Fine Tuning Throw - Tips?

Hello all :slight_smile:

I was wondering if you guys had any tips for improving my throw so that my yoyo spins for longer? To clarify, I don’t exactly struggle with spin time; at my current level I can cycle through rewind, black hops, kwijibo, skin the gerbil, esíčka and matrix in random order, and have -just enough- left to bind. I think that’s pretty decent, but I’d love it if I had more spin left for a more satisfactory bind. So what I’m looking for, are specific tips on how to really push up spin times.

Thanks for any tips! ;D

a great way is to lengthen your string a bit. if, however, you don’t prefer that then you can (if they are pretty worn out) replace your response (make sure you get the right kind though XD been there done that), you can also put in a new/recently cleaned bearing :slight_smile:

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It comes with practice actually. The yoyo slowing down too much could be a sign that you don’t do the tricks clean enough and the string keeps rubbing the yoyo body. Practice with high walled yoyos like freehand zero for quite some time, then switch to your usual throw.
See the difference.

1 Like
  1. Use low walled yoyo.
  2. Medium length string to improve control while still giving enough power in the throw.
  3. Old pads could result in a throw that gives your finger a jerk. These throws only get a little spin time. If you have this problem, put new pads in.
1 Like

This

Throw harder. Practice.

You may have already tried this, but make sure to use power from both your arm and wrist and not just one of them.

1 Like

Thanks for the various tips guys! I think I should’ve made myself a tad clearer at the beginning - I know very well that with more practice my skills will improve (I’ve noticed a trend of low tolerance for those who ask advice on response/bearings with the goal of better binds/spin times).

I was mainly looking for tips on throw technique; I’ve experimented with how much I flick my wrist, how much I move my biceps/forearms, angle of release etc, and wanted insight on what you guys felt worked for you, so that I could improve faster. Why reinvent the wheel when I can stand on the shoulders of those who’ve been there and done that? :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, @rizki_yoist’s suggestion of practising with high-walled yoyos was great! I’m reluctant to break my self-imposed limit of two throws (till I’m significantly better), but I might just get a cheap ONE/FHZ to work on.

The other tips for various string length/pad adjustments have been duly noted too, and with many thanks ;D but for now my focus is on experimenting and fine-tuning technique.

Thanks again to everyone for offering advice without sarcasm or impatience!

If you can do all those tricks in one throw, you’re doing fine.

To some spectators (like me), it tires the brain to watch too many elements in a row. Bind and re-throw gives not only the yoyoer a “breath”, but also the audience. With music, pauses and breaths are just as important as notes. Same thing with yoyo.

In other words, if you can go through all those in one throw, I wouldn’t really bother focusing on more spin time. It will come naturally over time. No need to train it when you’re already doing just fine.

1 Like

Thanks, Greg! That never really occurred to me. Always appreciate your insight. ^^

1 Like

If you are doing all those tricks consecutively it seems you already have a pretty good spin time.
But if your looking to lengthen your combos or strengthen your spin for a better bind you could always throw a regeneration in there :wink:

With the exception of skin the gerbil, the rest of those tricks don’t really involve multiple layers of string. With that in mind, I’m thinking combos with tricks that utilise more string layers will render my current spin times inadequate.

Practicing on a high walled yoyo should help though, and it is indeed time I stop avoiding regens!