Legendary Terrarian: More like, pretty dang good Terrarian

Before I start, I just want to thank Terraria for getting me into this hobby, as this may or may not have been the reason I made this my first high-performance yo. Although I’ve only been training for competitive yoyo for just under 3 months now I have been aware of the ultra-basics like ye olde brain twister and zipper for a couple of years before that, and this was the yoyo I hit those with. Back then this yoyo was THE yoyo.

Now that I have a bit of experience under my belt, a massively larger trick repertoire (I mean I’m far from some of the people on this forum but I would at least say I know what I’m doing), and some more yoyos I can say I have a bit more perspective on whether this yoyo truly counts as Legendary or not.

The answer, in my opinion? No. But only missing the mark by a very narrow margin. This thing definitely rocks. This yoyo is very well-balanced for the most part in performance, boasting high speed and control in particular. Lacks any sort of rim-weighting feel that some people dislike, or if it does I’m willing to admit that I may not have the authority and experience to fully have the feel for that sort of thing yet. However, what this yoyo lacks is power and stability. I realize that as a monometal it is harder to create the proper balance that bimetals have the natural advantage of, but that is where rim-weight actually can be a boon instead of a burden.

Either way, I like this yoyo, and I have a lot to thank it for. Just can’t beat out the Hydrogen Crash.

Ben’s Alphabetacular Yoyo rating: B+ for “Be positive there are far worse yoyo options out there.” This is ONLY with regard to the standard side effects installed. With ultralights installed it moves up to S- or A+ as it gets a more balanced, weighted feel to it.

7 Likes

After throwing both for a while, I think I like the original one slightly more. The Legendary Terrarian definitely performs better, but it has always felt a bit lukewarm, and it lost the fun charm the original one has.

6 Likes

I only have the Legendary so I have nothing to compare it to but I agree with the lukewarm bit

1 Like

You try changing the bearing and/or side effects yet?

2 Likes

I use the bearing that came with my YYR Valkyrie with it and it still likes to wobble. Side effects I have yet to change seeing as how I only have those ones

1 Like

Thats a bummer youre not enjoying the Legendary Terrarian as much as you’d hoped. LT is one of my favorite One Drops, especially playing with different side effects. Something about the LT make the different SE’s really standout. Slow and floaty with flatcaps, powerful and stable with ultralites, and it is super agile with the spikes it comes with. I prefer caps or ul’s personally.

5 Likes

Really? Which SE adds rim-weight to the yo-yo?

“what this yoyo lacks is power and stability”

Now chime in and tell us that what ever the yo-yo lacks in the characteristics that actually matter; it is “fun”, “laid-back” and/or “chill”.

… Lol

2 Likes

I like the LT, I just think that it’s hard to compare against my favorite yo. I do need to get more side effects to try them out

None add rim weight, but reducing center weight increases the ratio of rim weight to center weight.

7 Likes

7cgtda

6 Likes

It is amazing how quickly ANY criticism of One Drop is met with almost automatic resistance and push back; usually by the same voices. Does a bulletin go out on an Instagram channel to alert the fan-boyz to swarm? Lol.

I can understand that from a certain perspective, there are characteristics that matter more than whether a yoyo is fun to play with.

OTOH, it seems pretty obvious that most characteristics are balanced against all others, so if spin time or stability are not priorities, the most competition focused bimetal one can obtain is not always the most logical choice.

2 Likes

I don’t really care about buying ‘fun’ yoyos anymore. I want performance. Mostly because performance yoyos are perhaps more fun in the end when you’re trying to learn complex tricks.

4 Likes

This is actually not a logical argument. While the ratio may be different; the rim-weight is the same.

1 Like

ok bud lol

2 Likes

I almost didn’t post this earlier, but I have to say I did this exact change with a LT earlier and was surprised to find it noticeable more stable.

1 Like

Sorry; I should have been more clear.

While I agree that different SE’s can affect the “feel” of the yo-yo by changing the ratio of center weight and rim-weight; I have not noticed that the change in SE center-weight affects the yo-yo’s performance in any meaningful way.

2 Likes

In most SE yoyos i dont notice too much difference myself, especially in the panorama/diorama. we’re only ever talking about a few percentage points of difference going from 2.7g to about 7g with some of the brass SE.

something about the LT really brings out the differences in side effects.

I will say though, axial stability of a throw will be increased with lower % of centerweight, which will result in longer spins because the yoyo is more stable on plane. obviously you could add a weight ring to the rims to get even more dramatic effects than side effects can provide.

longer spins and higher stability are typically equated to performance.

4 Likes

… But at the cost of spin-time due to decreased overall mass. That is the fallacy. Any changes to the ratio is simply a new set of trade-offs.

I’ll start with saying that I love onedrop yoyos. I live in Oregon and am a union man. So not only made in the USA but made in Oregon! I am a firm believer that if you are afraid to unscrew a yoyo it is not a good yoyo. I haven’t had the legendary terrarian. I did have the standard terrarian and it is the only onedrop I’ve had that I got rid of. Organic and H are the shape I most prefer. So I don’t know if it was the shape, the instability or the spin time but it only took about an hour to decide it wasn’t for me.

3 Likes