'Legal' Magic Drop

Like most people, I had problems learning Magic Drop. Watching the MFD tutorial was the turning point for me - specifically the Magic Drop to Shockwave tutorial - (http://www.monkeyfinger.ca/page12/page13/complicated.html)

My question is this:
Is it ‘legal’ - contest wise - to make that move with your non throw hand ring finger? It creates the perfect separation and tension to land the yoyo just right and make the string reject. When I first saw it, my palm instantly smacked my forehead… perfect adjustment… thank you Jeremy!

Part of me doesn’t care, because it works 95% of the time and I can now work on a bunch of tricks that use Magic Drop, but there’s another part of me that wants to know if making that move would be counted against you somehow.

I want to say those Monkey Finger tutorials are awesome… not trying to be critical of them at all. Just wondering about that aspect of the trick.

pacer

That’s actually a huge help for me, that’s my biggest problem with magic drop right now. I don’t see how it would be counted against you, every trick has little variations of doing it.

Just do it fast enough so no one notices.

You come to any of the canadian contests and its fine. No idea about anyone else’s, but I imagine there wouldn’t be a problem with it.
And thanks for the compliments, I’m glad the tutorials are helping.

The only time you have to stick to prescribed execution of a trick is for trick ladder. Is anything Magic Drop-based even on the trick ladder?

That’s what I am worried about. Kamikaze (which has a Magic Drop) is on the sports ladder at WYYC and I will be competing in it this year. Would they count the trick as a miss if I did the Magic Drop with help from my NTH ring finger?

I highly doubt it.

Email someone in charge and ask, or ask when you get there. I agree though, it’s highly unlikely