KonKave Ceramic Bearing?

actually, for suicides, rubbing against the wall creates string drag, which closes the loop more. Hence the new common low walled yoyos like the h-shapes, v-shapes, and v/h-shape hybrids. Highwalls actually make suicides tougher

Well whatever, all I know is it doesnā€™t spin at all. Its Completely frozen up. Itā€™s ruined.

How did you go about cleaning your bearing? Maybe it just needs some more attention?

Nah its definetely toast, I cut open the bearing out of curiosity and the balls have flat spots on them and are no longer round, AND there is residue from the dissolved ceramic particles. The solvent ate them away like acid. I used the same procedure Iā€™ve used a million times before and Iā€™ve used naphtha (a.k.a. lighter fluid.) in many other things as a cleaning agent for high friction applications. Iā€™am not inexperienced, and I KNOW that it wasnā€™t user errorā€¦ The bearing.wasnā€™t really even that dirty. It simply is not compatible with ceramic.
It erodes it, FAST. I even did a test with one of my ceramic skateboard bearings (Bones swiss ceramics) and it did the same thing. So my conclusion is to find some other cleaning agent for ceramics. Iā€™m doing research to find out what would be best. Lesson learned though, 30 dollars is a pretty expensive lesson. And if anybody wants to say Iā€™m doing it wrong, you can go buy a ceramic KK and clean it with lighter fluid and watch your 30$ go spinning down the toilet. Maybe ill try mineral spirits next time. Maybe there is some extra ingredient that cause that reaction. I donā€™t know. What I do know is: it was my bearing, I cleaned it with lighter fluid, and now it is ruined.
Thank you for the thought tho Chris I really do appreciate it.

Youā€™re welcome. I try to help whenever I can.

But, if youā€™re in need of replacement bearings, I gotta say I really like the Terrapin X Bearings. Once I get all my new goodies in, Iā€™m gonna make sure quite a few of them get ā€œproper bearingsā€. Iā€™m not sold on the whole ceramic thing. The Terrapin X prices are competitive with anything out there, sometimes beating stuff.

Iā€™m new but Iā€™m already developing preferences.

Yeah I have heard that those are really good from a lot of people. Where can I get them and how much? (personally Iā€™ve been partial to OD ten balls since I got my first OD throw) I would like to try one though.

I canā€™t compare to a OD 10-ball yet because I donā€™t think I have one in my Code1.

Hit Ebay, put in Terrapin X. That will get you there. That guy is also on this and other forums, responds fast, super nice and an overall decent guy. He even posted in this thread.

@Nicholi
how long are you keeping the bearing in your lighter fluid? because generally ceramic is almost entirely immune to corrosion.

Not that long. I usually donā€™t even fully submerged them. Sometimes depending on how dirty they are. I usually just kinda spray them. But I mean cmon how can you mess it up? Lol. I guess ill try mineral spirits next time.

uhhh myself. I cleaned my kk ceramic myself. Sorry that I havenā€™t kept tabs on this thread but my story remains the same. I cleaned it and now it doesnā€™t spin at all. I have cleaned many bearings and it is not my error. I have talked with nicholi some and he has explaned it throughly enough.

Yeah, someoneā€™s got my back! Thanks slade.

Hmmm, I really donā€™t understand this. Someone must be defining ceramic differently than what I know about it. It does not break down from simple solvents.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s what I thought too. Given the properties of real ceramic you wouldnā€™t think that would happen. Someone has a different definition I guess. Or they arenā€™t Made of 100% ceramic with ZERO adulterants

What we have here are two hybrid ceramic bearings, The smaller D size has 9 Si3N4, silicon nitride, (black) ceramic balls. The larger C size with 8 ZrO2, zirconium dioxide, (white) ceramic balls. Both have been soaking in lighter fluid over 20 hours.
They are both in perfect condition.
I use very high quality bearings and the ceramic KK is an industry standard U-groove track bearing used in many hazardous commercial applications.
I know of no chemical that will ā€œmeltā€ ceramic. Perhaps muriatic acid would etch it.

I got the lighter fluid just to do this, who has a Zippo these days, though I knew what the results would beā€¦

4 Likes

Nice example. I knew youā€™d do something.

Iā€™m wondering what brand of bearing those two used where the cleaning solution ate the ceramic. Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s a cheap ceramic(low quality, inferior materials).

Or, solve your problem and just buy Terrapin X bearings. I have. I like it.

(note, Iā€™m not a paid spokesperson for Terrapin X, I just use them and really like them and am going to be buying quite a few more soon)

Hmmā€¦ Well Im over it. I know what happened to my ceramic KK, I wasnā€™t hallucinating. Maybe me and slade got lemonsā€¦ Or a bad batch.

Well I noticed when I put them in lighter fluid they slowed down a bit but when I cleanded them in a pure solvent they were fineā€¦

@studio42 I think that I saw a post of yours or something and I bought a terrapin x wing bearing and I canā€™t wait for it.

I was using a Ceramic dif-e-yo kk bearing and that same lighter fluid in the picture above that fjh123 used so, same cenario and diffrent results. My technique is not flawedā€¦maby nicholi was right and we both got lemons, but I donā€™t use kkā€™s anymore so Iā€™m not bummed.

For a bearing recommendation, Iā€™dā€¦ oh dang! I havenā€™t bought a fancy bearing in 4 years.

As for cleaning recommendations, Iā€™d recommendā€¦ oh dang! I havenā€™t cleaned a bearing in 3 years (and they work just fine).

As for suicides, unless youā€™re throwing a Sleeper and turning your body, a higher wall + flat bearing WILL help keep the loop open to a slight degree. Itā€™s a simple equation. Too many people these days just never learn a Breakaway (and then wonder why they have trouble with rejections).

Well if youā€™re happy with ā€œjust fineā€ OK
There is no such thing as too much spin timeā€¦