Issues trying to undermount from trapeze

I got my Heist in the mail today and have been working hard at learning binds. After watching a video by Dylan Kowalski I learned a way to practice the plastic whip, while sitting on the couch watching tv, by the end of the movie brother bear, I have it down pretty good and can hit it one out of three times in real motion. However, trying to hit the undermount from the trapeze is killing me, I either miss the string completely, or I can’t give it enough slack in time to let it loop back around my non throw hand. I have been trying to find videos that give detailed instructions on what little things I may be doing wrong, but have been coming up short. Anybody able to give me a little insight on this one?

2 Likes

I wish Kowalski was on this forum. All of his videos on yoyoing are awesome.

5 Likes

2 thing I did to help learn and also used for my son was to make sure i kept the yoyo a couple inches from my non throw hand and practice trapeze then off trapeze then on etc. Just flipping in and out of trapeze index finger to middle finger. Then as that became more comfortable it naturally would hit the underside of the string. I would let it bounce off and go back to trapeze and so on. Before you know all the timing was right and the yoyo was following through to to the under mount.

3 Likes

For sure, he does great reviews and very well explained tutorials for learning tricks

2 Likes

Thanks Jim, that sounds like really sound advice, I will practice those fundamental movements and let things gradually grow in the right direction for me, just hard to not get frustrated sometimes when you fail for the hundredth time in a row, lol. I finally just gave up on it for the night and played around with splitting the atom and binding with the plastic whip to make me feel better about myself hahaha :joy:

3 Likes

I know this isn’t going to sound helpful at all, but I was suffering with missing the side undermount at first too, and don’t even get me started on binding from it. The only thing that helped me was being told (by @andy569) that it would all come with practice. He was right. There is nothing like putting in a thousand throws to get a trick down.

Having said that, it helps to try small adjustments to what you are doing because if you do the same wrong move a thousand times all you’ll be doing is reinforcing the wrong technique. Change the distance your hands are from each other as the yoyo flies around from the trapeze. Try different speeds (doing it too slowly can really ruin the necessary momentum). Etc.

4 Likes

Woah! 3 people replying at the same time!

2 Likes

That actually helps a lot zslane, because that’s exactly what I have been doing, doing the exact same thing a hundred times over and expecting different results :joy: I will try to tweak a few things and keep at it when my patience feels restored.

1 Like

Good idea. Sometimes a fresh day gives us a new perspective. We get stuck by doing something wrong a hundred times and expecting success. I watched tutorials literally hundreds of times before I got Split the Atom correctly. All the frustration was worth it!

1 Like

@zslane that was INCREDIBLY good advice!

1 Like

i remember learning how to undermount at first. i remember looking for actual tutorials on the undermount by itself because i was such a noob. i eventually caught on with it by getting really good at my 1.5, and then just trying to hit the underside theof the string by pinwheeling.

1 Like

Isn’t that the definition of insanity? Lol
But in all seriousness, just practice, practice, practice. The undermount and 1.5 mount will feel a little awkward to start, since you’re so used to landing on top of your string, but you’ll get it in time.
Something that helped me was going from trapeze to undermount over and over, getting used to using my middle finger and moving my pointer out of the way.

3 Likes

I used to have the Same issue. What I noticed helps the most is to slightly move your throw-hand hand closer to your non-throw hand and that should get you straight in an undermount. Practice that, and you’ll be able to do it while closing your eyes.:wink:

3 Likes

I know how disappointing it is to put in hours of practice and still not succeed in what you are doing, but oftentimes when im learning a trick (or anything really) is that after a good night’s sleep the experience earned will be invaluable for your next session. At night the human brain reinforces skills and memories, so the next time you attempt it you will more than likely have greater success. You may feel like you wasted your time when you give up in frustration after practicing for hours, but fear not, it is still valuable experience. In times like these it almost feels like life is an RPG, lol (and no, im not an NPC).

6 Likes