Compared to YouTube videos

For some reason, Ive noticed that on YouTube channels such as the brandon vu, andre on yoyoexpert, throws n brews and others, my yoyos spins for a fraction of the time that theirs do. I figured it was me, but even throwing hard and straight my best spin time at a dead spin is 35 seconds. It’s worse when I try to get through tricks. What am I doing wrong?

3 Likes

Have you cleaned your bearing recently? Because most of the time having a dirty bearing will cause short spin times. Also what type of yoyos is it? Because sometimes some other yoyos are more designed for long spin times more so than others.

2 Likes

I’m thinking it has to be me, all my throws came from off of BST, and they all dont spin for that long. But, it’s a marco, turntable 1.0, horizon ultra, benchmark O. I was told that the few I got from the same person said he hadn’t lubed the bearing or did any maintenance other than string, because he liked them dry.

1 Like

Okay it’s probably your sleeper technique no big deal. When trying to throw your sleeper try and watch your wrist because many times you’ll slightly tilt the yoyo lowering the sleep time. Also feel free to throw the yoyo harder than you usually would as well because that helps increase spin time too. Also when yoyoing pay attention to string accuracy! Having bad accuracy also slows down spin time as well!

4 Likes

How hard should I throw? I am already almost baseballing it. Lol

1 Like

Throwing straight is probably more important than throwing hard. Once you learn to throw straight consistently, then you can work on throwing hard.

As for overall spin time, the people you are referring to probably use clean dry bearings or at least very lightly lubed bearings.

5 Likes

What do you mean by baseballing it? Like throwing the yoyo like a base ball? Because if that’s the case it should be more like making a muscle and tossing it down in stead of like a ball.

2 Likes

length of the string also matters. longer string, longer spin time.

2 Likes

I am doing the muscle technique and all, I meant baseballing it as in how hard I’ve tried throwing it down.

1 Like

String on my throws are around 3 1/2 feet

1 Like

This right here. When I started I thought I had to throw it as hard as I possibly can, but that just makes your throw sloppy. A good, straight throw is going to spin longer because you a) reduce wobble and b) stay on plane better.

2 Likes

Yes! That Dark Magic @AndreBoulay uses probably keeps spinning for a few days after he puts it in a drawer. During his tutorials I keep expecting him to throw a sleeper, make a sandwich, casually eat it, then continue with that blasted Dark Magic still spinning enough to do a Death Ball Attack Alpine Paratrooper. I think they used CGI to camoflauge the extension cord attached to his electric Dark Magic.

1 Like

I think you mean Dark Magic (II).

3 Likes

Dark Magic. Ooops. Corrected! Andre can make a yoyo spin just by looking at it…at least that’s what I heard.

2 Likes

True story! :wink:

3 Likes

If you care to share a video of you throwing a trick here I could totally give some guidance on increasing spin time.

Also - important to note - it is all about ‘snapping’ the wrist and ‘stopping’ the arm suddenly when throwing. The better you snap/stop the wrist the faster it will spin when it hits the string. So not completely how ‘hard’ you throw - combination… You can throw hard but if you follow through on the throw too much it loses some of that power.

6 Likes

@AndreBoulay Hi. Since that post I have learned a great deal and my improved throw has given me much greater spin time - on responsive as well as unresponsive. I get better spin time with perfectly straight throws than just hard throws. Thank you for the comment. Every day is an adventure with yoyos!

4 Likes

That is so awesome to read! Fast progress. Great job! What are you throwing?

2 Likes

Current rotation all fitted with with koncave unresponsive bearings: YYF Sage, Replay, Replay Pro, Horizon Ultra, MYY: M002, Locus. I love responsive but unresponsive gets the most play. I’m liking metals alot but there’s something so buttery-smooth about the Sage that I love.

1 Like

I’m throwing straight and hard with a sudden snap motion at the end of my throw, I’m noticing more spin time and I’ve figured how to turn the yoyo mid trick. I can now do magic drop and almost can do the matrix.

4 Likes