Legendary Terrarian: More like, pretty dang good Terrarian

Yeah I sold mine… much better one drops out there… never tried the original… this one lacked spin time if I remember correctly

1 Like

It comes down to personal preference.

I prefer the LT over the Terrarian in all but one way… the regular Terrarian took the Saturday Market in such a stunning way compared to the LT in 7075.

Terrarian.

8 Likes

No, it’s true, and a valid arguement. The ratio between center and rimweight does get changed if you add or take away centerweight. The key word here is ratio.

If you have 20 grams of rim weight, and 10 grams of center weight, it’s a 2:1 ratio

If you have 20 grams of rim weight and 15 grams of center weight, it’s a 4:3 ratio

The ratio can change performance :man_shrugging:

You can see a change in performance with SE’s, whether it’s because the included set of SE’s wasn’t optimized properly for performance, or because the included set of SE’s was perfectly optimized properly for performance, and you swapped them out for less optimized performance.

Not that OneDrop generally optimizes their yoyos for performance… per se lol. But performance can be tuned with SE.

Anyways, on topic, the Terrarian was fun when I had it, sometimes I miss it, sometimes I wonder if it’s just nostalgia from playing Terraria as a kid and wanting Terraria merch

6 Likes

Rotational inertia has to do with the distribution of mass from the axis of rotaion. So removing mass from close to the axis would have a mathematical value, but like you mentioned later, it likely wouldn’t have any meaningful difference.

2 Likes

Since a lot of people find that the LT lacks spin power, it could be that a slight improvement is more easily perceived. As in, it’s going to be noticeable even on shorter combos vs. adding spin time to a yoyo that already delivers ample spin for the average person.

2 Likes

I think we have to take in account that the OP favourite yoyo is a very performing one from C3 which I am sad to say but hardly any One drop can compare in terms of performance, C3 basically seems design his products following performance and modern playing.
I do have a Terrarian and several One drop yoyos which I love and love to play but for sure is not my first choice when I want to play very technical (maybe except the Free solo), I think that’s part of the reaction from Ben and even less if his Terrarian has the original OD bearing which can be smooth as you want but it is also outdated.

There isn’t anything bad about the Terrarian in fact I do love it and with the Free Solo and the Aitch is some of my favourite from the brand but maybe (and I say maybe) Brandon was expecting much more in terms of performance, so I can understand if he isn’t totally into it.

4 Likes

Hey somebody actually read my post lolol

1 Like

Tbh this is my approach to yoyoing which is more based on tricks than collection.
There is an infinite debate about this topic but for me a fun yoyo is a yoyo that I do not have to bind every 3 seconds, or get unbalanced or lose power if I push it a bit too much or get messed up if I throw horizontally, with some “fun” yoyos it feels like you over power them so much and the “tool” is not able to keep up with your skills.

I think it does depend of the style of playing and preferences, but at least in my case a powerful yoyo is a much more fun yoyo to use

2 Likes

They don’t call it “Legendary” for nothing…

I feel like it’s “legendary-ness” comes more from how it feels rather than how it performs (although, it’s certainly no slouch). Out of my handful of One Drops, I gravitate toward this one more often, mainly because it’s more of a casual, flowy, fun throw to me. It’s the one I’ll pick up on a Friday night when I’m feeling extra relaxed and want something I can get into a groove with. Comparing the Legendary Terrarian to a performance bimetal is like comparing apples to oranges. They’re just not designed with the same vision in mind.

All that to say, I really love this yoyo and I’m glad you like it too :grin:

8 Likes

I will happily admit that there is a vast difference between my Hydrogen Crash and the LT. I can totally see why others can dig it because it is just a lot of fun. Even though it isn’t my go-to anymore I’ll still have a soft spot for it.

2 Likes

Okay, this thread made me pull out my legendary terrarian and start tinkering with it some more. I can safely say that with ultralights installed, I’m now a fan. I would encourage everyone to try ultralights or domes if you have them. With spikes to me it feels a bit too heavy, gives me the vibes that the original downbeat does, the yoyo is good there’s just a bit too much weight, but with ultralights it becomes more nimble while still retaining some of the stability that the legendary terrarian has over the original, I was definitely surprised with the difference.

6 Likes

I swap between UL’s with a concave bearing or flat caps with a OD flat bearing installed depending on my mood. I generally prefer the flats setup since it suits my play style, but the UL/concave combo really squeezes the agility and performance out of it.

1 Like

You are becoming one of us.

LoL is just the beginning, soon you will knee for the one drop and finally understand what is yoyo all about.

don’t be fooled, hes just trying to prompt you to agree with him!

1 Like

Owwww. That’s “lol”, hmmm? He is just trying to buy my sympathy? Sneaky geezer.

1 Like

its one of the most well known usages of the phrase “lol”

2 Likes

I’m messing around. The worst thing is admitting that I enjoy yoyogeezer comments. It makes me rethink some standards, it’s good to have a “detractor” among us, he makes the spin time longer in terms of discussion and despite his (sometimes) harsh comments, it makes sense in a way or another.
Peace.

3 Likes

i’m also messing around by throwing back to the way he responded to me using “lol” in a post a while back

2 Likes

they have good perspectives about a lot of things, but their very loud disdain for one drop (and apparently me saying lol) is funny to me

3 Likes

hey ben, if you want some ultralites to try out in the LT i have an extra set of clear ones i’d be happy to send you.

dm me your address and i’ll ship them to you in a padded envelope

2 Likes