the kids there. Makes sense.

It is out of alignment in the sense that the rule does not, and cannot prevent cursing, especially if the process remains as it is. At best it is a mere deterrent.

If your kid can identify curse words as “bad words,” it means he/she has already heard them, and has identified them as “bad words.” Otherwise, the curse word would blend in with all other words the kid never heard and cannot define. The rule is made to discourage curse words and such, but it absolutely cannot prevent them anyway. So, at every contest, there is the potential for people to hear curses, and every parent in the room has to know that. Curses have been heard at past contests, and no one was caused to die or self destruct because of it. Do you know of anyone who heard curses and stopped going? I don’t. So, life goes on after a few curses it seems.

For example, hypothetically, I sign up for a yo-yo contest with ten friends. We all have one minute of music (explicit) on our ipods. We all get up on stage one by one and the curses start flying. Even after we are all DQed, we are kicked off the premises, or banned from a future contest…too late, the curses were heard by everyone in the audience. Even the 8 year olds heard 10 curses…oh well. Every contest potentially could go the exact same way.

So, the rules do not prevent curses anyway, they are made to discourage them…that is all. That is the only function they can possibly have. Most players will adhere to the rules because they, or their sponsors, paid big money for travel and registration fees, lodging…so on. But, someone else, who lives locally, with nothing to lose, could get on stage, take a loss, and give it a shoulder shrug. Maybe they just want to see the view from the stage, or have a friend snap a photo of them up there (say cheese ;D).

Be aware, that when music is selected by individuals, and not reviewed for cleanliness prior to the contest, anything can happen. No rule will prevent cursing, and your “family friendly” event is never as “family friendly” as you might think. As a parent, you assume that risk when you go to the contest. You may hope not to hear cursing, but it might happen. Scary huh? :smiley:

A rule that says no cursing allowed, cannot prevent it anyway. So, a rule made to discourage cursing, that cannot prevent it…serves what function exactly? I suggest it is merely a deterrent, at best, that depends whether you have a room full of competitors who care. That rule seems a bit flimsy now that I put it that way huh?

Know the rules, follow the rules, and as a parent…just hope for the best. :-\ Good luck with that. They made that rule so that you’d feel it’s “family friendly,” but what really ensures your kid won’t hear cursing at the contest? Nothing.

All that is what yoyodoc is driving at.

I agree with both of yoyodoc’s posts. :wink: First: it’s a rule, follow it. And second: it’s a rule that won’t prevent anyone from hearing or repeating curse words (and worse)… and that they hear and do worse things on the daily.

I don’t think the second precludes the former, though, and I don’t think that’s what yoyodoc was implying either. I took it as an acknowledgment that the rules aren’t necessarily in line with the normal daily behaviour and language of a young person. I could be wrong, but that’s how I took it.

Topic question answered. End of thread?

Thanks Greg! That is exactly what I meant.

The second post simply for augmentation and giving a broader/clearer perspective on the subject.

When I post on this board, it seems that sometimes, certain individuals feel I am telling EVERYBODY something I know and they don’t. < That is a very misguided and groundless assumption.

I am not holding a Bible and preaching from a mountain top. I am primarily presenting material to ‘consider’. A more valid conclusion can often be obtained, by considering more than one view(mine being ‘1’ view).

My input, should elicit one of several reactions: oh, I knew that, wow, I didn’t know that, mmh, I didn’t think of it that way, hey, now I get it, I don’t get it, or that makes sense, etc.

I Never post, thinking I am telling Everybody on this board that I am the only one possessing knowledge.

I really like to think we are all trying to help each other, here. We, including me, should, in theory anyways, get smarter as a Community, if we pay attention to each other as time goes by.

That is why I post. I share a much older persons views, yes… But realize that I been around the block several times and know the road well.

I view myself as a windshield wiper. I like to post up and clean the mud off people’s’ windshields, so they can get a better view of the road ahead.

Thanks again, Greg, your response was Spot on.

1 Like

TotalArtist and GregP, I totally agree that thinking we can guarantee a family-friendly environment is absurd. All rules would fall short of “functional alignment” by that standard. I get your point about how ineffective those rules are.

Yoyodoc, thanks for giving us material to consider. I try to do likewise. My reaction was “I disagree” and I explained. Whether that falls into one the acceptable reactions you listed, I don’t know. I don’t think I accused you of being arrogant in any way. Again, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I am in full agreement, Brian. Not sure if it seemed I was contrary to that. :wink: I don’t think encouraging that sort of environment is a wasted effort.

Haha, I had just removed the part about it being ok to encourage that kind of environment because I know you guys are not saying it is a wasted effort. It’s cool. ;D

True…without the rule at all is total chaos. :smiley:

I’m not as well traveled as some of you, so I don’t know how well players from countries where English is not the primary language would grasp what is deemed a curse word here. A lot of American movies and music are filled with so many “bad” words spoken so frequently in our art, that it may be difficult for an international player to discern what specific words to watch out for. It might be easy for people to make a mistake. I just want to clarify that DQs are often not out of defiance or carelessness, just some players not knowing what to look for to begin with. I copied this from the CA contest site:

“Music must not contain any vulgar, derogatory, or sexual language.”

^ I think we’d all interpret that differently. :wink:

I can see why he was DQ but wow that was pretty awesome. He should have just been penalized. He did amazing though.

Please never censor music as it is a right we have. And YOUR the reason you find it offensive. Why Do you get hurt by a work. Once you censor art we no long have freedom.