Length of spin time whilst completing combos

Although if you clock his worlds I beg he’s at 2 minutes - in rewind they say “his 1 throw”

1 Like

Full frontal, lol.

2 Likes

Semis are 90 seconds so that’s how long it was. And I mentioned Takeshi specifically because of that freestyle.

But as you can see, his tricks in that freestyle were extremely technical and difficult, but they werent really extreme. If he was doing tricks like Ryuichi Nakamura or Yuki Nishisako he definitely wouldn’t be able to last that long on one throw.

Not to take anything away from him, it’s still insanely difficult, it’s never been done before, and he basically did it just to flex :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Can’t take from ™ -

I want you to remember this post. Not for what we are talking about but because I’m saying it now-

Andy brass tacks, regardless the trick it’s the cleanliness of the execution that preserve long duration spins.

Regardless if their floppin or 360 Eli, or lvl 100 Gyrados, he didn’t even F with horizontals. Lol

I know it wasn’t personal… but

But takeshi will win worlds 1A this year.

Finger guns pew pew

2 Likes

Cleanliness does determine how much spin time you get and that’s how he even got 90 seconds in the first place but that’s not the only thing that matters.

Tricks where the yoyo is in the air and you’re just whipping and slacking the string around playing with the string and not the yoyo, those tricks are obviously going to have longer spin time than tricks where the yoyo is constantly sliding across the string or doing multiple string layers and wraps.

Takeshi wasn’t just doing the former but if he was doing intensive speed combos and other extreme tricks he wouldn’t have been able to one throw it.

Anyway I think Takeshi got robbed of worlds twice already. I’ll pull the quote from SF again. “No matter who wins, Takeshi was the best player at this event.”

4 Likes

Which raises the question in my mind, again, where the fault lies in the contest scoring. Does it lay with the judges who mis-scored Takeshi’s (or Evan’s) performance? Or does it lay with the scoring system itself which rewards the “wrong” things; things that Evan did more than Takeshi? Or is it a combination of both?

I mean, you can’t claim the wrong person won a contest without also explaining the flaw in the system that allowed that to happen. Otherwise it just sounds like sour grapes and not a legitimate complaint.

4 Likes

Evan won because he had much higher scores in space use, showmanship, and choreography, which have always been Takeshis weak points. Takeshis always relied on brutal technicality and not really putting on much of a “show” to get his points. Evan had a slightly higher technical evaluation score but takeshi had higher scores in execution, control, trick diversity, and construction. Similar thing happened when Gentry beat him out for 1st a few years back.

I wish Takeshi had a worlds title but in the current judging format it makes sense Evan and Gentry scored higher, they are far bigger showmans. Takeshi just says “I don’t need that extra flare to dominate, I just need one throw” :joy:

2 Likes

So it is the “judging format”, which I informally call the “scoring system”, that wrongly handed the title to Evan. Would lowering the scoring value of showmanship constitute an improvement to the system?

Out of curiosity, how is the scoring system decided upon? Who determines what the scoring categories are and how they are weighted? Who determines what scores a click and what doesn’t? Is there some international committee that makes these decisions? How often do they revisit their decisions and make changes to the scoring system? And what influences their decisions?

1 Like

It’s all an opinion thing, I don’t think it’s wrong that Evan won, he worked really hard for it. If they decreased perfomance evals and takeshi won, people would say Evan or Gentry deserved the win and that performance evals aren’t worth enough. As a matter of fact people still say that now. People who complain about players being “hard to follow” or “too fast” or whatever are basically saying tech evals are worth too much

3 Likes

Okay. I guess I’m trying to reconcile “I think Takeshi got robbed of worlds” with “I don’t think it’s wrong that Evan won”. These two statements/sentiments seem contradictory to me.

3 Likes

Dude - so you’re saying and I quote :joy: mickeys Anglam MGS in the hands of takeshi would spin another 30 seconds

Also remember the scoring this year implemented a new element by which players are judged by high is “risk” - even though takeshi’s tricks have 6-7 steps the risk factor is exponential.

2 Likes

Well I cleaned my bearings for the first time ever this weekend… seemed to definitely reduce the noise in some of them… don’t know if its improved the spin time though (also put my center track bearing on my Edge).

1 Like

A freshly cleaned bearing will have the longest spin times, more so than a dirty or lubed bearing. However, the difference is often marginal.

1 Like