Kevlar strings

has anybody ever used them before and if so could u give me a bit more information on them

In my opinion they are horrible. I just don’t like the way they feel. I don’t like how fast they whip. I don’t like the way the know loosens on my finger. I’ll stick with boutique strings and stock YYE strings. Stock YYE strings are my favorite anyway.

2 Likes

Never played Kevlar, but I agree with icthus. After two years of throwing and trying many types of string, my last order included 100 YYE poly’s. I don’t need anything else.

well i guess i should have got some revews on them before i decided to buy them

Only you can decide what is good for you. I plan on buying some to figure out if I like them or not

3 Likes

well said!

I like Kevlar strings for some of the very reasons that Ichtus cites as reasons to dislike them. When I use Poly - the knot always wants to spin around my finger as the yoyo goes around. I HATE that. Kevlar has nice friction with itself - it almost never slips on my finger.

The biggest advantage, however, is durability. If you travel, or throw at work Kevlar can be MUCH better for your career than the occasional broken string resulting in real damage to person or things. If you travel - take one extra instead of ten or so regular ones. They almost never wear out and can be washed in the machine (put them in pants pocket) when they get dirty.

I don not use them at home on my daily throws - but due to its utility I find Kevlar string has its place.

1 Like

since were on the topic, can you buy kevlar thread? i have seen string available, but spinning my own offers better customization for me…

Yea you can, do a quick google search for the threadexchange. They offer tons of different sizes of Kevlar string. I also twist my own string but I’ve yet to pull the trigger on a $30spool of Kevlar. Just a bit to pricey for something I can’t guarantee I’ll use.

I tried kevlar … kitty … chaos… and my favorite is Toxic Strings (Mark Mont Dragon)

I have them too I agree.

Try all kinds of string and find out what works best for you. I would say buy a set and try them. If you don’t like them it’s only 10$ not too bad. If you do like them order more.

Twisted stringz whipz all the way

50/50 cotton polly for me. Don’t really care where it’s from or who makes it.

I actually own Kevlar string and it’s amazing. I really don’t notice any of the problems that Icthus stated but to me Kevlar string is basically normal string that lasts forever. Just throw them in the washer inside your jeans if you think they are starting to feel gross or looks dirty.

thanks for the imput guys im still waiting on my strings to come in and when they do ill post my comments on them and again thanks and if any one else has any imput pls feel free to share thanks

ok got my strings in and the problem im having with them is they twist up easy and i guess they might be old cause the one is already starting to break

wow, your kevlar string is breaking? kevlar is suppose to last longggggg … did you order these from yoyoexpert? or you got them from a trade, cus if you got them from a trade then… the they are not new.  And if you bought them from here then you can get your $ back, I am sure.

but as far as the string twisting… its probably string tension …

just typed this on google and :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwYGRBIU8GU

I was going to get kevlar, but last time I ordered they were out. But I got some Toxics, YYE Poly, and I make my own, so I guess I’m set

i bought them brand new from yye ive had nothing but problem with the yoyo and the strings i put the fat unresponsive bearing on my DM2 and it was unresponsive for the first day then it started to make a noies so i oiled it and now its so responsive i cant do tricks really cause it keep winding up and as for the strings there brand new ill do a trapezz or a short brain twister and they twist up bad what to do

If you are a “newer” yo-yoer the Kevlar strings may not have been the best choice. Try some normal poly for a while. Also, I’d like to see a picture of the string that is breaking. Those things should last a very long time.