Just got YYF StarLite and Whip

Picked up these guys this week after deciding I wanted to try an unresponsive yo yo. I haven’t really been into yo yos in a really long time and I saw videos of the string tricks people were doing and thought it was just so cool lol

I have never had a YYF throw (mostly duncan and maybe yomega back in the day) but I knew I wanted the starlite cause I was considering getting a protostar and I wasn’t quite ready to make the jump just yet… figured I could get a starlite to start off. The thing slept forever out of the box and the catch zone is so wide it’s hard to not land it on the string.

My purchase of the whip was perhaps purely an impulse buy but I couldn’t resist. I dont regret the purchase once I felt it in my hand, feels super solid and spins pretty darn fast. Now I’m thinking I’ll practice with my whip instead of risking my main starlite… which can/has taken a few knocks already :stuck_out_tongue:

I know my throws are nothing special but this is new to me and I’m having alot of fun with them and I guess that’s what really matters. Anyway, what are your impressions of these throws and do you think I’ll be set for a while before having to get a metal?

I just started about a month ago or so and when i started those were also the first 2 that i bought lol. They are both awesome yoyo’s and can last as long as you need them to pretty much. I have a buddy who has been yoyo’ing for years and anything he can do with a high end metal he can do with a starlite.

1 Like

Welcome to yye! ;D

Awesome, yeah I heard nothing but good stuff about the starlite so I figured it was a safe investment. The whip is fun too and I really like the textured surface… I’ve thought about getting another for mods and such. I figure if I sandblasted the sides of the yo yo I could add flowable silicone around the center for weight.

I even have a digital scale so I could possibly make it the same weight as a northstar or whatever yo yo specs I wanted and be considerably accurate.

And thank you very much for the welcome :slight_smile:

Trust me on this. Don’t sell them both. You got an awesome yoyo right there. Both of the are top notch, I can do all my tricks on a One Drop Code1(it’s an expensive “high tech” aluminum yoyo) but I can do them on my northstar without fear of dropping it so I’m actually smoother with the plastic. And since they are your first yoyos you will grow attached to them. Trust me

I wasn’t planning to get rid of them, in fact I’ve already gotten pretty attached to them lol

Plus it’s kind of in my nature to collect things I have interest in… which is what I did with yo yos back in the day was collect and tweak more so than practice. I’m changing that now though… got two yo yos that are great for what I want to do so I can focus more. Kind of a “no excuses” situation :stuck_out_tongue:

This thread was pretty much me gushing over YYF lol

i know exactly how you feel about collecting them lol im doing the same thing. Ie been yoyo’ing for about a month now and have already bought about 9 or 10 lol, and there are sooooo more that i want but the GF would KILL me if i spent any more money so soon lol. So i’ve unfortunately resorted to having to trade them as much as it kills me lol

What YYF throws do you own Dyepb?

I’m actually considering what metal yo yos I’m interested in now and I think I either want a Super G or a Rockstar for a near future upgrade… only reason I’m not fully on board with the Super G is it has “Gentry Stein” written on it. I like Gentry and all but it’s a little over the top for my taste.

BTW I weighed my Starlite a few minutes ago and it is showing 61.9 without string and 62.7 w/string instead of the 65g YYE shows for anyone who cares lol

I own a whip, starlite, dv888, an 888x and a 2.0. The 2.0 is by far my favorite so far, i cant say anything about the super g or rockstar since iev never used them but i do hear good things about both if were gonna buy one to try it would prolly be the super G though