Kitty strings are overrated?

• Kitty strings are good… but over hyped
  • Kitty strings are ABSOLUTE TRASH
  • Kitty strings are AWESOME

0 voters

1 Like

Needs an option in between good and trash. I don’t think most people really “hype” them. Everyone seems to acknowledge they are just ok but they use them because they are inexpensive and ubiquitous

4 Likes

Kitty String is one of the best in terms of providing a ‘consistent’ experience that is high quality and affordable. It’s hard to find both ‘consistent’ and ‘affordable’ together in many cases. Many of the professionals I know go to Kitty String because it is the trusted system (not to mention they have really vetted out the different types they make, etc). Definitely one of the best in the industry. :blush:

8 Likes

I’m still going with my “Kitty is the McDonalds of string” comparison :wink:

And I like McDonalds! Not all the time, but sometimes! You always know exactly what you’re going to get there, no matter where you are in the world, right…?

7 Likes

Wow, that description of kitty string was spot on :ok_hand:

1 Like

It seems to me that Kitty occupies a vital place in the yoyo ecosystem. I feel it is crucial to have a string brand that, while perhaps not exciting or “cutting edge” in terms of performance or durability, is consistent, affordable, and widely available. It is a perfectly good product you can count on, and that is very important to the health of the hobby/sport.

3 Likes

Its bulk string, so not really expecting it to be amazing. Its great for the price, but I wouldn’t say it’s overhyped, amazing, or pure crap; just bulk string. It is what it is.

3 Likes

They’re okay, nothing to write home about. I would never buy Kitty, unless I bought a certain yo-yo that came already strung up with Kitty

2 Likes

I detect an intriguing parallel between yoyo strings and guitar strings, in that they both have the power to provoke strong corksniffing instincts in players.

5 Likes

I very much do not like most kitty ive tried, but that doesnt mean I find them to be trash. If anything, I am thankful for them, as they give me a basis of comparison, a benchmark to refer to. And while i really do not like the way the feel, or play, (at least their polys) I can see why they are so popular.

Just like with music, being popular, doesnt make it good.

I didn’t vote, cause none seemed to apply. Im in between garbage, and good but over hyped

4 Likes

Honestly, if YYE made a thick version of their string I would use that over kitty to save the $5.

Surprised Andre and Garrett really give it high praise when their own string is almost on par for 2/3rds of the price, but I guess they kind of have too haha

2 Likes

Not true…ever eat McDonald’s overseas? Had McD’s in Germany and Holland, was far better tasting and much higher quality beef than what’s served/sold here in the states. Sorry should have quoted dude above.

3 Likes

I used to use it for 4a. Used r2FG for 1a. Now I pretty much exclusivly use MFD Vines bulk string. Way better quality than Kitty, not too much more expensive.

2 Likes

I literally only tried 1 string from Kitty and it was a phat. I thought it was amazing but didnt feel like I would want to play with it on a regular. I didn’t pay for it to say anything on pricing and how i feel about it. Also I never checked it out to see it’s pricing.

1 Like

I always recommend our contest string to people starting out. You don’t really need anything special to learn on and it’s a pretty nice string for the price. As they start to get more into yo-yos and develop certain preferences then I typically recommend Kitty String because there are so many different options at a low price. I personally like Nylon 1.5 and Fat Kitty String a lot, but I still use our Contest String all the time too.

A fatter version of our contest string isn’t a bad idea though!

7 Likes

Just not enough kitty in the darn string to please me. Thats just me.

1 Like
4 Likes

That is actually really amazing

2 Likes

I love neon yellow nylon Kitty String. I tend to go through string quickly and throw in a cheaper brand string every couple strings because I have so many strings sent free with orders as promos and sometimes I love them for the first hour and then they get funked up pretty quickly. I love the feel of Duncan 100% cotton or 50/50 but they do not last. I have a pack of Snake Bite I haven’t used yet. I have never tried really high end string yet. Any recommendations? DM me!

1 Like

I’ve never tried them. I would love to test some out some day.

2 Likes